Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #21
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I went the other way: Ripped out the countertop and replaced the propane stove with a two burner induction one and replaced the cheapy plastic sink with a stainless one at least twice as large.

My reasoning: We really don't use the stove often and the induction one is flush as well as the sink has a recessed cutting board. So this mod increased the amount of counterspace we can use--likely doubling it.

When we're camping we use the BBQ outside for 99.9% of all the cooking.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #22

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Bob: If you go to youtube there are lots of videos about the stove. I used mine three times and only used a half a bottle of butane. BTW the cutting board / induction cover
keeps the induction stove from being scratched and protects it if something flies out of the overhead cupboard.
Coveman2
Old 01-18-2021, 02:08 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Got it...
Old 01-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #24

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I also was interested in changing up the induction with propane but and spoke to my RV tech who could do it but the cost was more than I am prepared to shell out. My solution was I bought a butane single burner stove (Coleman, $30 at Walmart) and it works great, just open a window a bit and turn on the fan. I bought a piece of 1/2 inch cutting board from a restaraunt supply house and cut it to cove the induction then put rubber feet at the corners so it does not slide while in motiom. The stove also works as a cooking source during a power outage.
Coveman2
2018 Thor Compass 23 TB
Stay safe
Coveman2, I did the same with a wooden cutting board on rubber feet which sits over the induction cooktop. Glad I did, now that I am reading posts about people who have had the misfortune of dropping things on the induction cooktop and shattering it! I did it to increase counterspace for food prep (also mounted a small folding table next to the sink, which works perfectly for stacking dirty dishes while washing them!)
We just don’t really like the induction cooktop, particularly because of the power requirements (though my SO also swears that food cooked on the induction cooktop tastes different). We have a Coleman Fold-N-Go, which runs on 1# propane tank, and really like it, but instructions clearly say not to use it inside the RV...maybe I’m too cautious? Sure would be nice to cook indoors on a rainy day while boondocking, without having to run the generator!
Old 01-18-2021, 03:58 PM   #25

THOR #11426
Coveman2, mind if I ask what they quoted you to change the induction cooktop to a propane burner?
Old 01-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #26

THOR #13224
If I remember correctly it was $500 plus the burners which I would have supplied, so all in $750. The biggest cost was the labor to redo the counter top and the gas line hookup.
Everything costs more up here in Canada
Coveman2
Old 01-18-2021, 04:31 PM   #27

THOR #13224
As long as you have ventilation it is not a problem, Japanese restaraunts use them all the time for cooking at your table. I have used mine indoors during a power outage a few times, its not meant to be left on for long periods
Coveman2
Old 01-18-2021, 06:05 PM   #28

THOR #11426
Thanks!