Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
State: Florida
THOR #4656
Talking Finished fooling with A/C

When we bought the RV we have now, we were mostly camping in the mountains of northern Georgia. A single a/c was more than adequate. Now we do mostly beach camping. Since we have only 30amp service and a 13500 btu A/C, it just does not do so well particularly the first day of arrival. We have to dissipate the heat from the V10 and the generator. That and 90+ degree weather and no shade is very uncomfortable. The dogs pant continuously.

I followed all the typical stuff like blocking off the end run on the vents, and using aluminum tape to insure isolation between return air and the cold side. But still, it's too hot.

I'm a DIY kind of guy and rarely resort to help from any services. So, I checked for the best prices on another 13500 unit. Then went about figuring how I could by myself get the new a/c on the roof. I devised a ramp from an extension ladder and a dolly with sides to prevent the a/c from sliding off on it's way to the roof.

OK, Dave. Stop and rethink this. I already committed to running an independent 20 amp circuit for the new a/c. I just needed to get it up on the roof without killing myself or destroying the a/c on the trip up and ripping up the roof once there.

I went to an RV dealer, not CW, and asked then to price out the same a/c, removing the old vent and installing the new a/c and leaving the electrical hook up to me. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Net net, labor, a/c taxes and all, it was going to cost me < $250 to have them do it. My appointment is next week.

At my age, I don't welcome heat stroke or a heart attack to do the job myself.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Smart move. Hope everything works out.

Quoting Harry, “a man’s got to know his limitations”. As we get older, who wants to spend their time working hard when you can be relaxing on the beach?

That’s a lot of motorhome for a single 13,500 A/C, particularly on a hot day like we’ve been having in south Florida near the beach. Yesterday it felt like 106 F, and today isn’t much cooler. Feels like an oven outside. The temperature itself isn’t that bad but humidity and sun makes it unbearable. Your second A/C should make a real difference.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #3

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
When we bought the RV we have now, we were mostly camping in the mountains of northern Georgia. A single a/c was more than adequate. Now we do mostly beach camping. Since we have only 30amp service and a 13500 btu A/C, it just does not do so well particularly the first day of arrival. We have to dissipate the heat from the V10 and the generator. That and 90+ degree weather and no shade is very uncomfortable. The dogs pant continuously.

I followed all the typical stuff like blocking off the end run on the vents, and using aluminum tape to insure isolation between return air and the cold side. But still, it's too hot.

I'm a DIY kind of guy and rarely resort to help from any services. So, I checked for the best prices on another 13500 unit. Then went about figuring how I could by myself get the new a/c on the roof. I devised a ramp from an extension ladder and a dolly with sides to prevent the a/c from sliding off on it's way to the roof.

OK, Dave. Stop and rethink this. I already committed to running an independent 20 amp circuit for the new a/c. I just needed to get it up on the roof without killing myself or destroying the a/c on the trip up and ripping up the roof once there.

I went to an RV dealer, not CW, and asked then to price out the same a/c, removing the old vent and installing the new a/c and leaving the electrical hook up to me. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Net net, labor, a/c taxes and all, it was going to cost me < $250 to have them do it. My appointment is next week.

At my age, I don't welcome heat stroke or a heart attack to do the job myself.
Dave,
Smart move. The electrical isnt that difficult to do

When i added my second ac i had two friends help plus a lift so it was easy getting it up there

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Dave,
Smart move. The electrical isnt that difficult to do

When i added my second ac i had two friends help plus a lift so it was easy getting it up there

Jerry
Hello, when you added a second a/c unit how did you wire it.

Thanks
Chuck
Old 07-05-2019, 12:35 AM   #5

THOR #3156
I used I believe 10 gauge romex. The vent already has 12vt wires for a fan. Used those wires to pull the romex through the ceiling into the cabinet over the bed.

In my mh all the electrical stuff is under the bed. So I ran the romex through a wall down to under the bed. Then out through the floor with all the other wires. I connected the wires to a 30 amp plug.

I get a 50 amp campsite. Use a 50 to two 30 amp adapter to connect at the pedestal

JerryClick image for larger version

Name:	20190702_084410.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	18696Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_083403.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	18697Click image for larger version

Name:	20190702_083351.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	18698
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #5494
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I used I believe 10 gauge romex. The vent already has 12vt wires for a fan. Used those wires to pull the romex through the ceiling into the cabinet over the bed.

In my mh all the electrical stuff is under the bed. So I ran the romex through a wall down to under the bed. Then out through the floor with all the other wires. I connected the wires to a 30 amp plug.

I get a 50 amp campsite. Use a 50 to two 30 amp adapter to connect at the pedestal

JerryAttachment 18696Attachment 18697Attachment 18698
That looks great nice job! Thank you! Another mod on the list.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #7

THOR #4656
Update to 2nd a/c install

Just finished adding a 20amp circuit for the a/c install tomorrow. I ran 12/2 romex from the roof vent to the outside Marinco 20 amp inlet plug. As others discovered, the vent had 12v wires laying inside the vent surround and those were used to pull the romex to a cabinet. From there the fun began. Eventually I was able to route it to the inlet plug. I invented new words along the way.

I did install a marine type (push to reset) circuit breaker in a box in the bedroom. I didn't want to rely on the cb's at the campgrounds. We'll see how the rest goes tomorrow.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations on a successful start to the project!
here's hoping that tomorrow brings you the cool, sweet, refreshing air of an unqualified success!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Congrates. Yeah the longer 29/30 footers (like yours) really needs TWO AC units in order to cool properly. Post some pictures (inside and out of RV) when done please.

IMO the cut off for one AC unit is around 27 foot in order to cool an RV properly in full sun. In the Shade you can get by with a larger RV.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

THOR #3156
Quote:
Just finished adding a 20amp circuit for the a/c install tomorrow. I ran 12/2 romex from the roof vent to the outside Marinco 20 amp inlet plug. As others discovered, the vent had 12v wires laying inside the vent surround and those were used to pull the romex to a cabinet. From there the fun began. Eventually I was able to route it to the inlet plug. I invented new words along the way.

I did install a marine type (push to reset) circuit breaker in a box in the bedroom. I didn't want to rely on the cb's at the campgrounds. We'll see how the rest goes tomorrow.
I added a breaker in the bedroom cabinet also. And i went one step further. I added another Progressive hard wired 30 amp ems just for the ac. I know the ems is over kill but I like to know the voltage of all my systems and what amps they are pulling. Plus the protection to the new ac

Jerry
FMCA # F464385
Old 07-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #11

Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
I’m considering adding a second AC unit to my Axis 25.2. I winter in Florida and have had numerous days when the single unit would not cool the MH. I have a million questions about what all would be involved. Is it possible to incorporate the second unit into the duct system or would it be just for a single room ie bedroom?
Wiring? Where to begin?
Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #12

THOR #4656
Sforl, It may be possible to tap into your duct system, but the easiest solution is to get one that dumps air directly. It will freeze you out of the bedroom at night. This I know from adding a second a/c to the bedroom in my previous 5th wheel. At night we just turned the bedroom a/c off and opened the original air ducts supplied from the living room area.

As to your question you will need to ad a second independent circuit from coach entry point to the overhead vent where you intend to put the 2nd a/c. There is a good youtube out there on doing just that. Search youtube using words like adding second a/c. I just spent 4 days doing it working from 7:00a to about 11:00a in 90+ degree heat without any a/c hook ups. No helper so if you have ever pulled wire by yourself you'll have a fun time particularly pushing on one end and pulling on the other. I thought 25' of wire would be plenty, but routing it the way I had to left me 6 feet short. So that's where the junction box and the circuit breaker got located.

Think it through before you buy any parts.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

THOR #4656
For inquiring minds, the a/c install is finished. It's 97 degrees outside. It's 74 inside with the new a/c only running on low cool. Granted, the main a/c was on during the install to give the dealer techs a cooler environment while they worked. The main a/c was turned off about an hour and the new a/c was the only one working. I thing the problem is solved and I can rent out space inside as a meat locker. Can't wait to hit the beach.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #14

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
I also added a second A/C to the bedroom area, and used the exhaust fan that was in the bedroom replaced the one in the bathroom, a hell of alot quiter. Did my own wiring on a seperate 20amp circut. Had the guys that cut our grass use there frontend loader to get the unit on the roof.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #15

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
I’m considering adding a second AC unit to my Axis 25.2. I winter in Florida and have had numerous days when the single unit would not cool the MH. I have a million questions about what all would be involved. Is it possible to incorporate the second unit into the duct system or would it be just for a single room ie bedroom?
Wiring? Where to begin?
Well before you add a 2nd AC unit on such a small RV.... have you tried the tips and trick posted on this forum?

I was disappoint in mine but with a few simple (and free) mods, some foil tape and one roll of Frost King I can get mine down into the low 70's inside when its 95+ outside. Im very please with my AC now.

Of coarse you still need to block out the front windows (I had Cermic Tint install on ALL windows - it did wonders). And it dont hurt to use the reflective bubble wrap in all (or most) of your windows when parked in the sun.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:44 AM   #16

Model: Quantrum RC25
THOR #14016
Buy a 15000 btu air conditioner. It will use less current during the day. Make sure you have or purchase a comparable thermostat (some models use a cat 5 connector). I used a dull putty knife to separate the seal from the roof.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:58 AM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
for inquiring minds, the a/c install is finished. It's 97 degrees outside. It's 74 inside with the new a/c only running on low cool. Granted, the main a/c was on during the install to give the dealer techs a cooler environment while they worked. The main a/c was turned off about an hour and the new a/c was the only one working. I thing the problem is solved and i can rent out space inside as a meat locker. Can't wait to hit the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junodtim View Post
buy a 15000 btu air conditioner. It will use less current during the day. Make sure you have or purchase a comparable thermostat (some models use a cat 5 connector). I used a dull putty knife to separate the seal from the roof.
rmpl
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #18

THOR #4656
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
rmpl
So your point is?

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 07-21-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
So your point is?
Some people add to a thread without reading the thread. You already resolved your issue and made your purchase decision - essentially the thread was closed, and you get a suggestion on what to buy to resolve your issue. My comment was not directed at you.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #20

THOR #4656
I didn't know what "rmpl" meant. And I agree with your post. That's why I didn't go back with the 15000 vs. 13500 suggestion.

2017 Freedom Elite 29fe
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad