Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2021, 04:33 PM   #1

Brand: Highland
Model: 212FB
State: Michigan
THOR #25652
Ceiling Paint Type needed

So, I picked up my new 2022 Range Lite from the dealer in late October and on my first trip out I noticed this spot on the ceiling. You can't really see it in the bright day, but at night when the lights go on it is obvious.

It is apparent the manufacturer repaired a hole in the panel before they installed it in the ceiling. They actually did a nice job, but I think they missed a 2nd coat of paint.

The dealer wants to replace the entire panel (it is located above the bed) but if I just has some ceiling paint or whatever brand was used it would save me the headaches of taking the trailer in (it is a 50 mile one way trip).

They ordered a panel and got it in. It is a 4x8 sheet of luan painted the same white. (I now have the sheet inside the trailer in storage) So they are going to need to cut it down to size and cut the holes for the lights, re-glue it in. Based on previous work I can't say I feel comfortable that they would do a good job.

Does anybody know the paint type (Sherwin Williams, Behr, Dutchboy, etc.) and if it is just ceiling paint or a mixed color with a specific code? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	35394  

Old 12-30-2021, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Any ceiling panel I've had in all my RVs was covered with a thin sheet of vinyl - not paint.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

THOR #25652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Any ceiling panel I've had in all my RVs was covered with a thin sheet of vinyl - not paint.
Thanks. This ceiling is most certainly painted and not vinyl coated. The dealer got the panel in from the Mfg. and is letting me hold onto it. It is just a 4x8 sheet of 3/16 Luan spray painted.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Take a small piece of the panel to almost any hardware store.
They'll match a quart of paint for you for free.
There might even be a paintmatch app.

Do you own a home?
Same values, plans and ideas apply to RV.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #5

THOR #25652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Take a small piece of the panel to almost any hardware store.
They'll match a quart of paint for you for free.
There might even be a paintmatch app.

Do you own a home?
Same values, plans and ideas apply to RV.
Thanks for the response. I have done paint matching since early 80's so I can handle that. But, since the ceiling panel is still intact, and the new panel is 4fx8f I don't have a small piece to get it scanned and paint matched. But even if I could, using a different paint 'Brand' can reveal a different finish (look) when dry. Although it is the 'same' color chances are it may not dry the same. If I knew the manufacturer THEN I would move forward.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:14 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If you want the paint to be durable and last, do what the pros do - avoid the big box store paint and go directly to a REAL paint store - like Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh Paints, etc. There IS a difference... look on painter's forums. How do I know? The extensive research and experience with painting my kitchen cabinets.

My suggestion? Go to a Sherwin Williams store... take the panel piece with you. They have a product called Emerald urethane enamel. Have them match the panel color, you may only need a quart - it's EXPENSIVE - but goes a LONG way. Also buy a quart of the ProBlock primer.

Give the entire area a good coat of the ProBlock primer. Then roll on 2 coats of the Emerald paint - you may only need 1 coat... the stuff is thick and covers extremely well. You'll never have to worry about peeling, etc. again.

Believe me... there IS a huge difference in paint formulation from the big box stuff. I use the big box paint on house walls, ceilings etc. But that's an entirely different use case.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

THOR #25652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you want the paint to be durable and last, do what the pros do - avoid the big box store paint and go directly to a REAL paint store - like Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh Paints, etc. There IS a difference... look on painter's forums. How do I know? The extensive research and experience with painting my kitchen cabinets.

My suggestion? Go to a Sherwin Williams store... take the panel piece with you. They have a product called Emerald urethane enamel. Have them match the panel color, you may only need a quart - it's EXPENSIVE - but goes a LONG way. Also buy a quart of the ProBlock primer.

Give the entire area a good coat of the ProBlock primer. Then roll on 2 coats of the Emerald paint - you may only need 1 coat... the stuff is thick and covers extremely well. You'll never have to worry about peeling, etc. again.

Believe me... there IS a huge difference in paint formulation from the big box stuff. I use the big box paint on house walls, ceilings etc. But that's an entirely different use case.
Chateau_Nomad, Thanks for the reply. Now I don't really care where the paint comes from, as long as it's the same BRAND and BASE that was used in the original construction of my trailer 6 months ago. It's brand new and just needs to repaint over a 3" round defect. I could understand if this was a general repair on an older unit but it came from the factory with this defect. I don't really need to repaint the whole thing.

Maybe they did use Sherwin Williams. I hope so. But I still need to know WHAT Sherwin Williams Base & Color Code they used. Just having a difficult time getting this specific answer to my query. Someone out there has the answer, I just need to find them. Or I just have General RV replace the entire panel.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:10 AM   #8

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
Chateau_Nomad, Thanks for the reply. Now I don't really care where the paint comes from, as long as it's the same BRAND and BASE that was used in the original construction of my trailer 6 months ago. It's brand new and just needs to repaint over a 3" round defect. I could understand if this was a general repair on an older unit but it came from the factory with this defect. I don't really need to repaint the whole thing.

Maybe they did use Sherwin Williams. I hope so. But I still need to know WHAT Sherwin Williams Base & Color Code they used. Just having a difficult time getting this specific answer to my query. Someone out there has the answer, I just need to find them. Or I just have General RV replace the entire panel.
You got your answer earlier, it's very likely a vinyl covering not painted.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:13 AM   #9

THOR #25652
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
You got your answer earlier, it's very likely a vinyl covering not painted.
You are absolutely incorrect sir. I have already determined the construction and provided that information.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:28 PM   #10

THOR #22586
Quote:
You are absolutely incorrect sir. I have already determined the construction and provided that information.
My apologies I guess you don't need the experience and knowledge of the forum members. Please stay active so we can ask questions when we get stumped.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #11

THOR #25652
Quote:
My apologies I guess you don't need the experience and knowledge of the forum members. Please stay active so we can ask questions when we get stumped.
Chunker, your post was presumptuous and dismissive. "You got your answer earlier, it's very likely a vinyl covering not painted." Just where did you get from anything I posted that the panel was vinyl covered. That was as assumption made by someone else that you also assumed. And, I specifically stated in my post that I am now in possession of the replacement panel from the manufacturer and that it is just painted Luan.

While I do appreciate people responding to my query I am not trying to be difficult. I am not trying to solve the construction of the trailer components, how to paint something, or how to color match. Those things I have extensive experience in. If you read all of my post you saw the specific question I am searching an answer for;

Does anybody know the paint type (Sherwin Williams, Behr, Dutchboy, etc.) and if it is just ceiling paint or a mixed color with a specific code?
Old 01-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Does anybody know the paint type (Sherwin Williams, Behr, Dutchboy, etc.) and if it is just ceiling paint or a mixed color with a specific code?
The only one that knows that information would be Thor ( have you contacted them?) or more likely - the panel vendor - as Thor probably buys the panels in bulk pre-painted.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
Chunker, your post was presumptuous and dismissive. "You got your answer earlier, it's very likely a vinyl covering not painted." Just where did you get from anything I posted that the panel was vinyl covered. That was as assumption made by someone else that you also assumed. And, I specifically stated in my post that I am now in possession of the replacement panel from the manufacturer and that it is just painted Luan.

While I do appreciate people responding to my query I am not trying to be difficult. I am not trying to solve the construction of the trailer components, how to paint something, or how to color match. Those things I have extensive experience in. If you read all of my post you saw the specific question I am searching an answer for;

Then my final suggestion is contact Thor CS and see if they can help. No one here knows which brand and/mix the manufacturer of the panel uses. Thor doesn't make the panel, they just buy them from someone else and put them up.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 01-01-2022, 03:22 PM   #14

THOR #25652
Quote:
Then my final suggestion is contact Thor CS and see if they can help. No one here knows which brand and/mix the manufacturer of the panel uses. Thor doesn't make the panel, they just buy them from someone else and put them up.
I have called Highland Ridge over the last few weeks but they didn't return my calls so I try again after the holidays. I went to the manufacturing site of my unit in Shipshewana, IN but they were closed for the day. It's only a 1.5 hour drive and I will go there again in the coming months. I have been promised a tour of the manufacturing facility.

I know this is going to be a challenge as there are many different vendors supplying a range of components. I know I may eventually need to find the supplier of the panels if someone at Highland Ridge can't locate them. Luckily many/most of the trailers and components are made just over the border from me in Indiana. I have visited a few facilities.

The search will continue. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:37 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I have done paint matching since early 80's so I can handle that. But, since the ceiling panel is still intact, and the new panel is 4fx8f I don't have a small piece to get it scanned and paint matched. But even if I could, using a different paint 'Brand' can reveal a different finish (look) when dry. Although it is the 'same' color chances are it may not dry the same. If I knew the manufacturer THEN I would move forward.
I'll give my final opinion on what I'm seeing. With few exceptions (usually high end motorhomes) the ceiling headliner material is vinyl laminated to luan (lauan) sheets. This is true of Highland Ridge products - you can see it in their product brochures. There's your answer as to why you can't find ceiling paint specs for your unit... someone at the dealership did EXACTLY what you are trying to do... paint the vinyl to hide a repair.

Not sure what that is in the pic you posted, but it indicates an extreme mismatch in the "patch" area. Some higher detailed photos might get you a better response??

With the details you have provided, a layman's guess is your ceiling has at some point had a make-shift (improper) repair - possibly damage that was attempted to be hidden by a quick coat of paint.

If you've done paint matching since the early 80s, you understand the subtleties of surface adhesion, color/tone shift over time and paint sheen. So you understand how to match tint and sheen very well. You understand how to apply test patches on samples to judge color match after dryback and the resulting sheen.

If you do thorough research you will find the same answer as I did about the vinyl.

With the above knowledge, you have two choices:

(1) Replace the entire luan/vinyl ceiling panel seam to seam, cutting the holes for puck lights and HVAC. At least you have that in your possession.

(2) Paint the ENTIRE panel seam to seam with color matched/sheen matched high quality paint. From your paint color knowledge, you know that trying to "feather" paint onto the existing vinyl for an exact match is an exercise in futility... Just paint the entire panel stopping at an undetectable point - seams.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #16

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
State: California
THOR #22619
In a similar situation there were a number of flaws in the paint on our cabinets when we received our Vegas last year. I tried to get paint from Thor or a dealer service dept and was told by both that it was impossible. I took a door as a sample to our best pro paint supply store and asked them to match it. The results were excellent, and I can't see any indication that it was ever repaired.

Good luck