Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #20824
Running 110 power outlets off Existing inverter

I have a 2019 Challenger 37TB that the residential fridge runs off the inverter. I want to make my 110 plugs (TVs and etc) run off the inverter as well. Anyone made this change? I am not sure how to handle the wiring, and i am having a hard time to finding a reliable installer in Los Angeles area to handle this.

I am adding more solar and replacing batteries with 4 Lithiums so i'll have enough juice for most electrical appllicances (except of course, convection ove, AC, etc that i only run with generator).

Thanks
Tony

Old 10-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
You need an Electrician. Try a local mobile tech.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspad View Post
I have a 2019 Challenger 37TB that the residential fridge runs off the inverter. I want to make my 110 plugs (TVs and etc) run off the inverter as well. Anyone made this change? I am not sure how to handle the wiring, and i am having a hard time to finding a reliable installer in Los Angeles area to handle this.

I am adding more solar and replacing batteries with 4 Lithiums so i'll have enough juice for most electrical appllicances (except of course, convection ove, AC, etc that i only run with generator).

Thanks
Tony
Behind the inverter will be a junction box where all of the wiring for the inverter circuits are combined. You can remove the wires from the power center circuit breaker and move those wires to the inverter's junction box, however than is not a good idea as you can easily overload the inverter's transfer switch or the inverter itself. The correct way would to buy an inverter which will supply 30 amps or so with a 30 amp transfer switch (Xantrex Freedom X 3000). Then run all circuits you want to run off the inverter through a sub panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0614_094939AA.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	26731  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Would it be a good idea to upgrade to an inverter that can deliver more watts?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #5

THOR #20824
I don't mind upgrading the inverter to a more heavy duty inverter. Just need to find out the wiring. I am guessing same place as the fridge is connected, and then try to figure out which wire for the rest of 110 get connected to the fridge location on panel.

Even if i go to second inverter which i dont mind, its really the same question regarding which wire connects all the 110. so i can connect it to the second inverter.

I think i can download the elctrical panel schematics
Old 10-16-2020, 09:18 PM   #6

THOR #6411
Quote:
I don't mind upgrading the inverter to a more heavy duty inverter. Just need to find out the wiring. I am guessing same place as the fridge is connected, and then try to figure out which wire for the rest of 110 get connected to the fridge location on panel.

Even if i go to second inverter which i dont mind, its really the same question regarding which wire connects all the 110. so i can connect it to the second inverter.

I think i can download the electrical panel schematics
The cable that connects your 120 volt duplex receptacles presently goes to a 15 amp circuit breaker in the power center. It should be labeled by where the receptacles are located: bedroom, dinette, living room, bathroom, etc. In a Challenger you probably have 4 different 120 volt circuits not on the inverter. My power center is located in the bed side and the wiring is accessed by a removable panel in the bed platform.

Behind the inverter, there is a junction box for the duplex receptacles off the inverter (TVs, media center, fridge). In the picture attached of my coach, the junction box is just to the right of the inverter in the very back. It is no longer used in my installation as the sub-panel replaced the need for a junction box. The orange 10 awg cable connects the inverter's transfer switch to the power center then connects the inverter's output to the sub panel. The two 120 volt duplex receptacles circuits were moved from the power center's 15 amp circuit breakers to the sub-panel circuit breakers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020_0614_094557AA.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	26734  
Old 10-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #7

THOR #20824
I like your explanation. I "think" i know what you are saying lol

So, here are the schematics of my rig wiring in PDF, and couple of pictures. I just downloaded it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5104.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	26738   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5093.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	26739  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 20201016_5^1 5E I3A II 3E j1-BLK.pdf (280.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 20201016_Made to fit_001.pdf (357.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf 20201016_Made to fit.pdf (262.8 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-16-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:

I think i can download the elctrical panel schematics
no one wire connects to all the 110 except the shore power.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:05 AM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

So, here are the schematics of my rig wiring in PDF, and couple of pictures. I just downloaded it.
Well only one of those is a schematic and it is for the DC side of your coach; BUT the other PDFs show you have an 1800 watt inverter that besides powering the fridge, also powers the TV outlets, so you do have some additional 120 VAC capability already built into the coach.

The only other circuits you should move to the inverter would be the 5A and 6A circuits but that would give you 45 AC amps worth of circuits running off a single 15 Amp circuit breaker, not to mention overloading the inverter's output transfer switch and the inverter itself. You would need to change the breaker and AC wiring to the inverter, the inverter itself to a 4000+ watt inverter, and the DC wiring and fuse to the inverter.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:41 AM   #10

THOR #6411
Quote:

The cable (circuit breaker) labeled TV receptacles is for the inverter transfer relay. The one you want to power is general receptacles. You need to remove those three wires (Romex cable) to the junction box labeled TV and fridge.

The stock inverter is 15 amps @ 120 volts and is probably supplied by 2 awg cables and can pull 150 amps or 250 amps for 1/2 of a second through a 250 amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment. If you have 4 110 amp-h batteries, then you have 220 amp-h usable. I would not recommend you try to power the GFCI circuits with the common inverter.

I would recommend you look at the total needs for the fridge, TVs and the general receptacles. If you are like me and just plan to power a portable ice maker, TV and sound bar, DirecTV and the fridge and never a heater or coffee maker, the 4 batteries and 1800 vwatt inverter can handle it. I get by with a 2000 amp inverter with a 30 amp transfer switch.

With more batteries and a bigger inverter (or another 2000 watt inverter) you could do even more, but than would require more battery cable, another circuit breaker and more rewiring.
Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Can't he set up something he can plug his shore power plug into in the basement? I know I'm probably missing something but, if he runs wires down there and sets up a receptacle, just plug it up in the electrical bay? That way the coaches standard equipment takes over the rest. He 'd just have to discipline himself around the micro and A/C.