Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Wyoming
THOR #2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with your observations! We find the L-shaped dinette very un-user friendly, still and lacking in any kind of comfort factor.

We have taken out the table and use folding (tv tray-style) tables when we dine. We'd like to remove the protruding leg bases, and will do so when we have some time to work on that.

I've been researching ways to replace the L-shape couch, but am not sure how mods would work since there is some kind of equipment bundle (?) installed under the short, front-facing end of the couch. I don't know how that will affect any changes.

If you find a solution that pleases you, would sure appreciate you sharing it!

Thanks!
We have a 2016 ACE 27.1 and never cared for the dining/living seating. They did not have enough depth and the foam is garbage. We own an Upholstery shop and made some changes. As the one seat has all of the electrics under it, we only changed it by taking the curved end off and replacing with a flat board. This took off 4" for the aisle. We made a cushion with 5" HD foam and a Dacron wrap. We took the other seat and moved it out 4", removed the sleeper and built a new cushion with 5" HD foam and wrapped with Dacron. The extra depth is much more comfortable and allows one to sleep there with plenty of width and length. More changes to come but here is a pix of the completed seating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1322  

www.yellowstonescooters.com
TheHomeOfReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #22

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Thehomeofreligion,
Your dinette looks much more comfortable than ours. The extra height, width, and better foam must make for a much nicer dining and sleeping situation. When we looked at the RV, we must have been overly impressed with other things to have purchased something with such an uncomfortable dinette.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #23

THOR #2850
Too true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
Thehomeofreligion,
Your dinette looks much more comfortable than ours. The extra height, width, and better foam must make for a much nicer dining and sleeping situation. When we looked at the RV, we must have been overly impressed with other things to have purchased something with such an uncomfortable dinette.
You are absolutely right. We did the same and forgot to think of where we sit, most of the time. Being able to sit further back made all the difference. The better foam really is nice when you sit there for longer than a few minutes. Next, will be new captains chairs, possibly with recliners with feet rests.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #24

THOR #2817
Gary and Tara,
Are you going to change the driver and passengers seats to recliners with foot rests? Or are you going to put recliners in place of the dinette? Now the only seat that I am comfortable in for more than a few minutes is the driver's seat or the passenger seat, which I turn around and face the rear of the RV.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #25

THOR #2850
We may change out our captain's seats, someday. We plan on using our updated dining seats for now. We may change to a sofa sleeper someday. Attached, is one we found will work if we remove our driver side seating, which is very easy. If we do, we will need to re-route the heating ducts which will be easy, as well. We picked this couch because of the size, style and that you could add arm tables to each arm, which eliminates the need for the big table. You could still use the smaller table. If nothing else, changing the foam in the dining seats will help you as you can make harder or softer, as needed. Thanks for asking.
Frontier II Luv Sofa Furniture
Old 01-24-2016, 01:11 PM   #26

THOR #2817
Gary and Tara,
We have been thinking about removing the portion of the dinette seat that runs along the outside wall and replacing it with a couple of recliners. As you say, moving the heating ducts won't be a problem. I am 6'-4" with long legs and that's one reason why we bought the Windsport, because of the driver leg room. So whatever we buy can't take up too much space along the wall, because I need to have the driver's seat nearly all the way back. Keep us posted on your progress if you decide to put in the sleep sofa.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #27

Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
table pedestal bases

Those bases are installed upside down. Those mounts belong under the table top, not on the floor. That is a serious trip hazard. I have never, ever seen pedestal mounts installed this way. There are pedestal mounts that fit flush and twist to attach, with a corresponding post. This is to be installed where a hole in the floor cannot be bored because of frame members, wiring, etc. Those pedestal mounts need to be removed asap before some one gets hurt. At the very least, get a free-standing folding table for dining.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #28

THOR #2817
That is true about the tripping hazard. I haven't checked under the RV to see if they put them in because of under the floor obstructions or because of ease of attachment. I would like a dining table even for the recliners if we go that route, and have given some thought to building a narrow table that could either use the same mounts or move the mounts a bit toward the opposite wall.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #5687
table pedestal bases

Just wondering if anyone was able to get more info on moving the pedestal table base mounts or replaced the ones above the floor with the recessed ones? I would love to do the mod to the dining bench that Gary and Tara did and hope that at the same time we can deal with those table bases that stick up and could cause tripping.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #30

THOR #2817
We have decided to do nothing about the pedestal table. Since my last post, we have spent several nights in the RV and travelled over 5000 miles. The location of the table and the uncomfortableness of the dinette is an inconvenience that we've decided to live with for the time being.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #31

Model: windsport 27k
State: Florida
THOR #1140
Hi I replaced my flanges with Sequoia flat bases. I requires to complete kits. c/w sells them. No holes needed except the screw holes. Looks and works great on my 2015 windsport 27k
Old 11-22-2016, 05:19 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 27k
State: Massachusetts
THOR #5687
perfect, thanks Metalman and bruce bus.... we will try to get those flat bases from C/W!