Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: axis 25.1
State: Indiana
THOR #5637
Ride

I have a 2015 thor axis 25.1-i have added bilsteins: front sumo springs; front sway bar-all helps my driving except ride is still terrible-when i hit tgose expansion joints on overpass it feels like we will break apart and dash shakes-any ideas?
Thanks
John

Old 06-20-2019, 01:09 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisjdr View Post
I have a 2015 thor axis 25.1-i have added bilsteins: front sumo springs; front sway bar-all helps my driving except ride is still terrible-when i hit tgose expansion joints on overpass it feels like we will break apart and dash shakes-any ideas?
Thanks
John
That's quite surprising. I have only done an alignment (which helped immensely with tracking) and SumoSprings. The difference was night and day with the Sumos on there. Every time I hit a pothole or a bump (or the different level on a bridge approach), it's a mild bounce, not the hard jolt that was there originally. I couldn't be happier with them! Hopefully, you will find what's going on with yours; this simply doesn't sound right.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:12 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
The only other thing that comes to mind is tire pressure. Did you ever have it weighed for recommended pressures?
Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sounds to me like you need to reinforce the dash. It is possible that it isn't screwed down to the frame that well...it is a Thor.

All of your suspension mods served to stiffen up the suspension causing a lot more shock to the coach, including the dash.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM   #5

THOR #5637
Should i remove sumo and go back to stock?
Old 06-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Sumo comes in different durometer ratings(hardness). I think they are designated for easy identification by color. If you have installed the wrong one it will RUIN your ride. If hard enough, the suspension won't compress.

We once installed the wrong offroad shocks (Rough Country brand shocks on the Bravada wasn't the best choice) and barely made it home. Absolutely ruined the vehicle.

When having 31's installed on an 800lb chenwoth sand rail, the shop put 40psi in a tire that would use 8psi for that particular vehicle... We didn't make it a mile down the road before it damn near killed us. It was hopping down the road and the slightest bump made it go airborne.

So... We've experienced the wrong choices you might have made. You haven't supplied enough information for anyone to help you with your question.

Which sumo kit, what sway bar, bilstein rating, tire psi front and back, are the minimum info needed.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:44 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sounds to me like you need to reinforce the dash. It is possible that it isn't screwed down to the frame that well...it is a Thor.

All of your suspension mods served to stiffen up the suspension causing a lot more shock to the coach, including the dash.

Exactly my thoughts as I read through this...the cab and front end are manufactured by an RV "body" company. Sounds like some of the glue, rivets, plastic and plywood are vibrating loose.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #8

State: Michigan
THOR #12333
Tire pressure and for us, a full fresh water tank. Our first trip with the new rig, it rode terrible. Handling was decent but ride was rough. I adjusted the tire pressure and that made a little difference. The third trip we were going to a state park so I had to take our own water. We have a 100 gal. tank. Filled it up and the ride was so much better. I think it kind of preloads the shocks/springs and takes out some of the jarring effect. Worked for us. I never travel without at least a half tank of fresh water now. YMMV
funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #9

THOR #5637
Sumo are blue-helwig sway bar-bilsteins soft on front and hd on vack