Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #17713
Rocking and a swaying

I have a 2013 Thor tuscany 36 mq
When I go in or out of a driveway the coach sways so much I think it is going to tip over([emoji3]) one time the fridge door flew open, the stuff in the pantry rearranged it self. I have 40k miles on the coach( that shouldn’t matter)so would new shocks and or sumo springs solve my problem?

Old 06-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Sumo’s helped me stop that.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
That’s a Freightliner chassis with Air-Bag suspension.
I’d check your air suspension first.
(Not sure that SUMO Springs are made for your chassis)
Old 06-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Sorry I assumed he was on the F53.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnj2 View Post
When I go in or out of a driveway the coach sways so much I think it is going to tip over([emoji3]) one time the fridge door flew open, the stuff in the pantry rearranged it self. I have 40k miles on the coach( that shouldn’t matter)so would new shocks and or sumo springs solve my problem?
Is this a new coach for you, new observation you just started to notice etc.? i.e. did you go 40k mikes and now this is suddenly a problem?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
Perhaps just slow down a bit?
Old 06-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I only suspect you could have issues with one or both of your forward shocks, but admittedly, these coaches WILL have sway and 'bounce' when moving the rear wheels off of differing surface heights, whether while traveling, but especially when moving over transitions, such as driveways, and even just regular undulations in the roadway...

we've had our share of 'spills', and actually one just today, as the 4 lane divided 65mph highway SUDDENLY came to a total and complete RIGHT HAND TURN - crazy! and you try your best to manage to 'turn', but ultimately the weight of the coach is going to bring some sway and tilt to the equation, no matter how hard you try sometimes to slow down to a reasonable speed for the situation, then throw in the curvature and lumps in the turn and you have a way to easily ruin your day.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:05 AM   #8

THOR #17713
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Is this a new coach for you, new observation you just started to notice etc.? i.e. did you go 40k mikes and now this is suddenly a problem?

New coach for me.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #9

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
New coach for me.
In that case, I will have to side with CPMATH on this one. I noticed something similar with brand new coach.

1. I started to mentally think like I was driving a big bus with about 50 kids none of which belong to me and no insurance until I got out to free space. Just slow down.

2. Make checklist. There are about 8 things that we move, lock down, or secure before I even attempt to move the RV. They range from free standing clock, shower door to ensuring the locks (detents) on refrigerator are secure.

I would at least try all of that before spending money on sway just for that reason.

One other thing that maybe is relevant or someone can explained to me why, but when we first got the RV, the sway from every truck was killing me. I could feel them when they were coming from behind. It was white knuckle city on interstates. But over time, maybe 2 months, either I don't feel it anymore or it went away?

I did add the Safe T Plus stabilizer, but I don't think it was to fix sway? I think it is for better control to keep straight (stop wander), and safety in the event of blow out of a front tire?

It is also possibility that I drive a tad faster these days and have fewer trucks passing me? All I know is that winds from trucks don't freak me out any more, and I was at one point thinking I need to spend a lot of money to fix something.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #10

State: Iowa
THOR #6176
Quote:
Make sure your air bags are fully inflated before moving coach. Air pressures need to be at max.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
large motorhomes don't like anything to do with potholes, differences in terrain between the rear wheels, curbs, driveway transitions, or anything that is not completely FLAT and LEVEL.

so, you HAVE to be very careful, and VERY slow, when driving over these areas. There is no 'magic' answer or equipment that is going to solve the 'problem', only you the driver can.
There are times when a transition can certainly seem to tilt your coach far to one side, but it's NOT going to somehow 'tip over', but you have to take it slowly. Batten down the hatches before you ever leave. Lock the fridge. Move anything and everything off any surface, such as the kitchen counters, that is prone to sliding around. Make sure all doors are closed(the bathroom, etc).
The SLOWER you take these transitions, the better the outcome.

I've been there, and done that.
The 'earthquake' that can happen when you don't prescribe to these directions will render you, or your spouse, quickly into a very negative mood. When a gallon of milk falls out of the opening fridge door and breaks open onto the floor, it will take some time to clean it up AND eventually make up with your wife. When her precious blender falls off the kitchen counter and breaks on the floor, you will have some apologizing to do!

Take it SLOW.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #12

THOR #26821
Rocking and a swaying

I have owned a 2015 Tuscany 36MQ for about a year. It has 36k miles on it. A couple of months ago, I noticed the feeling of the RV tilting towards the driver side when I was driving. It didn't do that when I first bought it. I have replaced all 4 year tires as it was time and that helped a little. I'm now having the shocks replaced and will have the bags inspected at the same time. I'll post up more as I find out what is the culprit.
Old 03-06-2023, 10:42 PM   #13

THOR #17713
Thanks Unibass for your for your reply. I spoke a person ( I will not say his name) over at super steer 541-955-0769 My problem could very well be the motion control on the air bags. Which I have not had checked
Below are things I’ve had done.
1. Added Koni shocks
2.safety plus steering
3.Bell crank(super steer)old one cracked
4. Front end aligned
Whew
Now I just slow down when it comes to drive ways.
Don’t ask what all this cost me LOL
Old 03-06-2023, 11:51 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Happens to us in our 2021. Only deep gutters, rear wheels at angle. The weight of the diesel and the airbags. I found go slow and try to lessen the angle of the rear wheels as much as I can works. And always lock the refrigerator door and the shower too. We used to forget.... no more.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote