Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Replacing table leg bases?

We would like to replace the the main table leg bases in our '16 Hurricane 27K. But I'm not sure exactly what to search for.

The main table has two legs with bases that stick up out of the floor a few inches & are so easy to trip over if the table is not there.

The single table leg base for the small table between the captain's chairs (driver & passenger) is more flush to the floor. That is what we would like to replace the other bases with.

What part or name do I search for?

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
In my dealer's parts catalog they are called Heavy Duty Pedestal Base. They are from CP Products and the catalog shows square (PN 48733) and round (PN 48731).

Here is the result for a google search on CP Products 48731.

CP-48732 CP PRODUCTS TABLE BASES
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeliec View Post
The main table has two legs with bases that stick up out of the floor a few inches & are so easy to trip over if the table is not there....
The reason it sticks up out of the floor is because your main table is part of the slide-out assembly.

The flush looking base actually requires a hole underneath it for the base to extend down into.

There probably isn't enough clearance underneath for the flush looking base to protrude underneath the slide out. I suppose you could cut channels in the coach floor to provide the necessary clearance if you really want to.

I'm curios, who is walking in the little area under the main table to trip over the protruding bases? By design and intent, the ONLY time the main table is ever removed is if it's going to be used as a bed/sleeping area. You can't walk there if the table is installed. And, you can't walk there if it's setup as a bed.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher
The reason it sticks up out of the floor is because your main table is part of the slide-out assembly.
Not on the 27k:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I looked at pictures of a couple of them and they had the base protruding upwards. There may be a good reason why they can't be flush mounted, which would seem a better choice if possible. I'd check under Motorhome to make sure there is no interference with structure or anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	898  
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I looked at pictures of a couple of them and they had the base protruding upwards. There may be a good reason why they can't be flush mounted, which would seem a better choice if possible. I'd check under Motorhome to make sure there is no interference with structure or anything else.
Based on the picture and the way the engine cover is positioned I would be surprised if there isn't a frame rail very close to that position of the coach. That is right about where the lengthwise frame rail runs on the F53.

Now, That's not to say the table has to go back in the exact same position. It could be moved in or out a few inches.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Based on the picture and the way the engine cover is positioned I would be surprised if there isn't a frame rail very close to that position of the coach. That is right about where the lengthwise frame rail runs on the F53.

Now, That's not to say the table has to go back in the exact same position. It could be moved in or out a few inches.
Agree, it looks like it may line up closely. There is also the possibility that Thor tries to position the bases close to floor structural members on purpose to give it rigidity. Relocating them may cause the table to wiggle -- not sure what's underneath. And it's possible I guess that the bases may have some kind of backing plate or reinforcement under the floor. And there is the issue of cutting through floor insulation and its vapor barrier which may or may not be a big deal depending on temperatures. Also, if bases are moved too far, it will leave screw holes in floor requiring repair.

If it's a simple matter of replacing one with another then it should be straight forward, although I have to assume Thor made it that way for a reason. A very close inspection is the only way to tell for sure if it's an easy modification. I usually proceed with lots of caution and planning on these types of projects.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:53 AM   #8

THOR #2005
Thanks everyone for the comments & suggestions.

I do think the idea of replacing the bases will take further investigation to determine if it is feasible. We have an appointment at the dealer in a couple weeks for some warranty work and we'll ask if they can give us some clear idea as to what is under the area where the bases are located.

I think if we find that replacing the bases isn't a good idea we may just remove the existing ones that stick up and find a way to cover up the spots left behind. We really don't want the table there that came with the coach. We have a folding table that we use both indoors and out that is light and easy to store.

I appreciate the insight and thoughtful comments!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:57 AM   #9

State: Nevada
THOR #970
The table/ L shape dinette sold us at the start, but now we have used it we find the seating to be uncomfortable, I pull the table and set up folding cushion chairs to watch tv now. I am looking at reconfigure that space into recliner style seating..
Old 10-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #10

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
The table/ L shape dinette sold us at the start, but now we have used it we find the seating to be uncomfortable, I pull the table and set up folding cushion chairs to watch tv now. I am looking at reconfigure that space into recliner style seating..
I wholeheartedly agree with your observations! We find the L-shaped dinette very un-user friendly, still and lacking in any kind of comfort factor.

We have taken out the table and use folding (tv tray-style) tables when we dine. We'd like to remove the protruding leg bases, and will do so when we have some time to work on that.

I've been researching ways to replace the L-shape couch, but am not sure how mods would work since there is some kind of equipment bundle (?) installed under the short, front-facing end of the couch. I don't know how that will affect any changes.

If you find a solution that pleases you, would sure appreciate you sharing it!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 AM   #11

THOR #970
The short side is here to stay, way to much stuff under there. I kind of envision some sort of wall hugging side by side recliners on the long side, just need to play with a couple vents there.

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree with your observations! We find the L-shaped dinette very un-user friendly, still and lacking in any kind of comfort factor.

We have taken out the table and use folding (tv tray-style) tables when we dine. We'd like to remove the protruding leg bases, and will do so when we have some time to work on that.

I've been researching ways to replace the L-shape couch, but am not sure how mods would work since there is some kind of equipment bundle (?) installed under the short, front-facing end of the couch. I don't know how that will affect any changes.

If you find a solution that pleases you, would sure appreciate you sharing it!

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:10 AM   #12

Model: windsport 27k
State: Florida
THOR #1140
table leg bases

Hi I just saw the 2016 27K fith up grade. it has the flat table leg flangers. on the floor. They made some new changers. a king digital antena. A six speed transmission. a new a/c dash control panel. bigger with push buttons.a smaller pantry by the steps by about 8 inches. And the big thing is the 27k has been killed. Replaced by a new 29M 31 Feet long outside kitchen dream dinet and a couch. Big slide out on the left. Very nice
Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #13

THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce bus View Post
Hi I just saw the 2016 27K fith up grade. it has the flat table leg flangers. on the floor. They made some new changers. a king digital antena. A six speed transmission. a new a/c dash control panel. bigger with push buttons.a smaller pantry by the steps by about 8 inches. And the big thing is the 27k has been killed. Replaced by a new 29M 31 Feet long outside kitchen dream dinet and a couch. Big slide out on the left. Very nice
The 27K is being discontinued? I can't find any info on that.

Also, we have a 2016 Hurricane 27K and don't seem to have the changes you've mentioned. Does the manufacturer tweak a model during the given model year? In other words, if we bought our 2016 months ago, might newer 27K 2016 models have some differences?

I'd like to find out where to buy the flat table leg flanges!
Old 10-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #14

THOR #1140
Hi Thor keeps making changes through out the year.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 PM   #15

THOR #1140
Yes.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
The 27K is being discontinued? I can't find any info on that.

Also, we have a 2016 Hurricane 27K and don't seem to have the changes you've mentioned. Does the manufacturer tweak a model during the given model year? In other words, if we bought our 2016 months ago, might newer 27K 2016 models have some differences?

I'd like to find out where to buy the flat table leg flanges!
Manufacturers do it all the time. Normally you will see on the web site specs a statement that states something like "on units built after XX date". An example is when they went to the 8K hitch and power drop down bunk on the 2014 Challengers. The mod was applied to units built after 10/1/2014. The specs will normally identify these items with an *.

With that said some things like the pedestal table base may not be consider a significant mod and may not be listed.
FMCA - F432054
Old 10-21-2015, 02:11 AM   #17

THOR #970
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce bus View Post
Hi Thor keeps making changes through out the year.
Yes, is a crap shoot, you can't predict when they start making changes to the model for the new year, typically in steps. You may be able to find a 2015 model with 2016 features if you know what you are looking for. I bought a 2014 that had the rapid camp remote system, ultimately a no gainer because it is almost useless which was a 2015 feature. The only changes I have seen are the glass in the storage doors, and the mini storage/counter top that replaced the handrail on the left of the stairs going in. I think I saw pics of USB port below the radio in one newer add.. There may be some others, have not actually been looking for a new unit but I like to check the value now and then. They seem to hold up pretty good.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:58 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the comments & suggestions.

I do think the idea of replacing the bases will take further investigation to determine if it is feasible. We have an appointment at the dealer in a couple weeks for some warranty work and we'll ask if they can give us some clear idea as to what is under the area where the bases are located.

I think if we find that replacing the bases isn't a good idea we may just remove the existing ones that stick up and find a way to cover up the spots left behind. We really don't want the table there that came with the coach. We have a folding table that we use both indoors and out that is light and easy to store.

I appreciate the insight and thoughtful comments!
It is possible that they installed above floor flanges because they are much easier to install than the flush mount flanges. If you use flush mount flanges your table will be a bit lower.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 PM   #19

State: Michigan
THOR #2977
Table into bed

We have a four winds and can not get the leg off the table please help
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Turn the table upside down on a carpet. Stand on the table and and while applying a bit of side pressure, tap the side of the post with a rubber mallet or wrap a hammer with cloth so as not to damage the soft aluminum. Try applying pressure and tapping in different directions.