Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2018, 11:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #10326
replace kitchen roof vent with fantastic fan

I am not really happy with the Thor not putting a stove top fan in my 2018 Four Winds 24f. The vent that they "replaced" it with does not adequately remove cooking odors and smoke from the interior of the unit. I am really tired of hearing the smoke alarm.
I want to replace the vent in the roof with a fantastic fan. My question is where do I pull the wires from to get the 12 volts to the fan.

Thanks is advance for any help you can give me.

Russ
Lake Tahoe

Old 03-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Quantum
State: California
THOR #9015
Cooktop Vent

We too were surprised to learn our 2017 Quantum had no fan over the cooktop. I cannot answer your question, but we did have a fan added over the cooktop. It was under 400 dollars installed.

It does not completely solve the problem with the smoke alarm going off but it helps. Bacon seems to set it off no mater what.

One thing I do that also helps it to crack the window by the cooktop and turn on the power vent in the back of our rig while cooking. The power vent in back is at the opposite end of the RV compared to the smoke detector. The air moving to the back of the rig and away from the smoke detector helps keep it from going off. If you have a powered fan that can draw air away from the smoke detector that may help.

I am still considering unplugging the existing smoke alarm and replacing it with a non wired unit that runs off battery. The one I got for our house has a 7 year battery life. This way I can install it in a location a bit further from the cooktop. Our current detector is very close to the range which is also part of the problem.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you have the storage space you could pick up one of these guys (Amazon) and just cook outside.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:37 AM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoeruss View Post
I am not really happy with the Thor not putting a stove top fan in my 2018 Four Winds 24f. The vent that they "replaced" it with does not adequately remove cooking odors and smoke from the interior of the unit. I am really tired of hearing the smoke alarm.
I want to replace the vent in the roof with a fantastic fan. My question is where do I pull the wires from to get the 12 volts to the fan.

Russ
Lake Tahoe
I installed a Fantastic fan at the kitchen location in our 2016 WS31. There isn't any power at my location either. And, having one light switch for the front of the coach made tapping into power at a light wasn't available either. There are square conduits for the light wiring. I used them to pull my new wire, but I also had to run outside of the conduits as well. I aimed for my control panel near the entry door. I then used the wiring to one of the "tank heaters" to tap into. If figured I wouldn't ever be using the fan if I had the heaters on. Plus, it would be capable of handling plenty of amps to run a heater. I did have to use a coat hanger straightened out to push through the ceiling foam. It was a PITA, but it is working out great.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #11029
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
I installed a Fantastic fan at the kitchen location in our 2016 WS31. There isn't any power at my location either. And, having one light switch for the front of the coach made tapping into power at a light wasn't available either. There are square conduits for the light wiring. I used them to pull my new wire, but I also had to run outside of the conduits as well. I aimed for my control panel near the entry door. I then used the wiring to one of the "tank heaters" to tap into. If figured I wouldn't ever be using the fan if I had the heaters on. Plus, it would be capable of handling plenty of amps to run a heater. I did have to use a coat hanger straightened out to push through the ceiling foam. It was a PITA, but it is working out great.
Can you provide any more detail or pictures of your Fantastic Fan retrofit. I'm considering the same on my 2017 Gemini 23TR. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:19 AM   #6

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoeruss View Post

Russ
Lake Tahoe
I would pull the interior vent trim down first, there are 4 screws that hold this trim in place. The wires might be there already.
I have a 2018 Four winds 22E and added fans to over the cab vent and the vent over the Rear bed. In both vents once the trim was removed the wires were there and had power going to them. I did not check the kitchen over the stove vent Yet.

Tags
fan, oven, vent