Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4634
Satellite TV for the RV

Hi all,

We are seriously considering purchasing a new 2017 Thor Challenger 37tb in the next few months and have many questions, one of which is what options are available for TV on-the-move... I see mixed reviews for different systems, but one that stands out as a very popular brand is the Winegard systems with either Directv or Dish network.

Can someone explain how these systems connect to the TVs in the RV? Specifically, will we need a receiver for each TV in the RV if we wish to watch TV on them? How does this work with the TV on the outside of the RV? (where do you locate the receiver and how do you change channels while viewing the TV outside?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie

Old 06-27-2016, 01:14 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Satellite TV is fairly straight forward. The best picture uses the HDMI box above the large screen TV in the living room and the HDMI into each of the other TVs. Getting the signal into the HDMI box can get a bit trickier. I have put a couple of other threads up on this. Here is a link: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...37tb-1449.html.

I upgraded to the Tailgater to and had installed permanently on the roof. Works great.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

Model: Challenger LX
State: Colorado
THOR #3922
Satellite TV

Charlie,

Another hint for you: I recently purchased one the Direct TV HD tripod systems from Oasis. After setting it up at home and testing it on my home system, I found the dish was not compatible with my newer Direct TV receiver (model HR44). The Oasis systems are compatible with older "legacy" receivers. However, I set up a technician call with Direct TV. The technician put in a new LNB and hooked a SWM adapter into the line - all at no cost! It now works beautifully on my home system, and won't require any mods when I move it to the RV. Cost for the system: $149. Now, I will have to point the antenna manually, but the technician also provided me with the name of the app he uses on his cell phone to find a clear viewing spot (Dishpointer Pro; $19.99), so that will save me a lot of time.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I kind of like the tailgater not mounted on top only less than 10 pounds I can move it anywhere, that is if you are parked under some trees, you wont get any service.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

THOR #1020
sikoriko - when we first went with Dish we bought the original Tailgater. I had the opportunity to get the new Tailgater 2 for a great price and went with it just in case I wanted to permanently mount my antenna. Then I had the opportunity to get the antenna mounted for free. Thought it through and decided to have it mounted. Reasoning went something like this - in the 2 years we've had the Tailgater we have not moved the antenna out from under trees or other overhead obstruction to get a signal one time. Easy call - mounted the Dish. Note: any time we've been obstructed moving the Dish 100 feet in any direction wasn't going to help much. And most times there was cable TV available.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:20 AM   #6

Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
When using my original Tailgater, I have to point it to the south sky. With your Tailgater 2 mounted, I assume that pointing is not a concern now?

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:27 AM   #7

THOR #1020
Nope. I had a DIY for our ladder. Worked very well. Nice now though - hookup electric, water and sewer. Go inside and turn on the dish - done.

PS: most times I ask for a satellite TV friendly site and I call Dish ahead to change service address.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
You must have a better dish receiver then I do. even the smallest object will disrupt my signal
Old 06-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
New portable swm dish from direct is supposed to pick up in wooded lot
Old 06-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #10

THOR #1020
That may be. From experience, if I had trouble mounted on the rear ladder, I had trouble from anywhere. Haven't had any issues with the new Tailgater at all. King might have improved the antenna.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
You must have a better dish receiver then I do. even the smallest object will disrupt my signal
This must be pretty common with the Tailgater. Mine is the same way. Can't have the slightest limb or obstruction between it and the satellites or it won't pick up the signal/s.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

State: Wisconsin
THOR #2584
FYI: there is a wireless HDMI system out there which eliminates the very long HDMI cord. I researched it on the web and found a system that works great. We use the Dish system. Only problem I have with it is it takes a while to get working again after its been shut off for a while. I typically turn it on the day before we leave to allow it to updates
Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 AM   #13

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Ohio
THOR #4090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
New portable swm dish from direct is supposed to pick up in wooded lot

Just did a quick Google search and didn't see anything. Could you explain more please. We would love to have a more portable unit than the Slimline 3
Old 06-30-2016, 02:36 AM   #14

THOR #4634
Is it possible to watch different channels on separate tvs at the same time?

It seems that Dish uses multiple satellites for different channels, and with the dome dishes, it has to reposition itself to reach different channels.

I'm not too concerned with SD vs HD, so I'm ok with DirecTV. I just want to be able to watch our shows, or a ball game, while the kids might want to watch a movie or some kids show.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:38 AM   #15

THOR #4634
I'm also curious whether you need to have the tuner/ receiver at the tv. Not sure what is meant by an HDMI box. Is that standard with the coach and video goes from there to all the TVs?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #16

THOR #2584
the wireless DVD I use is:

DVDO Air 3C. you can google that
Old 06-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #17

THOR #2584
Sorry I meant

The Wireless HDMI I use is :

DVDO Air 3C
Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #18

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by echuck66 View Post
Is it possible to watch different channels on separate tvs at the same time?

I'm not too concerned with SD vs HD, so I'm ok with DirecTV. I just want to be able to watch our shows, or a ball game, while the kids might want to watch a movie or some kids show.
Before we took possession of our ACE I had the dealer add a second input on the outside of our rig. I told them that I didn't want the TVs connected to each other -- that they needed to be operated separately. I was VERY specific that both TVs needed to operate independently, and they were able to do what I wanted.

When we use our Winegard to get satellite (Direct), we hook up 2 cables from the Carryout into the rig, and each TV has its own Direct receiver -- the "old" ones -- not HD. Works like a charm! When we choose to use a park's cable system, I hook a splitter up from the pedestal so that I can get a signal to both TVs. Either way, both TVs operate independently from one another.

If you want your TVs to run separately, BEFORE you take possession of your rig, have the dealer do the work. If they can't/won't, then don't sign.

And the older SD boxes can still be purchased. You'll have to get them activated, but it's not hard. Even though I have an HD receiver in my house, I've kept 2 SD boxes in my guest bedroom & office.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #19

THOR #4634
Thanks. That's very helpful.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #20

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
direct tv

Dtv just left after setting up my swim setup that he brought with him. Outside coax goes to Sam dish. Main receiver connects to white cable. HDMI from TV to receiver. Main TV done. Simple. Dish is on tripod I furnished. Other two TVs are still connected to above coach antenna. Simple to set up and tare down. Point dish with phone app or phone. Two settings in my area 79_80 and 36_37. Done. Hardest part was feeding white cable through the hole where microwave plug is.