Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2021, 02:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Wardrobe mods and organization ideas

The wardrobe in our coach is absolutely cavernous compared to the one in our old trailer but I just can't find a way to use the space efficiently. The bottom part is shallow and the upper part goes way back but it's difficult to reach anything back there.

Does anyone have any pics of what they've done to make good use of space in a wardrobe like this one?

As seen in the pics I've tried one of those hanging closet organizers as well as a small plastic drawer cart. The closet organizer has a habit of dumping the contents so they fall out when the door opens and the drawers on the cart are too narrow and too shallow to make decent clothing drawers.

What I think I need are a couple more drawers like the ones underneath taking up the shallow part of the bottom (so a total of 6 drawers). And then some way to make use of the really deep part in the back.

I've found some stackable drawer sets but they're either too small to be useful or too wide to slide open due to the wood frame down the center of the opening. I'm about ready to chop that out because it doesn't look like it does anything but it's probably a load bearing stick propping up the ceiling of the slide it's on

24" Wide:
https://smile.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-...dp/B004DEWHNW/
Fits 16" door opening but just seems too small:
https://smile.amazon.com/IRIS-USA-SB...dp/B075RBCJF8/

The perfect size would be 16x16x19 (WxHxL) to fill that shallow front part of the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210316_213113.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	29153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210316_213013.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	29154  

Old 03-17-2021, 02:51 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
The wardrobe in my Hurricane is even larger than that and I just use it as delivered.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 04:20 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #13228
We have the 24F same closet. Our deep upper has heavy sleeping bags for additional bedding. Below are 4 stacking bins (2 high x 2 wide) for additional linens/towels and additional clothing for long trips. Like you we have plastic drawer unit in the front, only larger unit that fills the door area on one side.

We measured the closet dimensions, then went shopping at Wally and Targe stores for the bins/drawers to fill the spaces. Works well for us. Find what works or fills your desires for storage.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 03-17-2021, 05:34 AM   #4

State: Texas
THOR #22569
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastrd View Post

The perfect size would be 16x16x19 (WxHxL) to fill that shallow front part of the bottom.
If you can't find it, make it. Get some plywood, wood glue and a brad nailer and make what you need. You can even get the extra spiffy roller bearing soft close drawer slides. There are about a million YouTube tutorials on making drawer sets. You can get 2 x 7" deep drawers out of your 16 inches.

Draw it out, be careful with your math since you'll have to subtract the width of the plywood from the dimensions. Get someone who does woodworking to look it over and most of the time the store will cut the bits for you if you don't have a saw but you do have what's called a cut list.

Bonus points for being fancy and painting it or covering it in contact paper.