Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Saf-T-Plus ?

We own a 2016 Thor Vegas which is built on a Ford E450 chassis.
I have read here of many folks having a "Saf-T-Plus " steering stabilizer / dampener installed on these .
Our only trip so far has been the 3hr run from the North Carolina coast to out home in Mebane , all highway at speeds of 65-70 mph. The rig did quite well but it would get out of sorts when a tractor trailer passed me or when the wind was blowing at the beginning of the trip. Overall it felt pretty good and went down the road straight.
I am a tinkerer and if I can improve something I will, with that said I am considering a "Saf-T-Plus" which I can install myself.
I looked under the front end and to my surprise found that there is already a factory installed steering stabilizer / dampener . It appears that the Saf-T-Plus unit may be quite a bit larger but is it worth the cost to switch out the factory unit for the Saf-T-Plus ?
Pete.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
The Safe T Plus, and other similar devices are not the same thing as the factory dampener.

They are more of a self-centering device, really touted more as a safety device to offset asymmetric steering during a blowout or other major event.
A lot of folks seem to use them with good result, even for problems that they only indirectly address.

I considered adding one, and would still like to... but it became a much lower priority project for me, once I properly set my tire pressures and had the front end alignment adjusted. The tire pressure was the biggest thing.
If you haven't already, weight your RV, getting the front axle and rear axle weights. even better if you can get each corner weighed seperately.
Then set pressures according to the tire manufacturers load charts. Like This

Here is a great read on handling issues, if you are interested.
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_..._%20Primer.pdf
Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

THOR #5374
That rv forum thread was a good read.
I like the idea of the Saf-T-Plus in a blowout situation especially if my wife is driving . She is small and might not have the strength to recover from something like that unassisted.
THanks for the input.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:55 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Petew,

I added the Safe-T-Plus and have found out that it helps out with hitting potholes, diagonal seams at bridges and other irregular repaired surfaces one runs across while driving. It made a great improvement in steering for me...I hope I never get to check it out on a blow-out!

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Blow outs in a straight line are not half as bad as when going around a curve.

In such cases, do you end up fighting both the blow-out and the motorhome trying to go straight? Just wondering what happens when on-center bias isn't desirable.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
2016 axis 25-2. i installed steering -plus, front and rear sway bars , rear tract bar and koni shocks before i could drive this unit.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

THOR #5374
Perhaps I am numb from all of the different vehicles I have driven but I have to say our new 24.1 did quite well on the ride home from the dealer.
I was concerned by the effect a mild wind had on it and the occasional 80 mph tractor trailer that would fly by . Once I got used to it I was driving with one hand on the wheel.
However in an effort to make our driving experience better I have ordered a Saf-T-Plus from Ultra RV. I got the shock and the kit for $404.00 with free shipping , not a bad deal in my opinion .
Old 09-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Iowa
THOR #4889
safe-t-plus

I had the coach(2015 Windsport 32n) aligned and a safe-t-plus put on after alignment. However it has taken a month a three trips back to the shop to get it to not fight me going down the road. In the meantime I put on an additional rear swaybar and today I installed a rear trac bar. I am taking a trip next week to see how it handles in the wind and when semi's pass by us. I took a short drive after putting the rear trac bar on it today. It seems to go straight on a level road with out me holding onto the steering wheel. Maybe it will be better on this trip.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:06 PM   #9

THOR #5374
Sounds like the shop that did your install didn't get your Safe-T-Plus properly centered on the first few tries.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Iowa
THOR #4889
You got that right!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #11

Model: FE22 (traded)
THOR #4681
anyone happen to know the torque for the bolts on the E450 chassis front sway bar??? have it on but dont know the "factory Specifications" to the frame bolts or other bolts
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 PM   #12

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
100 ft lbs on big bolt. 20 ft lbs on small bolt. be sure to use blue lock tight like factory has on them.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:24 AM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #5390
I am picking up my new 35.1 Palazzo next week. I had a Safe T Plus installed for my drive home.
Curious if other owners have discovered additional components which will make an improvement in handling.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #14

State: Montana
THOR #4791
blw2
Thanks for the tire pressure chart. From what I am seeing every time I load my Axis 24.1 and there is a difference in the load. I should have it weighed and adjusted the air pressure. Or is there a general rule of thumb. I saw some where that I should set the tire pressures at the max? Have only taken a few trips and we are never loaded down.

Thanks Montana Mike
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #15

THOR #1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mike View Post
blw2
Thanks for the tire pressure chart. From what I am seeing every time I load my Axis 24.1 and there is a difference in the load. I should have it weighed and adjusted the air pressure. Or is there a general rule of thumb. I saw some where that I should set the tire pressures at the max? Have only taken a few trips and we are never loaded down.

Thanks Montana Mike
I usually set my tire pressure to what the placard says front and rear in the morning before the sun gets to them. Sun on one side can make a difference of a few psi...............unless you have your tires filled with nitrogen.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Here is a great read on handling issues, if you are interested.
http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_..._%20Primer.pdf
While I don't agree with the references to center of alignment specifications being an ideal target, it is a good overview of several handling factors.

Putting a steering stabilizer with increased dampening on a rig before getting everything else "right" first, is a choice I wouldn't make again ... Steering Stabilizers - The TRUTH at txtire.com
Old 09-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #17
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal351 View Post
I am picking up my new 35.1 Palazzo next week. I had a Safe T Plus installed for my drive home.
Curious if other owners have discovered additional components which will make an improvement in handling.
Check out Sumo springs. Basically same principle as air bags without the hassle of adding air or leaking bags.

Kev
Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #18

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana mike View Post
blw2

Thanks Montana Mike
Theoretically yes, the ideal pressure will change depending on loading, but realistically tge load isn't going to change that much.
Using the full load pressure is a great rule of thumb for when tge load isn't known, but it assumes full gross weight. At lighter weights handling suffers greatly. In my motorhome, I'm near gross with full gas, some water in the tanks and fully loaded for camping...but once I reduced the pressures to where they should be I saw a HUGE improvement in handling
Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #19

THOR #908
I don't reset all the time, I set them to what I felt was a good maximum number. You never want to run under pressure
Old 09-11-2016, 06:20 PM   #20

THOR #908
I don't reset all the time, I set them to what I felt was a good maximum number. You never want to run under pressure