Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 29H
State: New York
THOR #15098
replacing jackknife couch

I'm very interested in replacing the front couch in my Thor Outlaw with a pair of recliners, but I'm looking for some input, tips, and info. Lots of questions. The rig is in dry storage currently, so I'm unsure what size I need to fill the space once I remove the couch. Wondering if anyone can tell me how much different recliners recline (as in comfortable enough to sleep in), and whether manual would be better than power. I ask about the power option because when boon docking, it would seem difficult to unrecline the recliner if you're in it, because you'd have to turn the generator on! Also wondering about what kind of sub platform or stand I would have to make. I suppose this would hinge on the brand or type of recliner I buy. Am currently looking at what Rec Pro has to offer. Any info, leads, pictures and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #2

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
We have wall-huggers from RecPro, very comfortable, dw sleeps in hers alot.
Our power recliner in the house has a battery we have to charge maybe once a month, check with the manufacturer you choose.

Take your measurements carefully plan on moving/REmoving stuff, seatbelts, heater ducts, co2 alarm, 110 outlet etc.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM   #3

THOR #15098
recliners

Another issue I'm dealing with is power versus manual recliners. Power would be nice, but using the generator when boon docking would become an issue. Once you're settled in to a powered recliner, it would seem difficult to turn the genny off, and obviously, one wouldn't want that running all night. I suppose a remote switch could be hooked to the genny and made accessible once you're in a reclined position. It would seem, though, that manual recliners would be the way to go. Anybody have any thoughts or input on this?
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
...... Power would be nice, but using the generator when boon docking would become an issue. Once you're settled in to a powered recliner, it would seem difficult to turn the genny off, and obviously, one wouldn't want that running all night.......
Seems to me you have answered your own question.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I don't think there's a modern power recliner in the whole world that runs on 110v.
I think they use a converter to a lower and safer, likely 12v, voltage.

You're looking at recpro, did you look at their spec sheet?
75w is a $15 12vdc/110vac inverter if you don't want to bypass the wall wart converter.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 02:13 AM   #6

THOR #15098
sorry MJC62. Got carried away and repeated myself. And ducksface, I just looked at the web site for Rec Pro rv recliners, and it clearly states that the chairs are powered by 110 volts AC, and it says next to that in parentheses that a 110 outlet is needed to plug into. Being a little lacking in electric hook-up knowledge, I guess what you're saying is I would need some sort of 12 volt-to- 110AC adapter. Would the ones that you can install on your vehicle work?
Old 02-20-2020, 02:28 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
No power to me would be the way to go if boondocking is a big part of your RVng experience. Powering recliners is one more electrical draw I wouldn't want to deal with off grid. Just my .02
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:08 AM   #8

Model: Palazzo
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6168
RE: Omar 1951 recliners
We put power recliners in our Palazzo, in place of booth. One motor shaft broke, plus we did not care for low speed.

Replaced with old style mechanical.

They do operate on low voltage, but use 110V transformers to supply low volts. This can easily be bypassed. Ours even had an attachment for 9V battery to operate in emergency. Peter
Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

THOR #15098
Thanks to all for your replies. Think mechanical is the way to go.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:06 AM   #10

THOR #10400
Judge replaced his 29H jacknife couch with a Recpro reclining loveseat. He can tell you all you need to know. See this thread: https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ade-20174.html
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #11

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Michigan
THOR #2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
I'm very interested in replacing the front couch in my Thor Outlaw with a pair of recliners, but I'm looking for some input, tips, and info. Lots of questions. The rig is in dry storage currently, so I'm unsure what size I need to fill the space once I remove the couch. Wondering if anyone can tell me how much different recliners recline (as in comfortable enough to sleep in), and whether manual would be better than power. I ask about the power option because when boon docking, it would seem difficult to unrecline the recliner if you're in it, because you'd have to turn the generator on! Also wondering about what kind of sub platform or stand I would have to make. I suppose this would hinge on the brand or type of recliner I buy. Am currently looking at what Rec Pro has to offer. Any info, leads, pictures and advice would be greatly appreciated!
You need to know how much space you have. Two recliners will take the space of a full sized couch. Manual would be better and a platform should not be needed. Rec Pro makes some good furniture, but I would look at a regular furniture store first.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:29 AM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
Rec Pro makes some good furniture, but I would look at a regular furniture store first.
Yep, I got our dual reclining loveseat from Overstock.com at a great savings. Microfiber with storage in the outside arms. Works great in our RV.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:35 AM   #13

State: Ohio
THOR #3538
We changed our L shaped which was uncomfortable to say the least . We bought a Thomas Payne 3 pc. Very nice all 3 pieces recline.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We installed a pair of RecPro recliners with a center console in our 2017 ACE 30.1. We had 68” to work with and it they fit perfectly. We did add a strip of 1x2 hardwood on the face of the slide which allowed us to move the recliners forward just a bit. No problem with clearance when reclining. Ours are manual as at the time I don’t think they had a powered option. Each recliner has a D ring pull cable. Closing them up takes a bit of a push as you lean forward to stand up.

They are plenty comfortable to sleep in, as long as you are a back sleeper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65653228-69D0-4058-9464-30435900FF0E.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	22715  
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:36 AM   #15

THOR #10400
Quote:
Originally Posted by capeharj View Post
You need to know how much space you have. Two recliners will take the space of a full sized couch. Manual would be better and a platform should not be needed. Rec Pro makes some good furniture, but I would look at a regular furniture store first.
The 29H sofa area is just 70" wide, the RecPro 67" 'Charles' love seat recliner fits. Sucks that it's alomost $1K. It's really hard to find non-RV love seat that will fit. I found a 70" dual reclining love seat at Living Spaces that I think would fit but it depends on the piece sizes (before it's assembled) for getting it through the door. I went to the showroom floor and measured it out but never went to the warehouse to see the piece sizes unassembled. It's only $595 though, the material is nice, and it's electric reclining.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote