Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2023, 10:51 PM   #1

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Replacing Dual Recliners

I’m thinking about replacing the dual recliners in my 2017 Challenger with a RecPro powered dual recliner. My existing recliners are installed on the driver-side slide out platform which is only 30” deep (the front edge of existing recliners overhangs the slide-out platform by 8”).

The new RecPro recliner requires 39” of depth on the slide-out platform. I’ve seen where some owners have used 3/4” plywood overlay to extend the depth of their slide-out, with casters bolted onto the front edge of the extension to support the weight of the recliners.

Seems like this might be a solution, but wondering about possible negative impacts this might have on the operation of the slide out. Has anybody done anything similar?

Old 02-25-2023, 12:07 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
I’m thinking about replacing the dual recliners in my 2017 Challenger with a RecPro powered dual recliner. My existing recliners are installed on the driver-side slide out platform which is only 30” deep (the front edge of existing recliners overhangs the slide-out platform by 8”).

The new RecPro recliner requires 39” of depth on the slide-out platform. I’ve seen where some owners have used 3/4” plywood overlay to extend the depth of their slide-out, with casters bolted onto the front edge of the extension to support the weight of the recliners.

Seems like this might be a solution, but wondering about possible negative impacts this might have on the operation of the slide out. Has anybody done anything similar?
The RecPro Charles has a 21 and 1/4 inch base width, so it will fit on a 30 inch slide. Add 3 inches for rear overhang and 4 inches depth for recline and the front of the base is back about 2 inches from the front edge of a 30 inch slide. Sitting upright the front of the loveseat sticks about 2 inche into the isle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_0310_032300AA.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	41010   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_03100058.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	41011  

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 12:46 AM   #3

THOR #6651
Replacing Dual Recliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The RecPro Charles has a 21 and 1/4 inch base width, so it will fit on a 30 inch slide. Add 3 inches for rear overhang and 4 inches depth for recline and the front of the base is back about 2 inches from the front edge of a 30 inch slide. Sitting upright the front of the loveseat sticks about 2 inche into the isle.

Wow, that is different from the info published by RecPro. We’re looking at the 67” Charles Double Recliner. Based on your info, it should fit without modification on the slide-out. I think I will go ahead and order it. At worst, I’ll have to install a piece of plywood to extend the depth of the slide out. But, I’d be ecstatic if it didn’t require any mods.

I just really need to get rid of the fake leather crap that came with my coach. It’s peeling and looking like s***. Our plan is a new RecPro Charles double recliner (in cloth), and reupholstering the existing dinette and captains chairs with marine grade vinyl.

I’m also going to install a new pull out drawer under the left side bench of the dinette (there is already a drawer under the right side bench). The space under the left bench is just a big empty void right now. Not sure why Thor decided to not utilize this perfect storage space.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:26 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
We did something similar a few years ago. Used plywood to extend base and installed RecPro recliners. Install was reasonably simple. However, RecPro recliners did not hold up. Two years after installing, they began to peel. RV is stored inside, out of sun. Might want to consider some other brand.
Old 03-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #5

THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
We did something similar a few years ago. Used plywood to extend base and installed RecPro recliners. Install was reasonably simple. However, RecPro recliners did not hold up. Two years after installing, they began to peel. RV is stored inside, out of sun. Might want to consider some other brand.

We decided to go with RecPro’s cloth fabric rather than the fake leather for exactly this reason.
Old 04-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #6

THOR #6651
Replacing Dual Recliners

Finally got our electric RecPro recliners installed. Went with cloth fabric because I didn’t trust their fake leather. Had to extend the slide out base with 3/4” plywood by about 6”. Used a local reupholstery shop to re-do the dinette and captains’ chairs in marine grade vinyl. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4382.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	41439

Name:	IMG_4380.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	41440

Name:	IMG_4379.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	41441
Old 04-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #11607
Very nice. We had the front captain chairs redone in marine grade vinyl as well. Replaced the couch for electric recliners and removed the dinette and went with regular chairs.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 04:34 PM   #8

THOR #6651
While re-installing the dinette, I decided to add a drawer under the left bench of the dinette. Originally, Thor only had a drawer under the right bench. Not sure why they decided to waste so much space. The new drawer give us a ton of new storage space. Ordered a custom made drawer from ShelvesThatSlide.com. Pretty easy install. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4410.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	41651
Old 04-20-2023, 05:00 PM   #9

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
How did you bolt down the plywood in the slide floor? It almost felt like I was trying to drill into metal when I was looking into it.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:18 PM   #10

THOR #6651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkayers View Post
How did you bolt down the plywood in the slide floor? It almost felt like I was trying to drill into metal when I was looking into it.

The slide has metal plates in some parts, but not all parts, of the slide. Just need to screw the plywood in where the plates aren’t.
Old 04-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Michigan
THOR #23904
Good deal thanks! Must have just gotten lucky and hit the metal pieces of course
Old 04-22-2023, 11:09 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post

thats what we did
other than the slide floor now being 3/4 higher than before ..it works GREAT