Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
I need some help ordering Safe-t-plus. I want to order from Amazon. It lists Safe-t-plus 41-230. How can I be sure this is the one I need for a 2017 Axis 25.2?
Some have posted about needing to order Mounting Brkts. Again; how do I know which ones to order?

Old 02-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #62

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
Your Axis is built on a E-450 chassis , The Safe-T-Plus website lists the unit (for a 2016 E-450) as part # 31-140 and the install kit as part # E353K14.
I don't imagine the kit is different from 2016 to 2017 but a call to Saft-T-Steer would confirm that.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:43 PM   #63

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
In my 2016 Vegas, I did three things already:

1. front end alignment with at least 5 degrees of caster
2. Safe-T-Plus steering damper
3. heavy duty front and rear sway bars.

Shortly after, I took a 6000 mile cross country trip and it drove beautifully. The Safe-T-Plus eliminated the see-sawing in the steering and provided a lot of stability. The sway bars eliminated the roll and sway when turning or from passing trucks, etc. The alignment made it track straight and true, and the added caster tightened up the steering also.

My next project is going to be Sumo springs which reportedly will eliminate the "chunk" from bottoming out on hard bumps, and improve the ride.

We bought our coach more for traveling rather than camping, so we will be driving 20K miles a year or more and I am doing everything possible to enhance the ride and drive.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #64

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #6009
Considering Safe-t-Plus, I went to look at the suspension on the Axis. What's This? Sorry Pict is upside down. Double Click pict and it's OK.???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1912.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	3940  
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #65

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
Considering Safe-t-Plus, I went to look at the suspension on the Axis. What's This? Sorry Pict is upside down. Double Click pict and it's OK.???
I think that is the factory installed steering damper...it is much smaller and weaker than the Safe-T-Plus.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #66

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
Ordered my 41-230 and mount from Amazon for my '17 Challenger 27TB. Delivered by Sunday, will probably get it mounted next week.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #67

THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash557 View Post
Ordered my 41-230 and mount from Amazon for my '17 Challenger 27TB. Delivered by Sunday, will probably get it mounted next week.

Got the Sate-T-Plus yesterday, mounts arrive Monday. Anyone know what size the u-bolt nuts are on the F-53 used for the Challengers? Also looking for torque value for those nuts. Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:56 PM   #68

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Can't answer any of those bolt questions mash557, but keep us posted on your install and test drive. We are heading out but will be back in about 3 weeks and I am going to order and install my Safe-T then.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #69
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Don't know why the Axis is not on an E-450 chassis, which would probably give you more heavy duty springs, etc. Perhaps the E-450 is not available in a stripped chassis?

They are on E450 chassis starting mid 2016 and later.

Kev
Old 02-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #70

THOR #6162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Can't answer any of those bolt questions mash557, but keep us posted on your install and test drive. We are heading out but will be back in about 3 weeks and I am going to order and install my Safe-T then.

Well I got the mount kit Tuesday and the enclosed instructions said 240 ft lbs. tried to install on Wednesday and was going good right up until I tried to tighten up the Ubolt nuts. The mount would not seat on the axle correctly. After a call to manufacturer found out that some F53's need a slightly modified bracket which is a little narrower to clear and they shipped it straightaway. He said they have found a few with that issue and keeps a small stash of the modified ones ready to go. Great response from Safe-T-Plus.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:04 PM   #71
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Safe T Plus

Installed one on my Vegas and was very happy with the results. I followed up
later with the Sumo Springs. Both worked very well for me and driving was much more enjoyable.

Kev
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #72

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
I had a Safe-T-Plus installed on my MH after I got it.
Last summer while on Hwy 90 in Montana I had a side wall
blow out on the right front tire (factory tire problem).

The MH stayed straight while I slowed down and pulled over to
the side of the hwy.

Worth the $$ in my opinion.

Having taken a spare tire (unmounted) saved me tire since no
tire store I called carried the correct size tire in stock.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #73

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I just had the Safe-T-Plus installed on Wednesday. It does seem to have helped the steering on the Axis. It isn't perfect, but it is better. I do have to say that most of my trip home was on I-285 around Atlanta. That is not a real good sample of how well it's going to handle on interstate highway. 285 is never in great condition!

If you'd ask me if it has corrected all of the issues, I would say no. But, I'm getting a crash course in suspension and steering mechanisms. I'm moving up from a Itasca Reyo. It is based on a Sprinter chassis. The Sprinters have rack and pinion steering and independent front suspension. So, I'm not sure that I can ever get to that level of comfort and ease of driving in the Axis.

I think that the next upgrade will be to the sway bars. However, that will have to wait until we get out to Utah. Just don't have time to deal with that before we have to leave.

Thanks to this forum (and it's participants), I knew what I was getting in to with the Axis before we bought it.

BTW, I got it installed at the factory in Austell, GA. I'm local, so it wasn't a very long drive. If you buy it from them, they will install it for free. It was about $100 more than what I could get the parts from Amazon. I figured we would eat up that $100 savings by having anyone else do the install. And, I'm pretty sure that no one else would know better than them on how to install it and configure it. It took about 45 minutes for them to install it and less than 30 minutes to do the road test and adjustments.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 PM   #74

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post

....cut....

If you'd ask me if it has corrected all of the issues, I would say no. But, I'm getting a crash course in suspension and steering mechanisms. I'm moving up from a Itasca Reyo. It is based on a Sprinter chassis. The Sprinters have rack and pinion steering and independent front suspension. So, I'm not sure that I can ever get to that level of comfort and ease of driving in the Axis.

....cut.....
If you don't mind me asking, what about the Reyo did you not like in order to consider an Axis/Vegas a move up?

Reyo seem to be designed and built to a higher standard; although not having owned a Reyo my assumption may be completely wrong. I know they are a little smaller than an Axis/Vegas, but is there more to owning one that wouldn't be obvious to a prospective buyer?
Old 02-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #75
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Note that the Reyo 25T model is nearly identical to the Axis/Vegas 24.1 (almost in every dimension!).

(The 25Q would make a great Axis/Vegas model--of course, though, it has 2 slides.)

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...eyo/floorplans
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:30 PM   #76

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
<BTW, I got it installed at the factory in Austell, GA. I'm local, so it wasn't a very long drive. If you buy it from them, they will install it for free. It was about $100 more than what I could get the parts from Amazon. I figured we would eat up that $100 savings by having anyone else do the install. And, I'm pretty sure that no one else would know better than them on how to install it and configure it.>

Your right you saved money by having the factory do the install.
I bought mine from PPL motorhomes in Houston and paid CW about
$300 in labor to install it, this was in 2015.

I bought my rear trac bar setup from the factory and paid the Ford dealer
too much money to install that.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 PM   #77

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Note that the Reyo 25T model is nearly identical to the Axis/Vegas 24.1 (almost in every dimension!).

(The 25Q would make a great Axis/Vegas model--of course, though, it has 2 slides.)

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...eyo/floorplans

Like this one?

2011 Reyo Diesel 25Q for Sale - D759 - PPL Motor Homes

Funny you should mention the 25Q. For a 6-year-old it's much more expensive than an equivalent Axis. They start out more expensive, but seem to hold their value fairly well.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #78

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what about the Reyo did you not like in order to consider an Axis/Vegas a move up?

Reyo seem to be designed and built to a higher standard; although not having owned a Reyo my assumption may be completely wrong. I know they are a little smaller than an Axis/Vegas, but is there more to owning one that wouldn't be obvious to a prospective buyer?
The Reyo was built to a higher standard. Mostly, it was just little things. Like there was a wet bay where all of the plumbing controls and drains were located. The fridge was 120v, 12v, and propane. And (as I have just learned) the rack and pinion steering and the independent suspension.

We had the 25T layout--and yes, it is practically identical to the Axis 24.1 layout. It was a very good RV and it was perfect when we bought it. We were in the process of setting up a second home out in Utah when we got it. The cavernous storage area under the bed was exactly what we needed. Many trips were taken with that area filled completely up. We've even had furniture in it!

However, as the stuff was equalized between the two houses, we didn't need the extra cargo space and wanted the space inside the coach. The other issue was that the beds were boxed in by cabinets and the bathroom. We found that the not quite full length beds were just not that comfortable. So, the larger bed in the Axis 25.2 was one of the main reasons for the upgrade.

It also didn't help that the Reyo was a 2012 and we had an issue with the engine. The pressure regulator went out while we were out in Utah. The only people who could fix it was a Mercedes dealership. The closest one to the house in Utah was 250 miles away. Luckily, roadside assistance covered the $1300 towing bill and pressure regulator was covered under warranty through Mercedes. That will be much less of an issue with a Ford based chassis.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #79

THOR #2121
BSexton, thanks much for feedback. It is greatly appreciated. We like the 25T floorplan best because it's much like the Axis 24.1, but have stayed away for the very reasons you mention. While I expect a Mercedes to drive and handle better than most, the Diesel engine reliability and repair costs are a concern. Lack of service centers/dealers compared to Ford has also been a concern of mine -- we drive a lot. The Reyo is a nice size motorhome for a couple wanting a little more room than a Class B can offer, yet with exceptional fuel economy. Most owner reports I've seen put fuel economy around 16 to 17 MPG. That's hard to beat.

OK, back to steering dampers.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:10 AM   #80
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Like this one?
Yeah: Except: I don't like the way the kitchen sink is boxed in by the pantry and the refer. Didn't notice that on the floorplan. Would have been much nicer to have the same arrangement as our 24.1: Sink on the left, refer in the middle, and closet on the right--that opens up that area a lot more. It doesn't look that bad on the floorplan but in the pics (#10 of 11 at the link you provided) it looks really cramped.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote