Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #18343
Replacing Dinette

Has any one replaced their dinette? We own a 2018 Freedom Elite 24fe we want to remove dinette and replace it with either recliners or a reclining loveseat. We don’t have children, and find the dinette very uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of. When traveling 90% of the time we eat outside. And have no problem eating in front of the tv using tv type tables at home in a recliner.

Any tips or advice as to removing, or even installing would help seeing the door to a motorhome isn’t exactly looking like it will cooperate!! Thanks in advance...

Old 03-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #22242
Did you have any succes? I just bought a daybreak 22go and I’d like to replace our aft dinette bench with captains chairs for the kids to travel. Our bench contains the transfer switch and water pump. I’m thinking of moving these to the closet.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #3

THOR #18343
Just mustering up the thoughts of bringing the RV out of storage! Have put serious thought to different options, such as full removal replacing it with some type of recliners or removing forward bench and replacing it with two chairs?
In the meantime renovating home base kitchen has kept me plenty busy!
Old 03-09-2021, 07:08 PM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
If the "guts" of the 24FE is the same layout as the 24HE it won't be an easy change.

The water heater is under the front bench close to the wall so you're stuck with the "box" built around it. There's also a drawer at the inside end of the front bench which wouldn't be too big a deal to remove.

The rear bench is mostly empty except it's where the plumbing that goes to the water heater enters the slide along with the electrical for lights and outlets on the slide. There's a slot right along the middle of it where the flexible plumbing headed to the water heater sticks straight up and arcs.
The empty space in that bench is basically there to allow the flexible portion of the plumbing to move with the slide. This would take some re-engineering to be able to remove the rear bench to claim the space.

So basically you can remove the table but you're still stuck with the wooden boxes that make the bench seats.

The best layout I've been able to imagine so far but been too chicken to execute is to put a jackknife sofa (needs to be a jackknife since they're available with no legs) along the wall spanning the two benches. Then remove the drawer half of the front bench so it doesn't stick out from the sofa. Finally put some smaller cushions on the remaining part of the rear bench that sticks out from the sofa to make an L-shaped lounge area.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #5

Brand: Jayco
State: Florida
THOR #22239
dinette to reclining coach

hi, on my 24 tt I just remover my dinette and bought a power recliner love seat to replace it. as stated above we mostly eat outside and having that big uncomfortable dinette was not working for us. went to Haverty's and bought a very nice love seat .... I thought that a lot of modifications was needed but just relocated a couple of wire hold downs and we were to go. the seat doesn't hit the hot water heater. the love seat is 66 inches wide so plenty of room.
will try tp post pictures next week.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:41 PM   #6

Model: 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #12744
We just dealt with the same thing in our 26HE. The dinette and jack-knife couch are both uncomfortable after a few days. We probably have similar setups in our dinette. One side is used for the fresh water tank and the other has all of the electrical. Getting rid of the dinette altogether was not an option.

I spent a lot of time researching our options. I ultimately removed the backs of each side of the dinette, lowered the table to the sleep position and tossed an 8" thick futon mattress on it. I used an oscillating tool to cut out the backs and found the large panels were just held together with staples. After getting the panels out I reinstalled most of the framing to support the weight. That gave me roughly 75 inches from the aft end of the dinette to the driver's seat.

As for the sofa... removed it. The 26HE doesn't have a flat floor underneath. There is a metal bracket protecting the outside storage that sticks up about the floor about six inches. I built around it using the existing sides of the couch. Stacked four project source cabinets from Lowe's on top and added butcher block countertop. Found some nice folding chairs on Amazon that we can store away when not needed.

The futon is so much better than the dinette and the entire setup is much more tolerable. Just need to get a few larger pillows to make it complete.

Here is the futon that we purchased. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 5.32.15 PM.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	30016  
Old 12-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #7

Model: 24HE
THOR #25539
Replacing Dinette 24HE

We have 2019 24HE and also did not like the cramped, locked in feel of the "dream dinette."

I removed the table and hinging apparatus.
Replaced foam in the cushions with upgraded foam.

Made two 3/4 inch plywood pieces to fit where table did for bed and added cushion & covers. This gives the option of only using one piece all the way across for someone to sit in reclining position while other can have feet down.
Made a plywood with cushion upholstery piece to go across under the window so there is option of sitting sideways facing door in reclined position too.

Also have two folding TV trays to eat inside or play cards where table was.

That was our solution. We looked into the furniture available but ran into the challenges of the utilities under the boxes. Plus, can still make it original for resale someday.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2018 View Post
we just dealt with the same thing in our 26he. The dinette and jack-knife couch are both uncomfortable after a few days. We probably have similar setups in our dinette. One side is used for the fresh water tank and the other has all of the electrical. Getting rid of the dinette altogether was not an option.

I spent a lot of time researching our options. I ultimately removed the backs of each side of the dinette, lowered the table to the sleep position and tossed an 8" thick futon mattress on it. I used an oscillating tool to cut out the backs and found the large panels were just held together with staples. After getting the panels out i reinstalled most of the framing to support the weight. That gave me roughly 75 inches from the aft end of the dinette to the driver's seat.

As for the sofa... Removed it. The 26he doesn't have a flat floor underneath. There is a metal bracket protecting the outside storage that sticks up about the floor about six inches. I built around it using the existing sides of the couch. Stacked four project source cabinets from lowe's on top and added butcher block countertop. Found some nice folding chairs on amazon that we can store away when not needed.

The futon is so much better than the dinette and the entire setup is much more tolerable. Just need to get a few larger pillows to make it complete.

Here is the futon that we purchased. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1
very nice job.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutch82@yahoo.com View Post
We have 2019 24HE and also did not like the cramped, locked in feel of the "dream dinette."

I removed the table and hinging apparatus.
Replaced foam in the cushions with upgraded foam.

Made two 3/4 inch plywood pieces to fit where table did for bed and added cushion & covers. This gives the option of only using one piece all the way across for someone to sit in reclining position while other can have feet down.
Made a plywood with cushion upholstery piece to go across under the window so there is option of sitting sideways facing door in reclined position too.

Also have two folding TV trays to eat inside or play cards where table was.

That was our solution. We looked into the furniture available but ran into the challenges of the utilities under the boxes. Plus, can still make it original for resale someday.
Would you mind posting a few pics? Sounds like our 24F has the same limitations. Just too narrow to put recliners. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #10

THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
very nice job.
Could you possibly provide a photo of the final result? I have been considering doing something a long the same line, especially seeing one of the dinette benches is right up against the drivers seat! Making it an uncomfortable driving experience due to the fact you can’t recline the back of the seat!! Mike
Old 12-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #11

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Could you possibly provide a photo of the final result? I have been considering doing something a long the same line, especially seeing one of the dinette benches is right up against the drivers seat! Making it an uncomfortable driving experience due to the fact you can’t recline the back of the seat!! Mike
Your floorplan is almost identical to our 24f. I GREATLY improved the driving position with a couple modifications.

In ours, the trim on the edge of the slide wall prevented the driver seat from moving back or reclining. I removed that trim piece and notched out the underlying OSB to allow more room for the seatback. Then I glued/stapled heavy-duty Velcro strips to the back of the trim piece to allow it to be removed while driving, then replaced when the slide is out and camp is setup. You can't even tell it's been "modified" with the trim velcroed on.

Then I used Unistrut rails to make "runners" under the driver seat. I removed the seat from the existing Ford seat mount and drilled appropriate holes in the Unistrut to allow the seat to mount further back.

The combination of moving the seat both back AND up (about 1.5" both directions if memory serves me) gave MUCH more legroom. I'm 6'1" tall, and now I don't feel like I'm hunched over the wheel!

Now... that will solve your driving position issue, but the dining area is STILL to be worked on!

Photo of Unistrut rails installed on seat (seat is upside down resting on dinette table),
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unistrut rails installed.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	35178  
Old 12-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #12

THOR #25539
Yes, I am very willing and happy to post pictures but need a little time since it is not in use at the moment.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #13

THOR #25539
I have studied that problem and have been too chicken to notch the trim and OSB. Could you include a picture of it so I can see where you notched and the seat recline you gained. Would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #14

THOR #16721
First I carefully removed the trim... it's just stapled on. Notice it's two parts with a center cover piece. Remove the center strip to reveal the staples. Then carefully/slowly pry the main trim piece backer off. I glued the center piece permanently onto the larger piece, because I'm using velcro to hold the main trim board.

With the slide IN, I reclined the driver seatback to touch the OSB that's screwed to the slide wall, and marked the area on the OSB to notch out. I used a small oscillating saw to cut the OSB "notch"... only removing as much as necessary to allow the seatback to touch the slide wall. I probably could have got away with cutting out a smaller area...

I slapped some leftover stain on the OSB just for giggles... not really necessary. Then stapled a few squares of heavy duty velcro to the back of the trim board and the OSB above and below the notched area.

When driving, I remove the trim piece - then when camp is set up, I stick the trim back on - the velcro holds it in place. You can't tell it's been modified with the trim in place.

Here's a couple screen shots from video I shot... when the weather breaks I can take some better pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trim removed.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	35242   Click image for larger version

Name:	With trim installed.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	35243  

Old 12-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #15

THOR #25539
Hey - thanks! It makes sense now to see it's two parts with a center cover piece.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:25 AM   #16

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Florida
THOR #4963
I've heard of people taking out a window to put in furniture.
Old 01-17-2023, 12:58 AM   #17

Model: 22 FEF
State: New Jersey
THOR #28862
dinette to recliner

I have been looking into this for awhile to replace the dinette with a recliner set. But the water heater is in the way, any suggestions to replace it with a small unit??? relocation is not an option I would think.
I have a 2022 22FEF Class C
Old 01-17-2023, 09:08 AM   #18
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking545 View Post
I have been looking into this for awhile to replace the dinette with a recliner set. But the water heater is in the way, any suggestions to replace it with a small unit??? relocation is not an option I would think.
I have a 2022 22FEF Class C
You don't have many options. Recliners are out unless you go for a single one, then install a cabinet around the heater.
You could change it out to a wrap around bench type seating with a small fixed or removable table. Make it that both ends could be used both for eating or laying back to watch tv. .
Make to have some storage underneath.

As for a jack knife sofa, I don't think the open area underneath is large enough for a water heater.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:45 PM   #19

THOR #25539
Pics of Dinette Table Removal and Modifications

Here are the pics - sorry it took so long:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DinetteRemoved1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	41442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DinetteRemoved2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	41443  

Name:	DinetteRemoved3.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	41444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DinetteRemoved4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	41445  

Name:	DinetteRemoved5.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	41446  
Old 04-02-2023, 12:45 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #24216
We removed the dinette and both bench seats from our Quantum KW29. The furnace duct vent, 120V outlet, and CO2 detector that had been mounted on the rearward bench seat were relocated to the kitchen sink cabinet wall behind where the seat had been. It really opened up the space and allowed for an electric fireplace to be placed between the windows under the TV along with a bookshelf for storage.