Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: North Carolina
THOR #7843
Replacing the Incliner with a Recliner

I have a 2015 Thor Challenger 37GT that has a incliner and sofa with air mattress all in one. It is very uncomfortable and I would like to change it out, I have looked at theater seats and individual recliners but don't want to loose the bed if I can help it. Plus I haven't found anything that would be a good fit size wise or to match the color of the driver and passenger seats. Plus the slide base is about 3" thick so I would have to come up with a cover for that.

The slide is 96" long X 37" to the edge of the slide and 38" to the front of the foot board on the sofa and 40" to the front of the arm rests on each end.

Has anyone replaced just the hardware on their incliners to make them fully recline?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5284.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	9021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	9022  

Name:	IMG_5288.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	9023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5294.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	9024  

Name:	IMG_5293.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	9025   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5295.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	9026  

Name:	IMG_5298.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	9027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	9029  

Old 01-31-2020, 08:28 PM   #2

Model: 37gt Challenger
State: Arkansas
THOR #12432
Did you end up replacing the sofa. I'm thinking of doing the same
Old 01-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #3

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
Did you end up replacing the sofa. I'm thinking of doing the same
I did, we went with the Rec Pro power recline sofa with the center recliner that folds down with cup holder. It is a big improvement over the Incliner and I had enough room to put a small safe at the end of the sofa that doubles as a place to hold my printer. Worked out better than expected.

Don
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #4

THOR #12432
Wow, I just checked those out and they are very nice. The sofa that comes with the RV is terrible. I'm going to see if a blow-up bed will fit in the flooring space. It was my only option for sleeping for guests.
Old 02-01-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

THOR #7843
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvman View Post
Wow, I just checked those out and they are very nice. The sofa that comes with the RV is terrible. I'm going to see if a blow-up bed will fit in the flooring space. It was my only option for sleeping for guests.

Here is the one I was wanting to go with at first. It sit more like a car seat that conforms to you and has power head rests which add to the comfort.

Funny story, I looked all over the country to actually find a show room. I called the company and was told their show room was in Colorado, when I got there I couldn't find them and was told they were in OR, when I got to OR it was in CA, no Nevada, no AR, no it was in TX! After chasing this ever elusive "SHOW ROOM" around the country I finally found one in TX that, Surprise surprise, didn't stock the RV furniture in their show room but just happened to have one in the warehouse that I could sit in. I didn't want to put out $2500 on something and hope it worked. Turns out NOW the main show room is in Ohio! The lack of people actually knowing anything in this company was a little concerning, altho a lot of companies only are online and don't have a show room, it would have been nice to know BEFORE I planned my route! On the bright side we did get to see some great places!

Anyway, back to the sofa, it was comfortable and I liked that I could get matching front seats.

However I thought the Rec Pro was more like a house sofa and would allow someone to lay across it to sleep or just sleep in the reclined position. The angle of the bottom seat kind of rolls you to the back which my sister in law didn't like it, which may be a good thing...

Shortly after (of course) I bought these they came out with cloth instead of leather like (I don't the name) material. It fits perfectly with no room to spare front to back of the slide.

In the end I went with Rec-Pro and I do like it. We wanted more of a house feel to our MH and it was cheaper, so we are happy with it.

https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...t-package.html

One more thing, I did have to remove the side things on the windows to clear the back of the sofa, but not a big deal.

Hope this helps
Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	22427  
Old 02-01-2020, 05:02 PM   #6

THOR #12432
That is very nice and opens up the area. Much nicer than what is stock.

It almost seems like recpro is more of an online site and not a showroom. You drove some miles to see them that's for sure :-)

I just have to figure out how to still use that the area for guests sleeping and have a nicer couch area for use. Wish I had an overhead cabin bed now !