Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds (31Z) on E-450
State: Maryland
THOR #701
Replacement Stereo Speakers

I just installed a new DVD in-dash stereo with rear view camera and discovered the factory speakers in the doors of the 2003 E450 were nothing to brag about. Less than $40 and 20 minutes for an install later (that includes both doors!), the new Pioneer speakers sound great! I went from factory 20 watt to Pioneer 250 watt (that were a perfect fit to boot!), and what a difference it makes. The install was extremely easy with the assistance of Ford forum post I found. Let me know if you need a link to the directions. I HIGHLY recommend getting the $5-6 adapter that connects directly into the Ford wiring harness and onto the speakers...it couldn't make it any easier and no worry about getting the polarity wrong!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I just upgraded my speakers, in the rear over the bed. placed them in two insulated boxes, had them facing toward the front not down. this made a big difference. I agree the speakers that came with the unit are not impressive.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #1532
If you buy from Crutchfield, you'll get the adapters for free. They will also send you diagrams on how everything comes apart. I'm a fan of saving money, but Crutchfield is my go-to for car stereo stuff.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Yes they have a local dealer here in San Diego. I was thinking about that for a while. good idea