Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Replacing Axxera radio

Looking for info from anyone who has replaced the Axxera or JVC radio Thor installed. I've been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-8200, Kenwood DNX772BH.

What after market radio/gps/DVD units are most popular? Are there any in dash gps units that have RV features?? What about back up and turn signal cameras??

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks,

Old 11-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you want to keep the camera features: The only radio manufacturer with RV features is pretty much Jensen (at least with the 3 camera input).

Some of the others do have a single rear camera input (in that case you can buy the switcher separately like this guy).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Ours came with the switcher. That part works fine. I use the rear camera as a rear view mirror and this means you can't use any other features at the same time. Thats why I want to change it out.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest
Ours came with the switcher. That part works fine. I use the rear camera as a rear view mirror and this means you can't use any other features at the same time. Thats why I want to change it out.
If that is the case: Why not pick up a separate monitor for the cameras.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #5

THOR #578
Well, interesting,,, so, has anyone out there successfully modified any of the above mentioned in dash units to run all 3 cameras? What about the gps antenna? What about Sirius XM antenna placement?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If you want to keep the camera features: The only radio manufacturer with RV features is pretty much Jensen (at least with the 3 camera input).

Some of the others do have a single rear camera input (in that case you can buy the switcher separately like this guy).
The one camera is not an issue. I took the cubby below the radio and installed 3 switches; Left-Rear-Right. I rarely used the left/right when changing lanes. So that is not an issue. I use them mostly when backing up. And the rear camera is activated whenever I want without having to hold down the mode button while driving.

The Pioneer AVH-4100NEX is one of the best radios that I have had on any vehicle. It supports the multiple HD channels and Apple Car Play. It allows me to angle the display to avoid glare. I highly recommend this unit. There are other models that support GPS. But since I have the Garmin RV 760, it wasn't needed on the radio,
Old 11-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
I've been on and off considering simply replacing the radio (heck done it once already) with one of these Car PCs: Custom Car PC l Car PCs and Custom Gaming Computers
(aside from them being really expensive for both an in-dash radio, and a PC! LOL)

Hmm they need to be updated, though, only support Haswell...sheesh thats a few years old now.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

THOR #578
I feel your pain, there are so and I mean sooo many different in dash options on the market, I would like the gps function incorporated into the stereo, not a big fan of a bunch of different devices on my dash, I already have the Tire Minder mounted up there, I'm not real crazy about it being up there, it has vibrated loose and fell twice now!!!!! Also a portable XM receiver as well. A nice clean install of a user-friendly functional in dash unit would be nice!!
Old 11-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #9

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
My biggest complaint with the Axxera is that the display is hard to see in daylight. I like using the rear camera as a rearview mirror while driving, but it's hard to see in daylight and at night you just see bright lights. The only time it's very useful is at dawn and dusk.

I also discovered that when you use the turn signal and the side camera display comes on, it mutes the radio. It's really annoying when you're trying to listen to music or a podcast. However, if you have the rear camera display selected it doesn't mute when you use the turn signal. This is another reason why I usually have the rear camera display selected.

Apple CarPlay would be really nice to have so you could just use your navigation app of choice on your iPhone and have it displayed on the stereo display. The Axxera has the Dual Mirror function, but your phone has to have a personal hotspot enabled for it to work, which we don't have. We would have to change our cellular plan to enable a hotspot, and since we are grandfathered into an unlimited data plan we don't want to change it.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
If that is the case: Why not pick up a separate monitor for the cameras.
Another object to become a missile, already have the GPS and a clock. Thats another function that isn't available when using the axxera in camera mode.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote