Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #7188
Uniform temperature

We changed to the digital Coleman, but was still unhappy about its responsiveness to the point I thought it was defective. Without changing the setting, you'd be cold then hot - never just right. The "swing" is not adjustable. Turns out, no problem with the thermostat but the coach requires a small fan be on all the time to get a uniform and constant temperature throughout.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #22

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Well, I was out and about today and decided to buy a thermostat at Lowe's. After pulling the old one off the wall, it seems that there are multiple wires being fed into single wires going to the thermostat (white AND blue coming out of the wall, feeding the blue on the thermostat), AND the one I bought requires a C-wire, so that's not going to work, correct?

Now I have to try to piece the old one back together and put it back on the wall for now. I'll order the Coleman Airxcel from Amazon and replace it when I get home from this trip.... Thanks for all the input, but rather than play with multiple wires and mixing colors (and losing one speed setting on the fan) I'll do the simple solution. Wish me luck getting it all back on the wall or it's gonna be a cold camping trip. LOL
Better grab that electric space heater in the garage! LOL
Old 08-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #23

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Did the Honeywell change out a few years ago and other than the loss of the two speed A/C fan everything work just fine. Same model as the video also. Wire colors matched so it was a simple five minute project. Change the batteries each year as part of dewinterization.

Now if I could just get the navigator to stop adjusting the temperature in 10 degree increments when she is hot or cold life will be even better.
I guess the next mod should be a lockable cage around the t-stat.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #24

Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I did the same swap but added an extra SPDT switch for fan speeds - works great. Here's the video:

This is the thermostat I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will this also control the furnace/heater?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwilli1 View Post
Will this also control the furnace/heater?
Yes it does
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 PM   #26

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
You must use the youtube instructions to wire the Honeywell t-stats, NOT the instruction that come with the Honeywell.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:53 PM   #27

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
I have replaced both of mine with Honeywell residential units.

You must use a replacement that does NOT require a "C" wire. The right one will typically require batteries (instead of powered by then "C" wire.

The only other advice is to not follow the colors of the wires in the wall. Cut the wires (they are hard wired) near the old thermostate and match them.

The Honeywell thermostat should have terminals for 5 wires: "Y," "G," "Rh," "Rc," and "W." Note the jumper between the "Rh" and "Rc" terminals? Leave that jumper installed.

This will operate your heat and A/C, but you will loose the Hi/Lo fan option. I opted to wire in order to use the fan on high as follows:

Red wire to “Rh” terminal (Rh and Rc utilize a jumper)
White wire to “W” terminal
Yellow wire to “Y” terminal
Green wire to “G” terminal
Gray (not connected)
Blue (not connected)

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:24 AM   #28

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.irwin.59@gmail.com View Post
I have replaced both of mine with Honeywell residential units.

You must use a replacement that does NOT require a "C" wire. The right one will typically require batteries (instead of powered by then "C" wire.

The only other advice is to not follow the colors of the wires in the wall. Cut the wires (they are hard wired) near the old thermostate and match them.

The Honeywell thermostat should have terminals for 5 wires: "Y," "G," "Rh," "Rc," and "W." Note the jumper between the "Rh" and "Rc" terminals? Leave that jumper installed.

This will operate your heat and A/C, but you will loose the Hi/Lo fan option. I opted to wire in order to use the fan on high as follows:

Red wire to “Rh” terminal (Rh and Rc utilize a jumper)
White wire to “W” terminal
Yellow wire to “Y” terminal
Green wire to “G” terminal
Gray (not connected)
Blue (not connected)

Hope this helps.
X2 on this. 5 minute job
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 AM   #29

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
Yup. Key is having the right thermostat replacement.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #30

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
I replaced the POS Coleman thermostat with a Honeywell a couple of years ago. The Honeywell does require a battery as it’s a residential thermostat that normally wants power from a transformer. In an RV you don’t have that power so you need the battery. Nice thing about the Honeywell is that there is a back lit display so you can see the setting when DW decides its too cold/too hot at 3 AM.

The Love Your RV post details the swap process, including the external hi/lo fan switch

https://www.loveyourrv.com/rv-thermo...focuspro-5000/

I used a more attractive switch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #31

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I replaced my thermostat three years ago with a residential one with a battery and it works well and the temperature “swing” is easily adjustable. I also purchased a small switch which I installed to give me both low and high fan settings. I found that I did not really need the low setting, so the switch was not really necessary. One word of caution. Some instructions tell you to combine the high and low fan wires. Do not do that. It confuses the control box up in the A/C unit and causes the unit to not work correctly. Just use the high fan wire and tape off the low fan speed wire.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:56 PM   #32

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11777
Bluetooth Digital replacement

I replaced my Coleman Mach with a Bluetooth digital. Wires were same configuration and easily traceable to match new one. Now I can control temperature with my phone using an app. Nice to be in bed and be able to change the ac temp without getting up. App allows for all settings that existed on non digital original thermostat. I can even see the current temperature on my phone and thermostat on wall. Wall thermostat also has controls.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:22 AM   #33

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
ALMOST perfect

Well, I order4ed the Coleman digital from Amazon as some folks had suggested, and the installation went perfectly. One wire at a time (as suggested) and it works perfectly. There's just one little problem. I was in such a rush to order it, I didn't think about the color. One of these things is not like the others

I'll order another one in black when I get home from this trip and return the white one. D'OH!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1-1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	19994  
Old 09-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
THOR #12223
Hi
Which Bluetooth model did you choose? Thinking about doing the same thing.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #35

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11777
AirXcel Bluetooth thermostat

KBS... https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Colem...-p/72-5831.htm. This is the link of the model I purchased. You need to know which model you have of the old thermostat to make sure it is compatable. If so then you just wire it the same as your old one, download the app and use. Very easy and so far so good.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #36

State: Colorado
THOR #6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Greetings! I've searched the forums and seen so many different threads I'm now thoroughly confused.

2018 Thor Chateau 31W with a Coleman Mach 15k BTU air conditioning unit on the roof. No heat strip (although I'd love to get one). Propane furnace.

The thermostat (as pictured) is losing its touch with reality, and I'd like to replace it with a digital one, but I have no electrical background. The slider can sit in one position and the A/C will stay on forever or sometimes not start up at all. If I shut it off for and walk away to cuss to myself under my breath for a few minutes, it usually comes back to its senses, but will turn on when the slider hits the trigger temp and then never shut off when the desired temperature is reached.

Some threads mentioned a Honeywell unit (but every thread recommends a different model) and one recommended an Orbit unit (which I noticed only has an ON/AUTO for fan and no way to adjust it for HI or LOW flow).

Has anyone replaced theirs with a digital unit and had everything go RIGHT? Most threads involve jumpers, swapping wires, and lots of head scratching that would just leave me feeling frustrated and angry with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

I'll answer any questions you may have if you need more info, but I'm hoping for one unequivocal correct "guaranteed to work every time" model that an idiot can match wire for wire and not screw it up. Yes, THIS idiot. LOL

Many thanks!!
Just went through that, replaced with Coleman 83303863, very easy swap, be sure and take picture before undoing wires, turn off electrical power to unit. Works great brings temp very close, like your home.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:40 AM   #37

State: Connecticut
THOR #16509
Went with a smart unit

Followed these instructions:

https://janeandjohn.org/pages/Ecobee1.html

Outside the single fan speed (I never used low anyways) it's been great. Can check the status anywhere in the world and set a temp. I found it turning on the fan over winter for an hour a day realy helped keep away any mustiness (It will do this automatically). Great to have the camper down to temp when we get back from day trips.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #38

State: Kentucky
THOR #5108
Thermostat replacement

I saw the op had replaced the original thermostat because of the very reason we want to do the same, So I ordered a Honeywell digital from amazon model number RTH5100B, Everything went well except the a/c would not come on, Fan worked, heater worked but no A/C, Setting down trying to make sure I had it all wired correctly and the A/C kicked on and started running.

So I located the manual and started reading, Seems the thermostat waits 5 minutes to make sure not to damage the A/C compressor called Quote

"built in compressor protection" This feature helps prevent damage to the a/c or heat pump system. Damage can occur if the compressor is restarted too soon after shutdown This feature forces the compressor to wait a few minutes before restarting.

During the wait time the display flashes the message "cool on" When the safe wait time has elapsed the message stops flashing and the A/C starts working. End Quote.

My problem is it waits several minutes when I first turn it on!
This feature I do not like but in reading the book I can't see any way to disable it.
I may have wasted $50.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #39

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsasser View Post
I saw the op had replaced the original thermostat because of the very reason we want to do the same, So I ordered a Honeywell digital from amazon model number RTH5100B, Everything went well except the a/c would not come on, Fan worked, heater worked but no A/C, Setting down trying to make sure I had it all wired correctly and the A/C kicked on and started running.

So I located the manual and started reading, Seems the thermostat waits 5 minutes to make sure not to damage the A/C compressor called Quote

"built in compressor protection" This feature helps prevent damage to the a/c or heat pump system. Damage can occur if the compressor is restarted too soon after shutdown This feature forces the compressor to wait a few minutes before restarting.

During the wait time the display flashes the message "cool on" When the safe wait time has elapsed the message stops flashing and the A/C starts working. End Quote.

My problem is it waits several minutes when I first turn it on!
This feature I do not like but in reading the book I can't see any way to disable it.
I may have wasted $50.
Try turning the fan on for 30 seconds before kicking in the A/C. Mine turns on immediately.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:47 PM   #40

State: Kentucky
THOR #5108
Thermostat replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Try turning the fan on for 30 seconds before kicking in the A/C. Mine turns on immediately.
It worked like you said, Thank you!!

Tags
coleman, digital, mach, replace, thermostat