Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Replace junk thermostat?

Greetings! I've searched the forums and seen so many different threads I'm now thoroughly confused.

2018 Thor Chateau 31W with a Coleman Mach 15k BTU air conditioning unit on the roof. No heat strip (although I'd love to get one). Propane furnace.

The thermostat (as pictured) is losing its touch with reality, and I'd like to replace it with a digital one, but I have no electrical background. The slider can sit in one position and the A/C will stay on forever or sometimes not start up at all. If I shut it off for and walk away to cuss to myself under my breath for a few minutes, it usually comes back to its senses, but will turn on when the slider hits the trigger temp and then never shut off when the desired temperature is reached.

Some threads mentioned a Honeywell unit (but every thread recommends a different model) and one recommended an Orbit unit (which I noticed only has an ON/AUTO for fan and no way to adjust it for HI or LOW flow).

Has anyone replaced theirs with a digital unit and had everything go RIGHT? Most threads involve jumpers, swapping wires, and lots of head scratching that would just leave me feeling frustrated and angry with myself for not knowing more about how the system works.

I'll answer any questions you may have if you need more info, but I'm hoping for one unequivocal correct "guaranteed to work every time" model that an idiot can match wire for wire and not screw it up. Yes, THIS idiot. LOL

Many thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	19770  

Old 08-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #12686
Yes, quite simple. One existing wire will not be used with the Honeywell because there will only be one fan speed. The RV thermostat had 2 fan speeds. There is little difference in the speeds so not necessary to have 2. Watch the attached video and you should have no problems. Worlds of difference with a good digital thermostat that actually responds to your settings.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3&&FORM=VRDGAR
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #3

THOR #12686
If you are still uncomfortable, I can take a picture of the wiring on mine and post it. I installed a Honeywell programable (see link), installs the same way.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywel...600D/203539463
Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
I did the same swap but added an extra SPDT switch for fan speeds - works great. Here's the video:

This is the thermostat I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:15 AM   #5

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavemike View Post
Yes, quite simple. One existing wire will not be used with the Honeywell because there will only be one fan speed. The RV thermostat had 2 fan speeds. There is little difference in the speeds so not necessary to have 2.

Since there are dozens of videos (using different honeywell models), would you recommend one over the others?

So far I've seen several different ones used, soldering in toggle switches, taping off wires, etc. and I'm still thoroughly confused. LOL

I've established that green or gray is the fan speed, but no idea which is which, and the red one is for power to the thermostat which may or may not be used depending on if the new thermostat has batteries, correct?
Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 AM   #6

THOR #13591
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I did the same swap but added an extra SPDT switch for fan speeds - works great. Here's the video:

This is the thermostat I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On one of the youtube videos I saw, the green and gray wires were for fan speed, but in yours, it appears that the wire you capped off (low fan) was white. Is there no set color coding in these things? I did like your labeling system to prevent extra confusion! Thank you!

and you lost me with SPDT. No clue what that means.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:23 AM   #7

THOR #13591
I'm heading out for two weeks in the rig on Saturday. If the thermostat continues to give me fits, I may just go to Lowe's and buy one off the shelf and replace it at the campground.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #8

THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
I'm heading out for two weeks in the rig on Saturday. If the thermostat continues to give me fits, I may just go to Lowe's and buy one off the shelf and replace it at the campground.
You can do it on the road. The Honeywell I have (in the link above) requires no soldering or jumper wires. It's pretty cut and dry. I will try to get that picture tomorrow (may be Saturday morning) and post it here for you. It will take you about 30 minutes but don't hurry. Take your time and enjoy modifying your coach. You will have that sense of accomplishment that makes you feel good when you wake up in the morning.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 AM   #9

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Just buy and do what the You tube you pick tells you to do. Many have done it including me. BUT be sure there are no wirenut joints in the wall like I had what a PITA. Color change. As stated you don't need two speeds. Just hook up the low speed. you will not use the red wire most of the time. You can not follow the instructions in the box.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:44 AM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
On one of the youtube videos I saw, the green and gray wires were for fan speed, but in yours, it appears that the wire you capped off (low fan) was white. Is there no set color coding in these things? I did like your labeling system to prevent extra confusion! Thank you!

That's not MY video, it's the same one pavemike referenced but without going through the Bing search.

Most thermostats use 24 VAC in a house system so you have to get one with battery power since the RV supplies 12 VDC which will still be used because that is what is relayed to the furnace and AC to trigger them to turn on.

SPDT equals Single Pole Dual Throw switch; essentially routing the "FAN" on signal to the two different fan speeds in the Ac through the switch. But as previously mentioned you don't need this; just use the high speed fan, the slow speed is really not all that slow.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:46 AM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:

The type of switch...
SPDT is a single pole double throw switch.
It will take a single wire (single pole) and connect it to one of 2 outputs (double throw).
A simple on/off type switch for single wire would be SPST - single pole, single throw....
A switch making 2 separate connections would be DPST - double pole single throw, or DPDT - double pole double throw, depending on how many outputs there are.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:54 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Coleman Mach makes a digital replacement one that is simple to replace wire for wire--I replaced ours with it: here it is on Amazon.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Coleman Mach makes a digital replacement one that is simple to replace wire for wire--I replaced ours with it: here it is on Amazon.

That is also the one that we used. Tremendous improvement over the OEM thermostat. Allows you to control the LO/HI fan setting just like the original. The digital one allows you to actually set the temperature and expect it to get the temperature you want....

It is also a wire for wire match for installation!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:33 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
If you want the simplest solution that is pretty hard to screw up, then get this:
Coleman Airxcel 8330-3862 T-Stat Wall Digital Heat/Cool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8LFHT3..._M40xDbNZPXHBW

Simply unscrew the old thermostat from the wall. Then, one wire at a time, disconnect each wire from the old thermostat and connect it to the same terminal on the new one. Lastly, screw the new thermostat to the wall.

It might not be the cheapest solution, but there is very little to mess up and it is designed to be a drop in replacement for the analog thermostat.

I did this in my Axis and it only took about 15 minutes total.

I think a lot of people get in trouble when they disconnect all the wires at once. Oh, and don’t pay any attention to the colors of the wires. There are standards for what the colors are supposed to be, but don’t trust that the installers at the factory followed them. So, whatever wire came off the R terminal on the old thermostat should go on the R terminal on the new one. Even if it isn’t a red wire.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:25 AM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I also installed the Coleman Mach digital thermostat in my Axis. The wire colors match perfectly so it was easy but the OEM wires were very short coming out of the wall (wanted to fall behind the wall so be careful).

It took me about 30 min to install. But it works great. One of my best mods.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #16

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
The Coleman digital version was the very first mod I did!

azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #17

State: Georgia
THOR #11774
The Coleman digital I believe is a plug and play replacement.

If you go with a residential unit (eg: Honeywell) it is critical that you get one that does NOT require a "C" wire (24VAC). The correct one will have batteries.

I replaced both of my original units with Honeywell digital ones. Works well.

The wires in the wall do not follow the standard thermostat colors.
Old 08-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #18

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
I changed mine to a digital Coleman and replaced one wire at a time. The color coded wires were the same. This is the one I purchased:
Coleman Mach 8330-3362 RV Digital Wall Thermostat.

It’s easy to change out and I guarantee you’ll be much happier than the one it comes with.

Brett
Old 08-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Did the Honeywell change out a few years ago and other than the loss of the two speed A/C fan everything work just fine. Same model as the video also. Wire colors matched so it was a simple five minute project. Change the batteries each year as part of dewinterization.

Now if I could just get the navigator to stop adjusting the temperature in 10 degree increments when she is hot or cold life will be even better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190324_195019.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	19790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_195050.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	19791  

Name:	20190324_195100.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	19792  
Old 08-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #20

THOR #13591
Crap

Well, I was out and about today and decided to buy a thermostat at Lowe's. After pulling the old one off the wall, it seems that there are multiple wires being fed into single wires going to the thermostat (white AND blue coming out of the wall, feeding the blue on the thermostat), AND the one I bought requires a C-wire, so that's not going to work, correct?

Now I have to try to piece the old one back together and put it back on the wall for now. I'll order the Coleman Airxcel from Amazon and replace it when I get home from this trip.... Thanks for all the input, but rather than play with multiple wires and mixing colors (and losing one speed setting on the fan) I'll do the simple solution. Wish me luck getting it all back on the wall or it's gonna be a cold camping trip. LOL

Tags
coleman, digital, mach, replace, thermostat