Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
Capt Tom if you seal each screw with silicone seal and then use the self leveling roof seal you should not have any problems. But you must seal the screws when you screw them in.
That's what I ended up doing and actually just did it today! Used Dicor self leveling and once I had the brackets covered I went around the roof and emptied the rest of it sealing anything and everything.

AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:27 AM   #22

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721

100 watt panel with mounting kit from Rich Solar. I drilled holes, put Dicor sealant on screw threads, on bottom of mounts, then on top of screw heads & brackets. Used Eternabond tape to secure wires. 1 year, no problems.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #23

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Michigan
THOR #17787
I mounted a BougeRV 170 watt panel. Same install - screws and Dicor. It often tops the 170 watt number on the MPPT controller so I'll likely buy a couple more.
AAL787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:59 AM   #24

Model: Chateau 22E
State: Massachusetts
THOR #19104
I'm about to mount a 190W panel on my (almost brand new) solar ready Chateau 22E. I have brackets to screw in. Any advice as to how to decide where to put them? I can't seem to find any structural elements and things already mounted on the roof don't align on any obvious pattern so I'm tempted to just mount wherever it'll be most convenient. Am I wrong?
Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 AM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm about to mount a 190W panel on my (almost brand new) solar ready Chateau 22E. I have brackets to screw in. Any advice as to how to decide where to put them? I can't seem to find any structural elements and things already mounted on the roof don't align on any obvious pattern so I'm tempted to just mount wherever it'll be most convenient. Am I wrong?

I expect you’d be fine screwing it down wherever it is most convenient. I recently mounted a panel on my coach and I wanted to get at least some of the screws into the roof trusses. They were easy to locate with an ordinary stud finder. Mine are aluminum, 16 inches on center. I mounted 3 brackets on each side of my panel and was able to get all of them into structure. Self leveling lap sealant under, around and on top of each bracket and I’m confident of my install!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2433.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	24511
Old 06-28-2020, 02:48 AM   #26

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I went with drill less & screw less solar mounts
Although some have suggested to place at least one screw in the mounts facing the front (I chose not to, and haven’t regretted it for over a year and 10,000 miles)

That said, use a good adhesive like Sikaflex brand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65749719-36D7-43E3-8C07-86835DFE94AE.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	24512   Click image for larger version

Name:	545C9D8C-FDE0-4F53-8B38-B8FEEC262549.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	24513  

Old 06-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #27

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I expect you’d be fine screwing it down wherever it is most convenient. I recently mounted a panel on my coach and I wanted to get at least some of the screws into the roof trusses. They were easy to locate with an ordinary stud finder. Mine are aluminum, 16 inches on center. I mounted 3 brackets on each side of my panel and was able to get all of them into structure. Self leveling lap sealant under, around and on top of each bracket and I’m confident of my install!Attachment 24511
I did the same
additionally, I had the roof frame drawing which helped to locate the structure...and I confirmed with a stud finder. Found a few minor differences form the drawing.....
I'd suppose you'd be ok if some or all of the screws just land in the plywood, but personally I'd go for the frame every time...
Old 06-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #28

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I went with flexible panels..... you can see some pics in this thread at post #2:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8...els-21660.html

There were too many advantages vs. disadvantages with the flexible panels:

- Much Lighter
- Less heat generation
- Easier mounting options
- Easier to get on and off the roof

Yes.... they are more expensive and may not have the same length of life expectancy but..... I was able to run a 5000BTU A/C unit with two Renogy 160W flexible panels. They now offer 175W panels as well.

My concern with the screw-less mounts is that the roof material can stretch. If enough air flow driving 55+ mph gets under the panel with large gap under a rigid panel. I worry about about it causing the panels to left up and start stretching the roof material over time.

If I was going to use screws, I would go into the frame and use EternaBond to seal the screws and cover the mounts. EternaBond is much better than Dicor for permanent sealing.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #29

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
What did you clean your roof with before putting down the panels. Because you won’t be able to clean under again. What do you clean the panels with
Old 06-28-2020, 02:02 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You can clean the roof with rubbing alcohol, and a couple of really clean cloths.
Here's a question: should you stick flexible panels to a TPO roof... or build a frame for them; and screw it in place?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:34 PM   #31

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I cleaned my roof with Propack B.E.S.T. 55128 Rubber Roof Cleaner/Protectant before I installed my panels. It cleaned the roof nicely and made the Dicor look like it was new.

I also cleaned my roof right before installing my panels I put down EternaBond tape over every seam and joint on the roof so I will never have to worry about adding / replacing Dicor again. I will only need ot use the Roof Cleaner / Protectant once a year.

Before putting down the EternaBond tape for the seams / joints on the roof and the plastic panels that hold down my flexible solar panels, I used a little Brake Parts cleaner on a towel to prep the surface before applying the the tape.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #32

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #17688
Mounting Solar Panels..Thor does what?

The manufacturer may not know everything there is to know about mounting solar panels on the roofs of their motorhomes, but they probably understand the risks of leaks, unhappy customers, and lawsuits.

What does Thor do when they mount panels on their rigs?

I know the 2021 Gemini/Compass are equipped with a 100-watt panel from the factory. I *think* its a rigid, aluminum framed, garden variety solar panel, and someone in Engineering or Product design made a decision of how to mount it. What did they decide, does anyone know?

I've asked the factory and they said they cannot advise me, to ask the dealer.

Has anyone else asked?
Old 02-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #33

THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I cleaned my roof with Propack B.E.S.T. 55128 Rubber Roof Cleaner/Protectant before I installed my panels. It cleaned the roof nicely and made the Dicor look like it was new.

I also cleaned my roof right before installing my panels I put down EternaBond tape over every seam and joint on the roof so I will never have to worry about adding / replacing Dicor again. I will only need ot use the Roof Cleaner / Protectant once a year.

Before putting down the EternaBond tape for the seams / joints on the roof and the plastic panels that hold down my flexible solar panels, I used a little Brake Parts cleaner on a towel to prep the surface before applying the the tape.

What if I need to replace the panel. How do you get the tape off
Old 02-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #34

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetreak View Post
The manufacturer may not know everything there is to know about mounting solar panels on the roofs of their motorhomes, but they probably understand the risks of leaks, unhappy customers, and lawsuits.

What does Thor do when they mount panels on their rigs?

I know the 2021 Gemini/Compass are equipped with a 100-watt panel from the factory. I *think* its a rigid, aluminum framed, garden variety solar panel, and someone in Engineering or Product design made a decision of how to mount it. What did they decide, does anyone know?

I've asked the factory and they said they cannot advise me, to ask the dealer.

Has anyone else asked?
RV manufacturers use screws in the roof for nearly everything + Dicor (or similar sealant)
My Vegas has sheet metal under the thermo-plastic roof liner (then plywood).
So there is enough “bite” to hold the screw.

I chose to use drill-less mounts without the screws. That way if I decide to move
the panels or increase the size of the panels at a later date there are no holes left behind.
But flex panels with Eternabond tape are a good option too. They just don’t last as long and have no air-space for cooling.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #35

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
What if I need to replace the panel. How do you get the tape off
Solvent & elbow grease
Old 02-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #36

THOR #3471
How do you get etherbond tape up if you need to
Old 02-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #37

THOR #13362
Steps for Removing Eternabond Tape

1. Heat the Eternabond tape with a hair dryer or heat gun to soften it up

2. Tear back the outer coating of the tape

3. Use a utility knife to cut back the stringy sticky material as you pull off the outer coating

4. Heat up the remaining stick material with the hair dryer or heat gun

5. Scrape as much of the stick material away with a plastic scraper (be careful not to puncture the surface of your roof)

6. Apply turpentine to a rag and wipe away the remaining residue
Other solvents that have been known to help remove sticky residue are mineral spirits, gasoline (yeah seriously), WD40, 3M Contact Adhesive Remover Spray, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and rubbing alcohol.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #38

THOR #3471
Wow. I don’t think I’ll be using that stuff
Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #39

THOR #13362
You could use Sikaflex 221 Adhesive on the flex panels

Do what Judge did...use small nut&bolt to fasten flex panel to plastic corrugated sheets (available at Lowes or Home Depot)

Then Sikaflex the corrugated sheet with flex panel to the roof
Place "gobs" of adhesive on the 4 corners + a bead along the front so that wind cannot get under while driving.

Lightly sand the areas on the corrugated sheet & on the roof where adhesive will be applied.

When you go to remove, will be much easier than the Eternabond tape.

I used the Sikaflex to adhere the drill-less mounts. It's holding fine for over 2 years and 15K miles.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sikaflex-221-White