Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
RV Intruder

I have just finished my own iDevice application for intrusion detection. It uses the Elgato Eve Motion Sensor (~$50). The issue with these type of devices is that they require a hub (Instead or Apple TV) to be able to send alerts to your iPhone. I noticed that the iDevice could detect the intrusion. So why not have it send an SMS. I created a web site that will send the SMS. Then I just access that site if I want it to send an SMS.

This will require me to leave one of my iDevices (iPhone or iPad with data plan) in my rig to detect the motion. The other device will get the SMS. I tend to carry my iPad into restaurants for reading while eating. So I can leave the iPhone in rig.

This is not a commercial product, so I can't share. Just an exercise in making it work.

Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #2

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I guess my question is if you are 20 minutes away from your rig and your detection device indicates someone, or actually something in your rig, what do you do then?

Do you call the police? Do you speed back to your rig to see if it has been broken into, your device malfunctioned, or a mouse set it off.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The issue is at truck stops, chain restaurants, and other large parking lots. This is where most break-ins happen. I would be within a couple seconds of the rig.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
The issue is at truck stops, chain restaurants, and other large parking lots. This is where most break-ins happen. I would be within a couple seconds of the rig.
I guess since we never park and leave the rig at those places I never really thought about it like that. If you feel threatened in those places or frequent places like that in your area that experience break-ins, please use caution if your alarm system does go off and you respond back to your rig. Usually the best course of action is to call 911.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote