Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Utah
THOR #3257
Winegard system

We had the Winegard installed before we picked up our Chateau and opted for the "on the move" model. So far it works great and we have had no issues. Had a Winegard on our 5th wheel and it also was a top quality product.

I would recommend, just make sure you have it installed by a company that does tons of them and knows what they are doing.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM   #22

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
So. Does anybody here have issues when setting up your receiver? After of not using the dish receiver for three or four weeks I am prompted to call the dish network to acquire a signal. That was frustrating, but now we moved the receiver in our garage and tailgater in back of the garage for a reception. Just one more thing to pack when we use our MH.
Old 03-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #23

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
DirecTV hookup

I have a 2016 27.1 a c e can I hook up the portable satellite to the TV connection on the outside of the RV?
Old 03-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #24

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
generally, no, it's designed for CABLE tv, not satellite 'powered' signals...

run your portable coax antenna output directly to your receiver
Old 03-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #25

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
So. Does anybody here have issues when setting up your receiver? After of not using the dish receiver for three or four weeks I am prompted to call the dish network to acquire a signal. That was frustrating, but now we moved the receiver in our garage and tailgater in back of the garage for a reception. Just one more thing to pack when we use our MH.
DISH disconnects 'unused' receivers after some timeframe, usually several weeks of non-use. Their app, though, provides a way to 'wake up' your receiver will the simple press of a button on the app, under the 'outdoors' section... You may can also do this on your website for your account, under 'support'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:59 PM   #26

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2020, 03:11 PM   #27

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by echuck66 View Post
Is it possible to watch different channels on separate tvs at the same time?

It seems that Dish uses multiple satellites for different channels, and with the dome dishes, it has to reposition itself to reach different channels.

I'm not too concerned with SD vs HD, so I'm ok with DirecTV. I just want to be able to watch our shows, or a ball game, while the kids might want to watch a movie or some kids show.
YES, but there is some limitations if you are referring to using a PORTABLE antenna to do this, since it has only a SINGLE 'lnb'(eyeball) to view the three satellites that channels reside on... The lnb does NOT always have to 'move' to another satellite just because you change channels, but only when that new channel resides on a different satellite. There are PLENTY of channels that reside on the same satellite, such as most of the HD versions of channels, on satellite 129.
With DIRECT TV, though, they don't offer HD channels on ANY of their portable antennas, which is why many RVrs choose DISH - when you've watched HD channels, it's not easy to 'go back' to watching SD. With smaller TVs you might not notice as much, but with the larger TVs, it's pretty evident, and MUCH clearer, especially for us with 'older' eyes!

To watch differing 'channels', on two different TVs, with a Portable antenna, and both TVs with their own receiver, you will have a 'MAIN' receiver that can receive all 3 satellites, while the 'SECONDARY' receiver will only have the ability to see ONE satellite - that's how the 'secondary' coax output from the antenna works - it 'piggy backs' from the Main receiver when it has initially acquired it's signal. That satellite that the Main receiver is viewing when the secondary receiver is programmed will determine which satellite the secondary receiver will be able to see channels from. Confusing, but here's a quick and easy way to find out what to do:
When you have your MAIN receiver programmed, find the channel that the other TV might most want to be able to view. Leave the Main receiver on this channel while you THEN program the secondary receiver. When it's complete, you'll see that it will ONLY show channels that reside on that satellite. The list of channels will be what the secondary TV will be able to view.
Now, while the secondary TV is viewing it's channels, make sure that the Main receiver stay on a channel which resides on that same satellite. The antenna will not have to 'move', and therefore the secondary receiver and TV will be able to continue seeing their channel(s), and the Main receiver and TV will be able to see their own channels, all on the same satellite. Sat 129 is probably the best in this situation.
What IF the main receiver changes to a channel that resides on a differing satellite? Well, the main TV will still be able to view any channel it wishes, but the secondary TV might then see the 'error: this channel is not available' blue screen message. The simple way to correct this is to change the main receiver back to a channel that resides on the original satellite.

O.k., I suppose that's all muddy now, but once you do this a time or two, you'll start to understand the relationship of the two receivers, and the antenna, and be able to best manage it for your family's situation.

The other option, an optimal one, is to actually have TWO separate portable antennas, if you REALLY want to have the capability of two tvs seeing ALL the channels they wish.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
I have a 2016 27.1 a c e can I hook up the portable satellite to the TV connection on the outside of the RV?
Not usually, unless you replace the splitter in the RG-6 cable in your coach. All sat antennas require DC power from the receiver to power the low power block down converter (LNB) on the antenna and the splitter that is installed in most coaches will not pass direct current. Thus the splitter must be changed to use a carry out antenna.

All carry-our antennas (dishes) can only receive signals one satellite at a time. This is not a problem with DirecTV as they only transmit the Ku SD signals from sat D-9s. Dish does transmit SD and HD from six different satellites all located in different parts of the sky all on the Ku frequency band.

To receive the HD and 4K signals from DirecTV on the Ka frequency band (11 different satellites in three different galaxies) you will have to use a Slimline II antenna and associated LNB (fixed or portable). This allows you to receive all 450+ channels simultaneously. The genie II (HS-17) receiver can receive 11 different signals with 7 being recorded and four more being decoded and transmitted wireless to different TV sets. As of now there is not carry-out sat antenna that can receive DirecTV's HD and 4K channels.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:43 PM   #29

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I installed the Winegard swm3 dish on the roof on the last two RV's I had. It only connects to Direct, but is HD, though is not an in-motion system. Its fully automatic, when you park, push a button, it finds the 3 satellites necessary for HD. For connections, there is the coax cable from the dish to the Direct Box, then an HDMI cable to each set you want connected. This connections, means all TV's will be on the same channel, but one way around that, is you can always use one or more TV's on the antennae, for local channels. IMO this worked very well, we never had a problem with any of it.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #30

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Before we took possession of our ACE I had the dealer add a second coaxial input next to the factory-installed one that goes to the bedroom TV. That allows us to use the 2 outputs from our Winegard Carryout to run different programs (using 2 receivers) on each TV. We have Direct and don’t mind that it’s not HD. However, there are rumors that Direct is doing away with their SD satellites so you’ll have to get a specific HD box and change the settings on it to play nice with the Direct satellites. We’ve run with this setup for the 5 years we’ve owned our rig and it works well for us.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
Before we took possession of our ACE I had the dealer add a second coaxial input next to the factory-installed one that goes to the bedroom TV. That allows us to use the 2 outputs from our Winegard Carryout to run different programs (using 2 receivers) on each TV. We have Direct and don’t mind that it’s not HD. However, there are rumors that Direct is doing away with their SD satellites so you’ll have to get a specific HD box and change the settings on it to play nice with the Direct satellites. We’ve run with this setup for the 5 years we’ve owned our rig and it works well for us.
There is a misconception (rumor) about DirecTV (ATT) doing away with SD transitions. What ATT stated is that the D-4 satellite would be decommissioned (launched in 2001) in November 2019 and ATT would cease all SD transmission using the MPEG-2 compression algorithm. ATT sat D-9s has been in the 101degree orbit since 2004 as a spare for D-4 and would be able to continue all Ku band SD transmissions at least to 2025, however the SD transmissions would the MPEG-4 compression algorithm. All DirecTV receivers with numbers 15 or greater can decode the MPEG-4 algorithm.

ATT has 11 operational satellites in four different orbits. All sats are hybrid models and are capable of transmitting SD Ku signals, but ATT only owns the right to transmit SD signals at the 101 and 110 orbits. ATT owns all Ka band frequencies in the 95 to 110 orbits as well as the reverse band frequencies at the 99, 101 and 103 orbits so that is where most of the sat are clustered in galaxies.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 04:13 PM   #32

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I installed the Winegard swm3 dish on the roof on the last two RV's I had. It only connects to Direct, but is HD, though is not an in-motion system. Its fully automatic, when you park, push a button, it finds the 3 satellites necessary for HD. For connections, there is the coax cable from the dish to the Direct Box, then an HDMI cable to each set you want connected. This connections, means all TV's will be on the same channel, but one way around that, is you can always use one or more TV's on the antennae, for local channels. IMO this worked very well, we never had a problem with any of it.
I recently roof-mounted a Winegard G3 & added DISH Wally in my RV.
Now, although the Winegard supports two Wally’s, I chose to have just the 1 Wally & connect the main HDMI to a 3-way HDMI splitter.
Then those 6’, 12’ & 25’ HDMI cables were routed thru walls and cabinets to the 3 Seiki TVs.
So, in this set-up...all three TVs see the same DISH satellite channel.
But, like you said...you can use one or more TVs on the antenna for local channels (or wired for a separate DVR at each TV location).

By the way...in my home I just switched from ATT Uverse to DISH. And I just love the DISH features, makes ATT look vintage old-school.
Plus, I save about $40/mo with more programming.

The Winegard G3 works great, and has a 20% larger dish than previous models.
And, if the channel I change to is on a different satellite...the delay is less than 2-3 seconds for a perfectly clear HD image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6CF7D0B-F64A-4023-857A-9C0268F908CD.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	23233  
Old 04-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #33

Model: Ace 2015 30.1
THOR #8978
Nice looking rig!
Old 04-10-2020, 06:42 PM   #34

THOR #13362
Here’s a few more photos of my Winegard G3 & DISH Wally install:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA58F75D-4662-44F6-ACCB-8259A44495A0.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	23240   Click image for larger version

Name:	805E97D5-4C2F-4A2A-A92C-08BD0B38AA5F.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	23241  

Name:	8E23A868-61DA-4EA8-901A-B16E2AD12D03.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	23242  
Old 04-11-2020, 02:51 AM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #9242
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Here’s a few more photos of my Winegard G3 & DISH Wally install:
Could you post the details how you installed the g3 to the roof? Getting ready to do this myself.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2020, 03:46 AM   #36

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy71 View Post
Could you post the details how you installed the g3 to the roof? Getting ready to do this myself.
Thanks
All the details are in this thread, page 2
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...as-1157-2.html

Basically, used marine Starboard, like plastic cutting board. Fastened the mounting hardware to the Starboard.
Then used Sikaflex adhesive and a couple of small screws thru the Fiberglass area of the roof. By using the adhesive you are able to limit the number of penetrations into the roof. (I used same adhesive for my drill-less solar mounts)

Here’s a photo of the dish with the dome removed, but you can see how it’s fastened to the Starboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37E08EC5-B8F8-4BA6-AB31-C2603AC09F83.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	23248   Click image for larger version

Name:	1469A6FE-A8F4-4914-8B66-ACF0FADC4D0C.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	23249  

Old 04-12-2020, 01:40 AM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #9242
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
All the details are in this thread, page 2
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...as-1157-2.html

Basically, used marine Starboard, like plastic cutting board. Fastened the mounting hardware to the Starboard.
Then used Sikaflex adhesive and a couple of small screws thru the Fiberglass area of the roof. By using the adhesive you are able to limit the number of penetrations into the roof. (I used same adhesive for my drill-less solar mounts)

Here’s a photo of the dish with the dome removed, but you can see how it’s fastened to the Starboard.
Thank you
Old 04-12-2020, 12:03 PM   #38

THOR #4735
the 'truth' about Satellite TV is this:

- each TV needs it's OWN Receiver, to watch ALL of it's 'own' channels
- each Receiver needs it's OWN satellite Antenna, especially if you are wanting to make use of easy-to-use automatically acquiring PORTABLE models, like the KingTailgater or the DishPlaymaker, which are small and light and easy to place/move/mount/store.
- each TV needs it's own HDMI cable from the Receiver, IF you want to watch any HD channels

now, of course, most folks don't have 3 satellite Antennas for their 3 TVs, and some don't even have 3 Receivers for their 3 TVs, as there ARE ways to watch differing channels on different TVs without it, and it can be done, but ultimately the way I've described it initially is the only TRUE way to do it. Here's a way, though, you can try:

Some portable antennas, like the KingTailgater2 or Pro models, have TWO coax signal outputs. While each TV still needs it's own Receiver, two TVs 'can' share the same portable antenna, but with a slight 'twist'. The PRIMARY output, which goes to the primary TV receiver of your choice, say the BEDROOM, will be the receiver that can access ANY of the available channels, on ANY of the available satellites(normally there are 3, each with their own set of channels, either in SD, HD, or a mixture). The 'secondary' TV Receiver, though, will ONLY see channels on the primary receivers INITIAL satellite that it was programmed to, such as satellite 110. While this is acceptable to many folks who know what channels they can watch on the secondary TV, though many in SD, some will find this slightly annoying.
What can you do to create a better 'all channels for all satellites' for two different TVs?

Well, you can get TWO portable satellite antennas, as I originally described, of course, OR you can use a simple A/B switch.
The switch simply allows you to 'switch' which TV Receiver uses the 'MAIN' output of the portable antenna, giving EITHER TV the ability to see ALL channels available. To do this you simply run the portable Antenna's coax cable to the 'input' of the A/B switch(the middle of three coax ports), and use the other two as outputs to the Receivers. Now, you can setup each TV Receiver just like you would if each had it's own antenna, acquiring the satellites, allowing the 'programming' to take place, then using the switch to the one you are watching - such as the LIVING ROOM receiver during the day, and then the BEDROOM receiver during the night.

What can you do about that 'third' TV, especially the one 'OUTSIDE'?
Well, outside of it's own antenna, you can also add it as a third Receiver via ANOTHER additional A/B switch, coming from one of the other TV Receivers.

Now, is there a way to 'mirror' the output of a TV without going thru all of this 'multiple antennas' or 'A/B switch' option? YES.
Some receivers, like the Dish VIP211k, have a 'TV OUTPUT', which allows you to use a coax cable from that to another TV, maybe the OUTSIDE TV, so that it can view satellite channels, though WITHOUT it's own receiver. You could do this from the LIVING ROOM receiver, giving the outside TV it's own satellite channels, using the remote from the living room to change the living room receiver to see different channels on both.
The input to the Outside TV would likely need to be set to 'cable' so that it will see this signal from the other tv output.

There are ways to do differing things with satellite tv, but it may take a little experience for a while to 'get' what all is happening and to be able to then modify it for your needs.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:36 PM   #39

THOR #13362
Thank you TurnerFam for your knowledge on Sat TV.
Everything you said seems correct & provides the detail on “how-to” for the RV.

You didn’t discuss the SK-1000-HD Traveler.
At $1500 (+/-), this 45# roof mount monster does it all, just like the roof mount dish on your home.

It can accommodate 3 receivers (3 coax outputs) each receiving all three satellites at the same time. Thus, all receivers perform like the “main” receiver on a dome-type model. Actually better, because there’s no delays.

Plus, it accommodates the Hopper 3 which is the newest technology in DISH offering 4-way split screen, a huge DVR that “Hops” over commercials, voice command and many other high tech features.

So for those who want it all in their 45’ DP (or their 20’ Class B)...this is the answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	079C19E8-6CC9-444C-BD75-5B00C1761A46.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	23264   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD6197E0-7576-4D1A-922A-176E31DA2DFF.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	23265  

Old 04-14-2020, 02:34 AM   #40

State: Florida
THOR #15940
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
Yes , we keep our Miramar in a garage and the Dish Receivers loose their minds (programing) and I have to call Dish to get them reactivated every time. Then it takes theme quite a bit of time to get the guide , time and date correct. It's a pain.