Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Safe T plus, trak bar, and CHF

We have the 30.2 and installed a trak bar, safe T Plus and did the CHF. Drives much better, except in high winds. You can avoid getting pushed by 18 wheelers by pressing down on the gas when one is on close approach. Got that advice from this forum and it really works!!!

Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #102

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Texas
THOR #6917
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
We have the 30.2 and installed a trak bar, safe T Plus and did the CHF. Drives much better, except in high winds. You can avoid getting pushed by 18 wheelers by pressing down on the gas when one is on close approach. Got that advice from this forum and it really works!!!
That is so good to hear. Just took possession of our 30.2 on Friday and plan took it in for quote to do the same thing, plus an alignment.

Any other 30.2 pointers you have are greatly appreciated!
Ralph
Old 03-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #103

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
THOR #1287
Our 30.2

We have done a whole lot of simple mods to make our life easier. From adding an extendable wall mount drying rack in the shower to adding rolling storage drawers under the flip couch to adding a curtain and weight reinforcement to the electric bed. If you have Seiki TV's, and do not use satellite TV reception, replace them all--as you travel to high end campgrounds you will not get cable with the low end Seiki's. I bought my replacements on Black Friday sales, but this is model change over time now so you can get some good prices. I went with Samsung smart wifi TV's. PM me if you want some of the other things we have done to match our camping style.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #104
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph@miasmith.com
I see many installing Heavy Duty Sways with their Safe-T-Plus. Is no one trying the the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) by just adjusting existing sways? Would love to hear feedback.
thanks
Ralph
Take note of who is installing the sways and who isn't: The CHF is not available for E-Series chassis (Class-C units, Axis/Vegas units) and thus it may be those that are going for the upgraded sways.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:01 AM   #105

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6877
Will want to talk more when I get my vegas 24.1 in two weeks!
Old 03-29-2017, 02:11 AM   #106

THOR #6877
Vegas 24.1 E-350 v E/450

Still confused, now Thor 2018 Vegas 24.1 still with E-350 but previous versions with E-450 - did I get jipped? Still the V10...
Old 03-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #107

Model: Axis25.2
State: New York
THOR #17645
Nomad

Had safe t plus and hellwig sway bars installed at camping world last week then took axes 24.2 to ford for front end allinment, ford took off safe t plus told me they were put on backward, back to camping world they apologized and put back on, got to say I notice great improvement, only problem since had all three fixes done at same time not sure what was best
Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 AM   #108

THOR #6877
That's unforgivable of camping world - could have been dangerous!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 AM   #109

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Ask for your VIN number and then do a VIN check.... if there is a 3 in the right slot you have a E350.... if you have a 4... yep, you got an E450.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:18 AM   #110

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Real close to having SAF-T-PLUS installed. What's the opinions on this addition?
I had one installed...A great improvement. Reduces fatigue, I.proves feel of steering and handling in the wind.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #111

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by David urbanski View Post
Had safe t plus and hellwig sway bars installed at camping world last week then took axes 24.2 to ford for front end allinment, ford took off safe t plus told me they were put on backward, back to camping world they apologized and put back on, got to say I notice great improvement, only problem since had all three fixes done at same time not sure what was best
I have found that there are "good" CW stores and then there are a ton of "really bad" CW stores.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #112

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by croused View Post
Still confused, now Thor 2018 Vegas 24.1 still with E-350 but previous versions with E-450 - did I get jipped? Still the V10...
According to Ford stripped chassis specifications, there is almost no difference between the E-350 and E-450 except for the rear axle and rear springs, both designed and rated to carry a little more weight. The E-450 rear axle also happens to be a couple of inches wider, making the rear tires stick out beyond an Axis/Vegas body's sidewalls a slight amount. It's minimal, but easy to see if you have an eye for these kinds of automotive details.

Whether these minor axle and spring differences affect handling significantly one way or the other is hard to say. All Axis/Vegas motorhomes were initially built on E-350 and many are reportedly driven successfully without Safe-T-Plus, and some E-450s have been modified with addition of Safe-T-Plus.

The V10 is still the only available engine at this time, and is the same on both E-350 and E-450. It's the same 6R-140 transmission also.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #113

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by David urbanski View Post
Safe-T-Plus is manufactured outside of ATL. If you can get there, they will professionally install and road test until you are happy. Great folks. There is a Walmart nearby for your boondocking pleasure. Saved $200 compared to CW quote and hung out in the RV during the installation.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #114

THOR #6917
Which one?

So I cannot seem to find a comparison of the Safe-T-Plus and the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizers. Seems the Roadmaster is less expensive. Both had good reviews. Anyone have experience with both?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #115

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Virginia
THOR #6664
Just had Safe T Plus installed at CW. Can't say I noticed much difference on the drive home. Still wanders a bit and have to hold tight when a truck passes. Had an alignment done too (two days ago). Am I missing something?
Old 03-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #116

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
JM,,did you do the CHF,? I have no problems with control with trucks going by,and no wandering, did the CHF and ordered the SafeT plus for high winds, out west. they say it helps so I will see once installed.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:43 PM   #117

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felices30.2 View Post
So I cannot seem to find a comparison of the Safe-T-Plus and the Roadmaster Steering Stabilizers. Seems the Roadmaster is less expensive. Both had good reviews. Anyone have experience with both?
I've had both and the RSS was considerably easier to achieve precise center adjustment. Both had a similar off-center pull when traveling on secondary crowned roads. I like the dampening of the STP because it removed more of road feel in the steering wheel.

If I traveled freeway type surfaces, I'd buy the STP again over the RSS though for my less traveled road use, a non-centering stabilizer with heavy dampening is my preference.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:52 PM   #118

THOR #6917
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCreek View Post
I've had both and the RSS was considerably easier to achieve precise center adjustment. Both had a similar off-center pull when traveling on secondary crowned roads. I like the dampening of the STP because it removed more of road feel in the steering wheel.

If I traveled freeway type surfaces, I'd buy the STP again over the RSS though for my less traveled road use, a non-centering stabilizer with heavy dampening is my preference.
Most of my driving will be Interstate 10. Back and forth from San Antonio to El Paso and from San Antonio to Orlando Florida. Would you go the the RSS then?
Thanks for any feedback
Old 03-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #119

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felices30.2 View Post
Most of my driving will be Interstate 10. Back and forth from San Antonio to El Paso and from San Antonio to Orlando Florida. Would you go the the RSS then?
Thanks for any feedback
I'll try to explain or give more thoughts (opinions).

Personally, I'd buy the STP over any currently available center bias steering stabilizer option I know of for the Ford E series chassis. Other chassis may have alternate options.

Center bias IMO is only fit for freeways or similar road surfaces where center bias stays center. I don't spend much time on nice road surfaces like those so I found myself constantly fighting the center bias. If there was an in cab trim adjustment for the E or P chassis I probably would have kept them on the former rigs and if available, would consider one again for my current chassis.

Basically the real difference for me was heavier dampening (more road isolation) I experienced with the STP. It took a few special order attempts with other non-centering dampeners to find a similar level of isolation.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #120

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmccombe View Post
Just had Safe T Plus installed at CW. Can't say I noticed much difference on the drive home. Still wanders a bit and have to hold tight when a truck passes. Had an alignment done too (two days ago). Am I missing something?
Just curious - did you have the alignment checked prior to having it installed? I just put 2200 miles on my 35M after having the Safe T Plus installed, and I really enjoyed the driving experience with it.