Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2022, 04:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #20744
Question Replacement of house batteries on 2018 Chateau 31W.

My existing house batteries (RoadHawk Predator Battery Heavy Duty Deep Cycle DC27) is rated at 90AH x2 = 180AH. It does not make it through the night in campgrounds with normal quiet hours. My late hour internet surfing contributes to that. I am considering replacing them with (Vmaxtanks VMAXSLR125 AGM 12V 125Ah SLA). Has anyone here had experience (good or bad) with this battery or one of the other of several similar capacity?
Also, if you have other recommendations, please advise.
Thanks for your help.
Kerry

Old 02-02-2022, 05:14 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrock View Post
My existing house batteries (RoadHawk Predator Battery Heavy Duty Deep Cycle DC27) is rated at 90AH x2 = 180AH. It does not make it through the night in campgrounds with normal quiet hours. My late hour internet surfing contributes to that. I am considering replacing them with (Vmaxtanks VMAXSLR125 AGM 12V 125Ah SLA). Has anyone here had experience (good or bad) with this battery or one of the other of several similar capacity?
Thanks for your help.
Kerry
Warranty would make me decision easier

The more lead you have in a FLA or AGM the more useable amps you have

I have really got the benifit of the 4 Trojam T105 AGM's I installed three years ago

I can run heat, fridge, TV and whatever all night until generator time

NO way would the FLA, in good condition do that

Lithium arn't for me as they are to touchy in harsh climates, I like tough batteries but down the road we will see as they improve them
Old 02-02-2022, 07:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Kerry
You can buy 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries for the same or less money and more than double you current available capacity. You may have to take into account charging profile modifications though.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:31 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You can buy 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries for the same or less money and more than double you current available capacity. You may have to take into account charging profile modifications though.
From previous discussions I was under the impression you had to change the BIM when converting to lithium from lead acid. The price of lithium batteries is falling like a rock... the initial battery price combined with modifications is my stumbling block. Heck, if the conversion was affordable, I'd even consider removing them from the RV for the 4 - 5 month winter storage.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:38 PM   #5

THOR #6903
All the newer Magnum inverters have the Lithium profile as standard

Just in case you want to jump in

I don't need the extra amps now but when the Trojans fail then I will take another look at it

By then there should be a lot of new lithium mines going and hopefully the price will be even more competitive
Old 02-02-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
From previous discussions I was under the impression you had to change the BIM when converting to lithium from lead acid. The price of lithium batteries is falling like a rock... the initial battery price combined with modifications is my stumbling block. Heck, if the conversion was affordable, I'd even consider removing them from the RV for the 4 - 5 month winter storage.
That's part of the "charging profile modifications".
Old 02-02-2022, 08:34 PM   #7

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
and they can't be charged below 32 degrees, but how many people are camping at 32 or below. My lithium golf cart batteries came in a week or so ago I'll get them swapped out as soon as the snow is gone then In the winter I won't need to charge them
Old 02-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #8

THOR #20274
Quote:
I was just thinking that If I go lithium I need to change the converter, the BIM and set my charge controller for the solar panel to lithium but what about the chassis battery it would be charging at the rate for lithium
Old 02-03-2022, 03:03 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
I was thinking the same you are just a couple of months ago, now I'm heading to install Lithium next month...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RM4W48...v_ov_lig_dp_it

R
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:06 AM   #10

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I was just thinking that If I go lithium I need to change the converter, the BIM and set my charge controller for the solar panel to lithium but what about the chassis battery it would be charging at the rate for lithium
As I understand it, the Li-BIM prevents the alternator from excessive output and maintains regular charging for the chassis battery. BUT, I could be completely wrong.
edit- this post from a parallel thread may help-

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=332820
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:37 AM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Use Vmaxtanks VMAXSLR125 AGM 12V 125Ah SLA

So far we have 3000w inverter..makes it through the night ..testes with heater running all night and wife makes coffee in the morning...used microwave and no issues and hair dryer..charges really fast..a solar keeps charged
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:39 PM   #12

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I was thinking the same you are just a couple of months ago, now I'm heading to install Lithium next month...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088RM4W48...v_ov_lig_dp_it

R
There is s guy on YouTube that tests everything, he took lithium 3.7 individual batteries and tested them to see if the had the capacity that was on the battery. He tried them at slow drain and fast drain all purchased on Amazon the batteries came from South Korea and China. The batteries like LG and Samsung were very good the ones made in China were junk. He weighed every battery and the South Korean batteries all weighed about the same, The Chinese batteries weighed half as much and each battery weighed differently and the batteries from China put out half the power even though they were rated higher. He tested drill batteries like original Dewalt and Chinese made duplicates and the ones made in China had half the capacity
Old 02-03-2022, 12:50 PM   #13

THOR #6903
Most of the Chinese 18650 battery labels are misleading, lower capacity than labeled

Like most things try to verify before you buy
Old 02-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #14

THOR #19887
Quote:
There is s guy on YouTube that tests everything
Are you ref, to ProjectFarm?

R
Old 02-03-2022, 01:34 PM   #15

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Are you ref, to ProjectFarm?

R
Yes and it makes me wonder about the large lithium batteries on the internet now
Old 02-03-2022, 02:18 PM   #16

THOR #19887
Quote:
Yes and it makes me wonder about the large lithium batteries on the internet now
Crap, thank you for raising that up.... You just threw a big wrench in my project!!!

I went back and the average review of that battery is good but I did a search for the one star reviews and pretty much all of them complain that capacity is 1/2 what is advertised and that it doesn't last....

I guess if you are willing to deceive people that way you can also pay people to give good reviews to your product?

Battle Borns initial cost is twice ($/Ah) than VMax AGMs so I guess I will get back to plan A (AGMs) ....
Good thing is that is way less work!
Old 02-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
and they can't be charged below 32 degrees, but how many people are camping at 32 or below. My lithium golf cart batteries came in a week or so ago I'll get them swapped out as soon as the snow is gone then In the winter I won't need to charge them
The temperature restriction is for the battery temperature and not for the ambient. The better Lithium Iron Phosphate have an option for battery heaters for cold weather.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:31 PM   #18

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The temperature restriction is for the battery temperature and not for the ambient. The better Lithium Iron Phosphate have an option for battery heaters for cold weather.
Right my batteries are out in the open so it wouldn't take long to reach that temperature, even Battle Born said their batteries wouldn't charge until 32 degree battery temp. If it got down to 10 degrees at night it might take a long time to reach 32 degrees. If they are under your bed or seat then there is no problem unless the camper has been parked for a long time in cold weather. under the bed or under a seat might take a long time. I defrosted my basement freezer and the ice in the sink was there for two days
Old 02-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
There are plenty of Youtube videos of people buying the large capacity LiFeP04 batteries and testing them as well as disassembling them. here's one channel:

Old 02-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Now if you want to see some ripoff batteries............

Tags
house batteries, replacement