Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2020, 01:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 30.2
State: California
THOR #9323
Replace jack-knife sofa with recliners ACE 30.2

Has anyone replace replaced the very uncomfortable jack-knife sofa with recliners in 2017 ACE 30.2 Was it hard to do? What type brand/type did you replace it with Any pictures would be appreciated as well.

I search this forum, but only find everything but for a 30.2

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #20774
Like this?? ~~In my 2019 30.2.

• 10-times more comfortable than the factory jack-knife
  • Made in China (I think they all are). I'm concerned about the pleather material holding up.
  • It comes "modular", so its easy to get in the RV & install.
  • You lose some safety in my opinion. Mine is still sitting "loose" in the RV. The manufacturer will not recommend or direct you how to secure the set to the floor (for liability reasons). Same goes for the use of the seat belts. Eventually, I'll figure something out using the existing mounts, but I have other fires to fight with the RV at the moment.
  • You lose some walk space when the slide is closed; and, when the slide is opened & the recliner is out.
  • The jack-knife sofa is a B--- to get out. Two person job, & expect some bumps.
  • You'll have to relocate the Fire Extinguisher, as pictured.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:48 AM   #3

THOR #9323
Awesome. Looks good. Thank you very much for posting!

Any others out there?
Old 10-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
I’ve explored this in my 30.2 but with the slide closed It would almost contact the chairs (rough measurements). Most I’ve seen require 4” of back clearance to recline. With the cup shelf behind the chairs this means 4” from that cup shelf. With the depth of the chairs themselves I measured almost no walking room to the cab section. I’d be curious to see what your spacing is with the side closed. I desperately want to do this mod.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:43 AM   #5

THOR #20774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
I’d be curious to see what your spacing is with the side closed. I desperately want to do this mod.
Here's the space I have with the slide closed ...

(pardon the mess/drawers on the dinette table, I've been working on a plumbing leak in the bathroom - sink supply line had a staple through it)

Old 10-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
Thanks for the pics. That looks awesome. I noted in the second pic the back is almost butted against the cup shelf. I was scoping out this model and says it needs 3” of back clearance to recline. Perhaps I was looking at the wrong model? How does that work for you?
Old 10-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #7

THOR #20774
Quote:
I was scoping out this model and says it needs 3” of back clearance to recline. Perhaps I was looking at the wrong model? How does that work for you?
When I get this plumbing project fixed (waiting on parts) I'll get some pics taken of the slide open & the recliner out. Honestly, I can't recall if there is a back spacing problem. I'll say that I've not secured the recliners & they do easily move around ("not" desired).
Old 10-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
I’ve explored this in my 30.2 but with the slide closed It would almost contact the chairs (rough measurements). Most I’ve seen require 4” of back clearance to recline. With the cup shelf behind the chairs this means 4” from that cup shelf. With the depth of the chairs themselves I measured almost no walking room to the cab section. I’d be curious to see what your spacing is with the side closed. I desperately want to do this mod.
We have a 2016 30.1 so our setup isn’t quite the same but we had the 4” cup shelf. When we had ours installed we had them remove the cup shelf. Also the people that installed them bolted them down/in.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #9

THOR #9323
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatwate View Post
We have a 2016 30.1 so our setup isn’t quite the same but we had the 4” cup shelf. When we had ours installed we had them remove the cup shelf. Also the people that installed them bolted them down/in.
Thank you for your response. In a 30.2 there is a wood box under the shelf that I believe houses the outside tv. So even if i remove the shelf I will have this box to deal with. I purchased the 68"(?) recliner set from RecPro so hopefully it will fit. BTW received the RecPro recliners within a week of ordering.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:51 AM   #10

THOR #15749
Siesta

I have a 24’ Siesta with a pull out couch bed that is not very comfortable, thinking that the jack knife could be better, any thoughts? Where are you located in Ca?
Old 10-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #11

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Nevada
THOR #17346
we replaced ours with Thomas Payne recliners. not hard to remove old, easy modular recliners were easy to get in the door. bolting to the floor took a little work in drilling the bolts through the recliner frame into the floor with proper alignment, but got it done and all is very good now. well worth the effort if you don't need the old sofa and bed. make sure you check the clearance when reclined against the wall. while I was at it, I wired a 110 outlet with a power strip where there was a junction box in back of the sofa. there is some storage space around the recliners in my configuration.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:05 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletskop View Post
Thank you for your response. In a 30.2 there is a wood box under the shelf that I believe houses the outside tv. So even if i remove the shelf I will have this box to deal with. I purchased the 68"(?) recliner set from RecPro so hopefully it will fit. BTW received the RecPro recliners within a week of ordering.
Congratulations on the start of this upgrade: please take lots of pictures for us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #13

THOR #9323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwettemann View Post
I have a 24’ Siesta with a pull out couch bed that is not very comfortable, thinking that the jack knife could be better, any thoughts? Where are you located in Ca?
Im in Rancho Cucamonga
Old 10-18-2020, 11:39 PM   #14

State: Arkansas
THOR #19866
Recpro Reclining Love seat

We have a 2017 Thor 30.2 and replaced the sofa-bed with a Recpro. It was not difficult. Make sure you have clearance to recline when slide is extended. Secured metal frame of seats to seat belt bolts. Little clearance to walk when slide is retracted but the added comfort is worth it. My DW loves it!
Old 10-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
How about some pictures?
Old 10-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #16

THOR #9323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwood drifter View Post
We have a 2017 Thor 30.2 and replaced the sofa-bed with a Recpro. It was not difficult. Make sure you have clearance to recline when slide is extended. Secured metal frame of seats to seat belt bolts. Little clearance to walk when slide is retracted but the added comfort is worth it. My DW loves it!
Ddi have to remove the shelf and wood box behind it?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #17

THOR #18343
Have a Freedom Elite 22fe thinking of removing table and benches and installing two recliners amd possibly small removable table. There’s just me and the wife. The dinette setup is definitely uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of. Anyone have any thoughts??
Old 10-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #18

THOR #19866
Recpro love seats

The love seats only allow for 6" walkway with slide retracted but allows 24 " walkway with slide out. This is allowing for love seats to recline fully with slide extended. Did not attempt to remove the cup holder behind seats because the external TV is located below it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201019_095930918.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	26788   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201019_100149194.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	26789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201019_100350128.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	26790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201019_100514338.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	26791  

Old 10-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #19

THOR #19866
Thanks for the interest in project. I appreciate all of you. Love your posts.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:00 AM   #20

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Recliners in ACE 27.2?

Wondering if these recliners would fit in my ACE 27.2? The cup tray would not be removed because the outside TV is located there like previous mentioned.