Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2021, 02:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #21613
Retrofit to charge chassis battery

Could one wire a 2019 Compass 24TF RV so that the charging circuit for the RV batteries also charge the chassis battery? If so, would running heavy conductors between similar battery terminals (positive to positive and negative to negative) be sufficient?

Old 01-17-2021, 03:06 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Farmer Folly

I had my dealership install an emergency battery jump start from the coach batteries to the chassis battery so if my chassis battery were dead, I could add a charge from the coach batteries to "jump" start the chassis battery. You have to add a solenoid to the circuit between the two battery setups and the switch. If that is what you are looking to do. It has saved me a few times in the past. I also have a 100 watt solar panel on the roof connected to my coach batteries.

Paul
Old 01-17-2021, 04:05 AM   #3

THOR #21613
Yes, this could be an option, but I fail to see why you can’t charge both sets of batteries when attached to house power.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:11 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Might not be a good idea to tie all the batteries together. If you lose shower power for a long time you might find all your batteries discharged

Have you thought about a perminately mounted battery maintainer under the hood?
With the 120 cord sticking out of the grill, plugged into an extension cord while setup.
We have one similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Maint...0859681&sr=8-5
Old 01-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #5

THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Might not be a good idea to tie all the batteries together. If you lose shower power for a long time you might find all your batteries discharged

Have you thought about a perminately mounted battery maintainer under the hood?

With the 120 cord sticking out of the grill, plugged into an extension cord while setup.

We have one similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Maint...0859681&sr=8-5

This sounds like a great plan, but is the trickle charger referred to adequate to charge the substantial sized chassis battery? I’m going to charge the current 3.5 year old battery (current 3.4V), but if this doesn’t help, might insert an AGM battery along with the trickle charger. Guess you could also use the generator to charge the chassis battery while boondocking. We are new to RV, so all input is appreciated.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is the best option for having the house charging circuit maintain your chassis battery when the coach was not wored for it to do so.

I installed this on my last Class C and it worked great.... especially with solar installed. The converter will keep both the house and chassis battery charged with this installed.

Mega TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
Old 01-17-2021, 04:31 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Paul,
How did this mod have to "wiggled into" a harmonious mix with the Sprinter's electronics?
Old 01-17-2021, 05:06 PM   #8

THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Paul,

How did this mod have to "wiggled into" a harmonious mix with the Sprinter's electronics?

Bob, I guess the idea of the RV charging both batteries on house power has less to do with the Sprinter electronics than the coach electronics. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems reasonable to me that an RV should have the ability to co-charge both batteries while hooked up to house power, especially since chassis batteries are perhaps more likely to be discharged. Am I misguided?
Old 01-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Battery-...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
[QUOTE=Farmer Folly;272911]Bob, I guess the idea of the RV charging both batteries on house power has less to do with the Sprinter electronics than the coach electronics. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems reasonable to me that an RV should have the ability to co-charge both batteries while hooked up to house power... Am I misguided?[/QUOTE
Not from my chair!
Old 01-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #11

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Folly View Post
This sounds like a great plan, but is the trickle charger referred to adequate to charge the substantial sized chassis battery? I’m going to charge the current 3.5 year old battery (current 3.4V), but if this doesn’t help, might insert an AGM battery along with the trickle charger. Guess you could also use the generator to charge the chassis battery while boondocking. We are new to RV, so all input is appreciated.
Sorry but at 3.4v your chassis battery is pretty much dead and going to stay that way.
Go ahead and take it out.
Auto supply stores will try to charge and put a load test on it.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:19 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html

Simple to install and works a treat.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #13
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Bob, I guess the idea of the RV charging both batteries on house power has less to do with the Sprinter electronics than the coach electronics. Maybe I’m naive, but it seems reasonable to me that an RV should have the ability to co-charge both batteries while hooked up to house power, especially since chassis batteries are perhaps more likely to be discharged. Am I misguided?
No, almost all class A motorhomes and a lot of class C motorhomes come wired that way from the factory. Mercedes does not allow the RV manufacturer to cross-connect the house and chassis battery systems.

What you want is something that will charge the chassis battery from the converter and maybe charge the house battery bank from the alternator but disconnect/separate the battery banks when no charging is going on. You may also want the ability to "jump" the chassis battery from the house batteries or vice versa (to start the generator).

Cavie gave you a link to the charging solution.

This may accomplish both:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RZNP5K
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:39 PM   #14

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
I've never owned a motorhome, but have owned several towables, just curious is the chassis battery discharging an issue? There's several wondering how to keep them charged. What's discharging them while parked? On most vehicles once the key is off there's nothing discharging the battery.
As for the alternator, it's designed to keep a good battery topped off while traveling, it will take lots of miles to charge a 50% discharged battery with the alternator. It also would take forever to charge or keep charged a multi battery bank due small gauge wire.
If the converter is keeping the coach batteries fully charged then why not use jumper cables from them to start the vehicle if needed?
What am I missing here?
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
I've never owned a motorhome, but have owned several towables, just curious is the chassis battery discharging an issue? There's several wondering how to keep them charged. What's discharging them while parked? On most vehicles once the key is off there's nothing discharging the battery.
As for the alternator, it's designed to keep a good battery topped off while traveling, it will take lots of miles to charge a 50% discharged battery with the alternator. It also would take forever to charge or keep charged a multi battery bank due small gauge wire.
If the converter is keeping the coach batteries fully charged then why not use jumper cables from them to start the vehicle if needed?
What am I missing here?
Convenience, reliability, and peace of mind.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Motorhomes just happen to sit a lot more than they are driven.
And some chassis bleed off battery power much quicker than others.
And... some chassis manufacturers don't allow the RV manufacturers to charge the chassis battery; when the coach batteries are being charged...
Old 01-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Whike youre doing the wiring, I installed this today,
Absolute battery cut out.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...b_b_asin_image

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #18

THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Sorry but at 3.4v your chassis battery is pretty much dead and going to stay that way.

Go ahead and take it out.

Auto supply stores will try to charge and put a load test on it.

Just purchased the AMP-L-START system. Thank you for the advice. Will replace the chassis battery too.

Next will consider how to add a solar panel to the roof and then connect it with the solar controller available in the coach. Not sure whether there is wiring already available going from the controller to the roof. Might need some guidance from Thor or someone who has already done this. Guess there is much to learn as a new RV owner.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:19 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
You should check the roof to see if there is a box with the pre-wired solar waiting to tie into the controller from the solar panel you plan to install They may already be there waiting.

Paul
Old 01-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Just purchased the AMP-L-START system. Thank you for the advice. Will replace the chassis battery too.

Next will consider how to add a solar panel to the roof and then connect it with the solar controller available in the coach. Not sure whether there is wiring already available going from the controller to the roof. Might need some guidance from Thor or someone who has already done this. Guess there is much to learn as a new RV owner.

If your coach came with a solar controller there certainly should be wires to the roof - perhaps under a small square metal panel. I’d connect the controller output directly to the house battery terminals and then your Amp-L-Start from the house batteries to the chassis battery. Should be good to go!