Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 01:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
RV Tire Covers??

1) does anyone use these?
2) Thor Vegas wheel covers?
3) if needed where does one buy?
4) do they help

https://rvlife.com/rv-tire-covers/?u...m_medium=email

I do spray my tires

Spray your tires with 303. You can also spray your tires with 303 Aerospace Protectant for sun protection. The spray can be used on any vinyl, plastic, or rubber surfaces including RV slideouts. It protects from UV light and helps prevent cracking and fading.

Old 07-28-2022, 02:16 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I use them when parked at home but they stay in the garage when on trips

Do they help?? Who knows. But I do know they don't hurt the tires. For the few bucks that they cost why not use them

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:47 PM   #3

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Same here - Use them when in storage even though we have covered storage...
I don't use them when out on the road camping.
These go on pretty easy and stay on for $50bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Anything that blocks UV rays can't be bad. There's a lot of discipline involved in using the tire covers. Easy to start and get excited about them and just as easy to say..."I'll for sure use them next time...what can one time not using them hurt?".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Anything that blocks UV rays can't be bad. There's a lot of discipline involved in using the tire covers. Easy to start and get excited about them and just as easy to say..."I'll for sure use them next time...what can one time not using them hurt?".
Agree completely. I have a pair of covers for the passenger side of our MH for use when in storage (the drivers side doesn't see any sun.)

As often as we use the MH it's just too much of a PITA to install them every time we park it in the "carport".

So I had some old 3/8" plywood which I used and cut out 2 flat bottom ovals that fit in the wheel well of the MH. Screwed them on a 2"x4" base that hugs the tires and I just slide these guys up against the tires when parked in the carport. They're free-standing so to go, I just pull them out of the way and back out.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #6433
That’s good to know that they are kind of a pain to use when you go on the road. I was thinking of getting some but now I am rethinking that idea.
Old 07-28-2022, 05:00 PM   #7

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottosails View Post
Same here - Use them when in storage even though we have covered storage...
I don't use them when out on the road camping.
These go on pretty easy and stay on for $50bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thx I have 16 inch wheels..I think
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Agree completely. I have a pair of covers for the passenger side of our MH for use when in storage (the drivers side doesn't see any sun.)

As often as we use the MH it's just too much of a PITA to install them every time we park it in the "carport".

So I had some old 3/8" plywood which I used and cut out 2 flat bottom ovals that fit in the wheel well of the MH. Screwed them on a 2"x4" base that hugs the tires and I just slide these guys up against the tires when parked in the carport. They're free-standing so to go, I just pull them out of the way and back out.
Great idea
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 07-28-2022, 05:50 PM   #9

Model: SV34
State: Arizona
THOR #24580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
So true Gritz - Our covers are off right now and we have been home from our last trip for 2 weeks...
Ottosails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Great idea

The Ace is cheating, he is not using tire covers, he has built two little tire houses or tire fences

I have a set of 4 that I use. Really a nice grade of quality material, easy to put on and off. I don't carry them with me and they are on 90% of the time.

I mainly use them to help them to last longer because on boat tires, I replace due to age, I am thinking the RV will be the same.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:50 PM   #11

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
That’s good to know that they are kind of a pain to use when you go on the road. I was thinking of getting some but now I am rethinking that idea.
Not really a pain Im just lazy I do bring them if camping at the desert or Kern River because the sun is so intense there. Once at Kern the sun heated up my tpms sensor so much I had to take it off and not use it. It wasnt working It worked fine after I got home and still use it.

THe sun reflexing off the rims is brutal So in thse cases only I bring them

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:18 PM   #12

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Not really a pain Im just lazy I do bring them if camping at the desert or Kern River because the sun is so intense there. Once at Kern the sun heated up my tpms sensor so much I had to take it off and not use it. It wasnt working It worked fine after I got home and still use it.

THe sun reflexing off the rims is brutal So in thse cases only I bring them

Jerry
Okay that makes sound better. Kind of same thing we were camping out in the middle of Washington state this last weekend in the desert so it was sun all day on the tires and that’s what got me thinking of getting some.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #13

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Amazon
Old 07-28-2022, 11:57 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Yes even when camping ( 2 nights or more) to keep the wheels clean from rain dirt splatter.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #15

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
To each their own feeling about using them.

IMHO: if your rig sits long times in one place, and the tires are exposed to the sunlight, or if you are worried the wheels may get dirty (what about the covers getting dirty?), it may be an alright idea.

Sitting long may vary by user, but for me it 5 days or more, and yes direct sunlight is worry. I don't worry about dirt. Covers are cheap and throw away if soiled. RV Tires $3,000 Tire Covers $30

But then storing them while traveling, I'm almost to the point of pulling a bigger trailer now, with taking extras like tiki torches and fuel for them. LOL
I also bring along a 10 x 15 canopy for added roof space. Bulky enough, then there is the dog pen fence for my doxxies. Always an extra folding chair, or two, one is a rocking one. Oh yes, the golf cart, and a motorcycle...
I digress.

I don't use them, I mean, do you worry as much about your car, or truck's tires?

Not my cars or SUV in my case because they don't sit out like the RV does; but yes in the case of my boat, and the motorcycles have full covers. I was surprise that some take them while traveling, but I can see based on where they are traveling to and plan to stay, tire covers can be stuffed most anywhere and help to protect other items from movement. My tire covers stay in garage when traveling

I would think I will wear my tires out before they crack up from UV exposure. But I also rotate my tires every 10K miles.

If I knew I would use the tread up 1st, I would NOT use tire covers either on my RV, to me the goal of tire covers to allow the tire's life to last 6 - 8 years based om mfg date code then replace. I never bother with Mfg date codes for cars or SUV because I have to buy tires when the threads are gone.

Just my opinion on me personally using them. Maybe if they sported your sports team, or something non-political, that'd look good.

Mine are high quality brown canvas material with dark brown pin stripes that matches the inside furniture upholstery.

But like I first said, whatever floats your boat, I have no problem with y'all using them, I just don't.
How many miles do you get before you replace your tires? I have about 25k miles at a tad under 4 years. They still look new. Never rotated tires, never had an alignment. So my thought is BEST case; some time in 2026; I will have to buy new tires no matter the condition of thread, but based on 8 years age of date code.

What would suggest I do differently?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:45 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Nevada
THOR #27334
All of my 4 wheeled vehicles live outdoors 24x7, in the hot Nevada sun. Never covered a tire and never had to replace tires due to sun damage. I did have a cover on a trailer spare tire (came with the trailer), the cover died of sun damage before the tires showed any signs of aging.

YMMV.
widdershins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 02:03 AM   #17

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Post #15 ? Quoted from... strange.
Old 08-02-2022, 02:23 AM   #18
MLP

THOR #17478
I too use them when I store my RV and not at any other time.
Old 08-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I use tire covers whenever parked/stored for more than one night. It might take 5 minutes either to put on or take off. Sunlight and ozone will deteriorate rubber (please, no expert arguments). Also, when stored at home, on concrete and gravel, I cut 4 rubber mats from horse stall mats to park on. Over time, concrete/gravel will cause oils to leech out of the rubber sitting in one place. Anybody who has worked with retail tire displays knows of the shadow stacks of tires leave. So Scuba, get you some!
Old 08-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I use tire covers whenever parked/stored for more than one night. It might take 5 minutes either to put on or take off. Sunlight and ozone will deteriorate rubber (please, no expert arguments). Also, when stored at home, on concrete and gravel, I cut 4 rubber mats from horse stall mats to park on. Over time, concrete/gravel will cause oils to leech out of the rubber sitting in one place. Anybody who has worked with retail tire displays knows of the shadow stacks of tires leave. So Scuba, get you some!

Alright my good friend