Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #18965
Safe-t-plus Steering Stabilizer

Has anyone upgraded/replaced their Safe-t-plus Steering Stabilizer?

We have only owned our 2018 31s Windsport for a couple of months and we have put just under 1,000 miles on it and want to upgrade the suspension. I am sick of being tossed around by semis. I started to do my research and after I reviewed some of the previous threads on this forum I decided to do the following, in this order, over time: front end alignment, chf, rear sway bar, steering stabilizer. Once done I would see how things are and see if we need to do a front sway bar and/or sumo springs.

I went to the storage facility this weekend to look over my undercarriage to look over the work area and I noticed I already have a steering stabilizer installed. I am not sure if it was installed by the prior owner of came from Thor installed. Now I am wondering if it is worth looking at upgrading this part. Has anyone replaced this and if so, was it worth it or I am better off skipping upgrading it for now and go with a front sway bar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200811_112023.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	25522  

Old 08-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm staying out of the stabilizers vs recentering device vs damper thing.

But
Here's how to get pictures to post in the orientation you wanted them to.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...ays-20421.html

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey&Reina View Post
Has anyone upgraded/replaced their Safe-t-plus Steering Stabilizer?

We have only owned our 2018 31s Windsport for a couple of months and we have put just under 1,000 miles on it and want to upgrade the suspension. I am sick of being tossed around by semis. I started to do my research and after I reviewed some of the previous threads on this forum I decided to do the following, in this order, over time: front end alignment, chf, rear sway bar, steering stabilizer. Once done I would see how things are and see if we need to do a front sway bar and/or sumo springs.

I went to the storage facility this weekend to look over my undercarriage to look over the work area and I noticed I already have a steering stabilizer installed. I am not sure if it was installed by the prior owner of came from Thor installed. Now I am wondering if it is worth looking at upgrading this part. Has anyone replaced this and if so, was it worth it or I am better off skipping upgrading it for now and go with a front sway bar?
Personally I feel a steering stabilizer is a waste of money. If the coach has had an alignment checked, the coach weighed and the tire pressures adjusted, it steers well. Now, the sway was way to much for me, so I installed Sumo Maxums front and rear. To my surprise, they worked as advertised. My thoughts are, the coach is always near at max weight 18,000 lbs; so when hitting a big bump, the coach was hitting the hard bump stops (front and rear). Adding to the spring rate, softened the blow, so the coach seems to ride much softer. The Sumos also reduced the sway considerably. I noticed when towing the dolly, I could feel it pull on the rear of the coach adding some instability to the coach on the winding Hill Country roads. I added a rear track bar to cure that problem. 28,000 miles later the coach's handling suits me, Just remember you have a short wheel base coach with a long rear overhang, so it is easy to overload the rear axle. Try to keep all the movable weight in between the axles by putting the bulky light items in the basement compartments that are behind the rear axle and not storing anything heavy in the bedroom. If the front end seems to wander, you can travel with the water and propane tanks full (assuming you don't overload the coach). This really helps on a windy day (35 mph crosswinds with higher gust are common is south Texas). Good luck, I think you have the best coach designed by the Thor MC plant 750 design crew. Well maybe the 34P was just as good.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
CHF front and rear and rear track bar stopped the semi push for me

Imo the safe t plus only tightens up the steering, which is good, but doesn't help the semi push

I'd do the chf before buying now sway bars. Use the sway bar money for rear track bar

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Well...you made out.
The previous owner of your rig paid $650 (DIY)-1,000 (Installed) for that Mod.
And, it is an improvement over the Ford OEM steering damper.

If I was you, I'd still consider some of the fixes that you listed above, starting with the CHF and an alignment.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Well...you made out.
The previous owner of your rig paid $650 (DIY)-1,000 (Installed) for that Mod.
And, it is an improvement over the Ford OEM steering damper.

If I was you, I'd still consider some of the fixes that you listed above, starting with the CHF and an alignment.
Ford nor MorRide installs a steering dampener on the F-53 stripped Ford RV chassis assembled by Detroit Chassis.
<https://www.detroitchassis.com/products/rolling-chassis/>
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote