Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Georgia
THOR #22435
Testing circuit breaker for new A/C

I installed a 2nd AC on its own circuit with an inlet to connect directly to the pedestal. The circuit breaker is a 20 amp push button type and I would like to test to make sure it is working. Normally turning the A/C on and off again quickly would pop it, but the new A/C has a built in soft start so that isn't working.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Connect a space heater and turn it on to 1/4, 1//2 or full to put enough additional load so you are exceeding the breaker's rating. If say at 21 amps it will take a while. If at 30 amps it should quickly pop.

David
Old 08-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #3

THOR #22435
Good idea, but the AC it directly wired to the breaker which is then directly wired to an inlet. From there I connect an extension cord to the campground pedestal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Connect a space heater and turn it on to 1/4, 1//2 or full to put enough additional load so you are exceeding the breaker's rating. If say at 21 amps it will take a while. If at 30 amps it should quickly pop.

David
Old 08-16-2021, 11:54 AM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Cool

I have never heard of someone wanting to 'test' a LV circuit breaker before. :-/
I have commissioned many HV breakers, never one for a standard outlet, but if you must, connect the heater suggested by DavidEM directly to the breaker. I am guessing that is what he was suggesting anyway. Then it is just a simple matter of removing it after.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Maybe rvquest is wanting see if there is any 120vac comming out of the breaker?
Old 08-16-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Turning on the A/C if known good would do that. Otherwise a simple voltmeter would confirm the presence of 120 VAC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #7

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
Please reread his post... He wanted to "pop it".
Old 08-16-2021, 10:00 PM   #8

THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Please reread his post... He wanted to "pop it".
I saw it, I kept reading and reading just couldn't figure out why he wanted to pop it.
Thought maybe the new AC isn't working???
Old 08-17-2021, 03:13 AM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Since you went to all the trouble of adding the circuit why not also add an outlet on that circuit near the center of your coach. I did it and actually use the outlet more than the AC. I mostly use it for a space heater in the fall and spring so that I don’t have to run the furnace as often. It leaves the “regular” service free to run a second heater as well as regular needs like a coffee maker etc. Since you wouldn’t normally run both a space heater and your new AC at the same time it’s not a problem but it’ll make it easy for you to test your breaker. Though I too don’t really see any need to do that.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

THOR #22435
Yes, I want to "pop" the circuit breaker to make sure it works. You guys are making me think that is weird lol. I just figure testing it was normal. There is no outlet wired currently. Just an inlet to the breaker then to the AC control box which has manual controls.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #11

THOR #22435
I bought this off eBay. Should I just assume it will trip? My concern is the Romeo passes through multiple metal studs and if were to ever wear the coating off I want to make sure this trips before a fire breaks out. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
I have never heard of someone wanting to 'test' a LV circuit breaker before. :-/
I have commissioned many HV breakers, never one for a standard outlet, but if you must, connect the heater suggested by DavidEM directly to the breaker. I am guessing that is what he was suggesting anyway. Then it is just a simple matter of removing it after.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #12

THOR #22435
Not a bad idea, but I dont have a lot of options for placement. This AC was added to the bedroom where the vent fan used to be. I would just need to find a good spot for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Since you went to all the trouble of adding the circuit why not also add an outlet on that circuit near the center of your coach. I did it and actually use the outlet more than the AC. I mostly use it for a space heater in the fall and spring so that I don’t have to run the furnace as often. It leaves the “regular” service free to run a second heater as well as regular needs like a coffee maker etc. Since you wouldn’t normally run both a space heater and your new AC at the same time it’s not a problem but it’ll make it easy for you to test your breaker. Though I too don’t really see any need to do that.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:09 PM   #13

THOR #8139
There should be a E or EE along shortly, but.

IF the AC is in and working turn it off, take the black wire off the lug labeled "load".
Get a short piece of wire and touch and hold 1 end to "load" then touch the other end to the the white neutral wire, should be in a wire nut close.

If breaker trips (pops) test ok, put everything back the way it was, reset the breaker and turn the AC on.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest View Post
I bought this off eBay. Should I just assume it will trip? My concern is the Romeo passes through multiple metal studs and if were to ever wear the coating off I want to make sure this trips before a fire breaks out. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rvquest if you want to simply test if the breaker will "pop", access the wires for the a/c unit itself and short them, this would throw the breaker immediately.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:20 PM   #15

THOR #22435
So just jump black to white and the breaker should pop right away?
Old 08-23-2021, 08:18 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvquest View Post
So just jump black to white and the breaker should pop right away?

Yes it will. You’ll probably get a pretty starting spark when you do it. That’s not how I’d chose to test it though.