Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2021, 08:03 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Citation Sprinter 24ST
State: Arizona
THOR #20892
Angry Update Fusion RV-IN801 GPS map data

I tried to update the GPS map data on my 2018 Thor Citation Sprinter 24SL, with the Fusion RV-IN801 entertainment system. The manual(s) are perfectly clear on how to do it. However they fail to say that if the unit is more than three years old, it cannot be updated!!

After running the gauntlet of several 30 min. holds to Thor and Garmin, Garmin product support told me Thor and Garmin agreed that Fusion RV-IN801 units more than three years old are no longer supported for map upgrades. Mine is four years old.

I would think that this fact would be stated somewhere in the Thor or Garmin literature. It is not. So I am stuck with a really nice GPS on my RV that has stale GPS map data and there is nothing I can do about it. You would think that they would at least offer the last available map version. The stale map data got me lost in Austin TX.

Garmin product support suggested that I purchase a new entertainment system. That kind of got me upset. Next time I have a decision on buying something from Thor or Garmin, I will remember how well they stand by their product.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Did you ask Garmin if you could purchase a Lifetime Maps Update subscription like they offer on their other standalone GPS units?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:42 PM   #3

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
A three year old GPS should be updateable. It probably had free updates for three years. After that you have to purchase them.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

Model: Citation Sprinter 24ST
State: Arizona
THOR #20892
Angry No GPS updates available

When I inquired if I could purchase an update, Garmin support said there was no GPS updates available for the Fusion RV-IN801 older then three years.

R. Olds
Old 03-06-2021, 10:44 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolds105 View Post
When I inquired if I could purchase an update, Garmin support said there was no GPS updates available for the Fusion RV-IN801 older then three years.

R. Olds
Well that just sucks...
I'd just use it then. To be honest, I doubt there is much to update. It seems to me any highway project in the lower 48 takes at least 10 years to complete anyway.

Tags
fusion entertainment, gps map, rv-in801