Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #12091
Sound Deadening on 2017 Miramar 34.1

I had some inner wheel wells made for my front wheel wells and added 3/4” Boom Mat to the entire underside of the driver and passenger area, engine cover and front dash. These mods made a big difference with the noise from the engine and road. See attached photos.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	10989Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4530.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	10990Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4532.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	10991Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4546.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	10992Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4551.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	10993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	10994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4526.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	10995

Old 06-25-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37 LX
State: Florida
THOR #7853
Looks great. How long did it take to do and how much? Might consider this for our Challenger.

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #3

THOR #12091
Sound Deadening on 2017 Miramar 34.1

I may have spent 8-10 hours or so over a few days. It’s kind of tight quarters and I had to clean the surfaces first. We als applied 2 layers to the bottom of the engine cover. Here’s a link to the Boom May I used: https://www.amazon.com/050130-Under-...ACL&ref=plSrch the inner Wells I had made took a couple weeks to get from a sheet metal fabricator. I gave them the measurements and I made a model of the inner well out of the thin corrugated plastic sheets you can get a Home Depot. I made sure they would fit before having them made. After that I took them to LineX for the coating.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:53 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilley-Dilley View Post
I may have spent 8-10 hours or so over a few days. It’s kind of tight quarters and I had to clean the surfaces first. We als applied 2 layers to the bottom of the engine cover. Here’s a link to the Boom May I used: https://www.amazon.com/050130-Under-...ACL&ref=plSrch the inner Wells I had made took a couple weeks to get from a sheet metal fabricator. I gave them the measurements and I made a model of the inner well out of the thin corrugated plastic sheets you can get a Home Depot. I made sure they would fit before having them made. After that I took them to LineX for the coating.

Awesome job I’d love to do something like that to mine

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classictint View Post
Awesome job I’d love to do something like that to mine
Go to Modifications and updates, Jerry’s Hurricane mods, you’ll find over 150 pages of mods for your 29M, sound deadening is one of them.

WARNING: viewing Jerry’s mods can be very damaging to your wallet!!!

P.S. I did just the doghouse on our coach and it made a big difference.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:35 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #4312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Go to Modifications and updates, Jerry’s Hurricane mods, you’ll find over 150 pages of mods for your 29M, sound deadening is one of them.

WARNING: viewing Jerry’s mods can be very damaging to your wallet!!!

P.S. I did just the doghouse on our coach and it made a big difference.

Yes I follow that thread. I’m so far behind [emoji30]

Be a blessing to someone
Classictint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 03:09 AM   #7

THOR #12091
More Sound Deadening Modifications...
This is an experiment that didn’t cost a lot of money but may pay dividends in the heat insulating and noise reducing department. I bought some denim insulation from Home Depot and stuffed it in the dashboard area of my 2017 Miramar 34.1. It can’t hurt and I’ll let you know how it works.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5495.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	11574Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5498.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	11575Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5497.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	11576Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5496.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	11577
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
That looks awesome. I have been insulating inside and outside my Axis as well. I though about making some plastic innerfender liners to keep down some of the noise and use some 3/4 inch Fat matt between them. I might looking into the stainless steel route. I can coat with some flex seal.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #9

THOR #12091
I used the thin corrugated white plastic sheets that you can buy at Home Depot to make a model of what the inner wheel well liner should be. After measuring several times I was able to come up with the right design and check it for fit before having the final sheet metal manufactured. The sheet metal is 18 gauge galvanized and then I had it coated with LineX. The rest of everything in the engine compartment, behind the front grill and the wheel wells was lined with 3/4” Boom Mat which is thermal acoustic and has its own adhesive backing. Under the engine cover I used 2 layers of the 3/4” Boom Mat. It’s all made a big difference in noise and heat reduction. I may install padded carpet, or padded carpet squares on the floor in the front cab as well as make a insulated cover to put on the engine cover.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Quote:
I may install padded carpet, or padded carpet squares
You know I gotta say one of the biggest things you can do to reduce noise in any RV is carpet. I know carpet is frowned upon these days in houses, everyone wants hardwood floors and carpet is so '80's. lol. But in our motorhomes, I wouldn't even think about NOT carpeting the entire coach.

I did exactly that in our Vegas. Not a single person that's seen the finished product thinks it looked better with the vinyl flooring. And it's QUIET!!! Spooky quiet. Seriously quiet. lol. The hundreds of dollars and hours I spent on the rest of the coach also played a part in that quiet.

If you search for my thread on my Vegas Rebuild it has pictures of the carpet. If any of you are at all considering it or trying to quiet these rigs down, don't hesitate to use carpet (padded underneath of course). It will make more of a difference than any other sound deadening you can do.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Yep, any textile that can absorb sound would help greatly in a RV. Not only will the carpet buffer the sound comming up it will absorb (or not bounce) other sounds from other areas in the RV.

We have some thow rugs on the floor - not sure if they help much - but it make it easy to clean the RV. I just shake them outside until we get home where I can vac them good.

I thought about covering the plastic ceiling panels with headliner material of simular color (lightly padded). I bet that absorbs a ton of sound. I might just cover the bottom of the drop down bunk (Over our heads in the captains chairs in cockpit) and see if that helps. Thats really the only area I like to quiet down more.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #12

THOR #12091
Thanks for the info. I think it sounds like a good idea to add padding and carpet. The rolled flooring in these rigs is cheap and doesn’t hold up.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Yep, any textile that can absorb sound would help greatly in a RV. Not only will the carpet buffer the sound comming up it will absorb (or not bounce) other sounds from other areas in the RV.

We have some thow rugs on the floor - not sure if they help much - but it make it easy to clean the RV. I just shake them outside until we get home where I can vac them good.

I thought about covering the plastic ceiling panels with headliner material of simular color (lightly padded). I bet that absorbs a ton of sound. I might just cover the bottom of the drop down bunk (Over our heads in the captains chairs in cockpit) and see if that helps. Thats really the only area I like to quiet down more.

I did that and a bunch of other plastic panels up front. Look at my Vegas Mod pictures for ideas or info.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...hed-12575.html

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 AM   #14

THOR #12091
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
You know I gotta say one of the biggest things you can do to reduce noise in any RV is carpet. I know carpet is frowned upon these days in houses, everyone wants hardwood floors and carpet is so '80's. lol. But in our motorhomes, I wouldn't even think about NOT carpeting the entire coach.

I did exactly that in our Vegas. Not a single person that's seen the finished product thinks it looked better with the vinyl flooring. And it's QUIET!!! Spooky quiet. Seriously quiet. lol. The hundreds of dollars and hours I spent on the rest of the coach also played a part in that quiet.

If you search for my thread on my Vegas Rebuild it has pictures of the carpet. If any of you are at all considering it or trying to quiet these rigs down, don't hesitate to use carpet (padded underneath of course). It will make more of a difference than any other sound deadening you can do.

Did you have your carpeting installed or did you do it yourself? Your rig looks amazing by the way[emoji1303]