Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oregon
THOR #7634
Inverter on a Windsport 27K

We just took possession of our slightly used 2015 Windsport 27K a few days ago. I was disappointed to find only one house battery but plan to add at least one more. I also want to add a 600 watt inverter to power my Treager PTG Grill when dry camping. And possibly a TV and DVD player.

My plan is to mount the inverter on the side wall of the house battery/jack hyd. compartment. Or does someone have a better location to put the inverter? It would be nice to permanently wire it into the 110 VAC system. Again, any suggestions on how to do that. I had an idea to make a short male-male extension cord and plug the inverter into the outside 110 VAC outlets, essentially "back feeding" the 110 VAC system. Other than how that might negatively affect the converter, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Ideas?

Thanks in advance to any and all advice to this newbie.

Tom

Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Are you sure you dont have one already on your windsport. I thought all windsports and hurricanes came stock with them. Mine was suppose to come with a 1000watt but it came with an 1800 watt. Knowing how they build these ill assume either Thor was out of 1000s so tech used 1800 or he just grabbed the wrong one.

My inverter panel is located above the a/c thermostat. The invertor powers living room tv plug, outdoir kitchen plug, and i belive the plug inside the passenger dash storage area.

Call Thor customer support tomorrow. They can tell you all tge details.

Good luck
Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

THOR #7634
Thanks for the response Jerry. I don't have an inverter panel where you described it. Another 15 Windsport 27K owner on the forum listed no inverter as one of the negatives in his review. I'll call Thor tomorrow and confirm it doesn't.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

THOR #7634
After some research this morning I did find this very informative article on installing an inverter. The author does answer the question I had about powering the converter with the inverter. The answer is basically, don't do it.

RV Inverter Install: Four Different DIY Methods to Get off the Grid

Tags
batteries, inverter, windsport