Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #4193
Safe-T-Plus

On 11/01/16 we ordered a Safe-T-Plus for our motor home. Today we went to CW for the install. After 1 1/2 hours the service manager tells us they can’t get the mounting kit to fit. He had called Safe-T-Plus and was told he had the right kit (I was there when he called Safe-T-Plus and gave them the VIN from my registration.) Safe-T-Plus went on to say it would have to be a custom install, but CW can’t/won’t do that.

Any recommendations for a way to get this done or another steering damper?

Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I think they are in Atlanta, and my understanding is that they do installs for free with purchase.
Are you anywhere close?
Old 11-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Get a hold of Saf-T-Plus yourself. When I had mine installed they recommended about 3 company's that could install it close to me and we are in a small market.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
There has to be a reason it would not fit. I agree with KNMIB, call Safe-T yourself and talk to one of their tech folks. There has to be a reason for this not being an easy 45 minute install, possibly:
1) CW used wrong information from your coach for ordering install kit.
2) Install kit packaged wrong from factory.
3) There has been some other type of front end modification or addition to your unit.

Even though we haven't installed ours yet, I have heard nothing but positive comments from folks reference support from Safe-T.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 AM   #5

THOR #4193
I’m going to give Safe-T-Plus a call on Monday. We’re near Gaffney, SC so their shop is about 4 hours south.

There was a question on the axle type with Safe-T-Plus so the service manager at CW called Ford with the VIN to verify the axle and passed that on to Safe-T-Plus.

I guess I’ll find out on Monday. Maybe there is another installer nearby.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

THOR #4193
We went to the Safe-T-Plus shop in Austell, GA on 12/28. They installed the unit in less than an hour with the recommended brackets. There were no problems, they don’t know why CW couldn’t do it.

After the install the tech went with me for a road test on secondary roads. He made one adjustment then we went onto I-20 for a longer road test at my normal driving speed. That short road test made a believer out of me.

Also, as blw2 stated, there was no charge for the install.

We stayed the night in their lot along with a couple in a Class A getting a Safe-T-Plus installed the next morning.

Our thoughts about the Safe-T-Plus:
We both drive the RV and we went about 350 miles from Austell, GA to the Alabama Gulf area with a 2 day stop near Montgomery, AL. We had bad weather the first day so we had to drive in various conditions on our way south – heavy rain, wind, sunny and dry, on highways and secondary roads and some areas of heavy traffic. There is no more fighting to stay in lane even with uneven pavement, potholes or being passed by semis.

The company is a pleasure to deal with, from the CEO to the techs.

We both feel that the Safe-T-Plus is a worthwhile investment for us, worth the cost.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Camping World

We have the Saf-T-Plus RTC stabilizer on our 2016 Axis 24.1 and I do not regret the investment. I am not a fan of CW based on my visits there and what I read on this forum. I suggest you find a privately owned RV service and repair center. I feel pretty lucky that we have such a place close to where we live.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Bill/Kathy I agree with you 100%, it is a great add on.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #9

THOR #5246
Bill/Kathy, thanks so much for the update. We haven't ordered ours yet and still trying to decide if we should install ourselves or arrange a visit to the factory. It is great to read about your first hand experience with Safe-T and the handling results.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 AM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I just received mine in the mail yesterday and installed it today. It was pretty straight forward but you need the right tools. For me, I have a 2017 Ford F-53 24K lbs chassis so I needed 1 1/8 deep socket wrench, 1 1/8 open wrench, 3/8 torque wrench up to 100 lbs, 1/2 torque wrench up to 300 lbs, 9/16 deep socket, some patience, lots of muscle, and a couple of bad words.

Safe T Plus has a great install and road test video but double check your specific install instructions as some things will changed based on chassis size and year.

I have yet to do the road test but have researched steering stabilizers for almost the last year and the main reason I decided on Safe T Plus is because of the lifetime warranty unlike the others.

I am still so confused why CW can't install unless they ordered the wrong installation kit for the chassis.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:39 AM   #11

THOR #4193
I don’t understand what the problem was with CW. According to our copy of the CW work order and our receipt from Safe-T-Plus the control unit and the mounting kit had the same part numbers.

I would like to think it’s a problem with the one location. I went to them because the tech that repaired our slide was great.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

THOR #5246
Techn0, looks like I will order and install. My buddy only lives a miles away and has a great concrete slab behind his home. We used it for doing my CHF. Between the two of us we have every tool known to man, plus at about 280 and 6'2" what I have lost in muscle he makes up for!

Please post after road test and any adjustments. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Great info Techno - thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
I live about 4 hours away from Austell. Do you need to purchase the Safe T plus from them for install or bring your own?
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 31E
State: Georgia
THOR #5047
Double post
Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 PM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw1gator View Post
I live about 4 hours away from Austell. Do you need to purchase the Safe T plus from them for install or bring your own?
I would give them a call. I imagine they have everything you need since everything ships from that location but always good to follow up with a phone call to verify.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:03 AM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
I am a big fan of the Safe-T-Plus after my 900 mile drive down Baja. Narrow roads, pots holes, no shoulder and big trucks left no room for error. Not a fun drive, but would have been much tougher without the steering stabilizer.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:56 AM   #18

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
We had CW order the Safe-t-plus and install. CW told me that they had a previous RV with same install and had to use a different connector than recommended. It worked and we were out in about the same amount of time as you. CW in New Braunfels TX (San Antonio). Pleased with safe-t-plus and installation.

machlin
Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 AM   #19

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
So far, I've had pretty good luck with my local CW, Tacoma, Wa. They have installed several items, Safe-T-Plus, DIRECTV Sat system, Dirt Devil Vac to name a few. All work was done right the first time, with no complaints. Guess I've been lucky, seems like it may be hit and miss with CW stores!!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #20

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Safe-T-Plus

I just installed a Safe-T-Plus today, then drove 180 miles. I also added front and rear heavy-duty sway bars, and had the front end aligned. The before/after difference was remarkable. Steering response much better and "wander" greatly reduced by the STP, and the body roll and sway was practically eliminated by the new bars. The coach has only 800 miles, but the camber and toe were both out...as many recommend on this forum, an alignment should be done as early as possible.