Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 03:52 AM   #1
Kev

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Security

Has anyone added security system to their Axis/Vegas? I would like to add some kind of security to my RV when stored away from my home.

Kev

Old 07-23-2016, 04:35 AM   #2

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Not sure it would work! A house system usually requires power with battery back up & a often a phone line, so unless you are connected to power that wouldn't work. A vehicle could be used but how many times have you been in a parking lot with an alarm going off & no one even looks that direction. So in my opinion save your money & go enjoy the rv.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
I am curious what sort of responses you get. I have also been considering that. I understand the comment about alarms in parking lots. Hardly anyone pays much attention. However I'm pretty sure that whoever set it off probably paid attention.

Ken
Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
Kev

THOR #3918
Security

I was thinking more in line of a mobile system like I have in my truck. Not only is there an audible alarm but I will get a notification on my cell phone no matter where I am. It does require a yearly fee because it uses cell towers. I also can lock or unlock my doors.

Kev
Old 07-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #5

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Are you plugged in to power at the storage facility? If so their are many choices that work on 12v or 120v.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
This is a topic I have been contemplating for a while. The best I have found so far is Simplisafe. It uses cellular to communicate The sensors have stand alone lithium batteries that last 5 years and the base only requires 7.5v with a backup battery lasting 24 hours. Yes, you do need power but probably the best real security solution I have seen. Best of luck.

Starter Security System: 5 Pieces | Home Security
Old 07-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
This is a topic I have been contemplating for a while. The best I have found so far is Simplisafe. It uses cellular to communicate The sensors have stand alone lithium batteries that last 5 years and the base only requires 7.5v with a backup battery lasting 24 hours. Yes, you do need power but probably the best real security solution I have seen. Best of luck.

Starter Security System: 5 Pieces | Home Security
Thanks for the link. Last night we were watching the TV show "Flip or Flop"
It showed them installing a Simplisafe system in one of their finished homes.
I've never heard of it before and now I have seen two references to it in the last 12 hours.

I'm not sure what Kev had in mind, but I was thinking of more of an automotive system that makes a bunch of noise when a door is opened when the alarm is armed.

Ken

Я говорю на русском, но не понимают русский

The above statement is somewhat true, but actual translation is courtesy of Google
Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM   #8

THOR #4160
Ha! That was a good translation. My wife and I speak Russian at home. We often get odd looks depending on where we are in the states. When we lived in Europe, it helped not draw attention to ourselves as Americans. Good OPSEC. ;-)

As for the Simplisafe, that is my top choice right now but I am the kind of person that has to learn everything about it and see it in person before I purchase. There are some decent third party reviews on YouTube.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Ha! That was a good translation. My wife and I speak Russian at home. We often get odd looks depending on where we are in the states. When we lived in Europe, it helped not draw attention to ourselves as Americans. Good OPSEC. ;-)

As for the Simplisafe, that is my top choice right now but I am the kind of person that has to learn everything about it and see it in person before I purchase. There are some decent third party reviews on YouTube.
I visited their website several days..via a link from Better Homes & Gardens newsletter. They have several options and it seems pretty straightforward.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #10
Kev

THOR #3918
I am also checking out a system called Remote Coast System which is designed for RV and boats. Their monitoring monthly cost is cheaper than Simple Safe.

Kev
Old 07-23-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I am also checking out a system called Remote Coast System which is designed for RV and boats. Their monitoring monthly cost is cheaper than Simple Safe.

Kev
For someone considering a system, it might be a good idea to visit the website and read about SimpliSafe and their monitoring option.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 AM   #12

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
For someone considering a system, it might be a good idea to visit the website and read about SimpliSafe and their monitoring option.
I took your advice. It does not seem to be appropriate for a mobile environment.

First of all the RV will have to be in cell phone coverage for whatever carrier they use. Secondly for the advanced package you will also have be in your cell provider's coverage.

In addition, the first response option of sending the police to your home would hardly work for a RV that is one place one day and another place the next.

Which brings up another issue. I now think it would be a good idea to have an "In Case of Emergency Contact" sticker on our RV door with our cell number on it.

Granted it will make a bunch of noise where your RV is. However if you are really camping, there may be no one there to hear it.

Another drawback in my personal situation is the fact that we travel with cats. That means the motion detector would have to be disabled. In the standard package that leaves one entry detector. However, our motorhome has three doors.

Our home is protected by ADT, so I'm fairly familiar with alarm options.

I'm still going to start with looking at auto alarm systems. However, I'm not going to decide until I look carefully at "Remote Coast System". it looks very promising at first glance.

Ken
Old 07-24-2016, 02:58 AM   #13
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Which brings up another issue. I now think it would be a good idea to have an "In Case of Emergency Contact" sticker on our RV door with our cell number on it.
Ken
You just might have something .. regarding your comment about
the "in case of emergency contact" sticker
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-24-2016, 01:40 PM   #14

THOR #4160
I never intended to subscribe to the Simplisafe service just use it to monitor and deter with the alarm. I could see how that it would not be very beneficial for everyone then again, I don't think you are going to find any system that will work in a remote area.

Kev recommended RV Command and that is a product I definitely want to learn more about. If there is anyone that has experience with it, please let us know. Best of luck with everyone finding the right security solution for their situation.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:23 PM   #15

THOR #4719
Quote:
I never intended to subscribe to the Simplisafe service just use it to monitor and deter with the alarm. I could see how that it would not be very beneficial for everyone then again, I don't think you are going to find any system that will work in a remote area.

Kev recommended RV Command and that is a product I definitely want to learn more about. If there is anyone that has experience with it, please let us know. Best of luck with everyone finding the right security solution for their situation.

Something else just occurred to me. We travel with pets. Does one really want an extremely loud alarm device going off in such a confined space if our dogs, cat, parrots or what else you may bring with you are in there.

I am still researching RV command. I like the fact that it apparently uses GPS. I am also going to check and see what LoJack has to offer these days.

Ken
Old 07-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #16

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
You just might have something .. regarding your comment about
the "in case of emergency contact" sticker
This is list in order of who to call we keep in all our vehicles.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:43 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #3552
Here's another option to track your RV if stolen:

SPOT Store
Old 07-24-2016, 07:25 PM   #18
Kev

THOR #3918
Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Something else just occurred to me. We travel with pets. Does one really want an extremely loud alarm device going off in such a confined space if our dogs, cat, parrots or what else you may bring with you are in there.

I am still researching RV command. I like the fact that it apparently uses GPS. I am also going to check and see what LoJack has to offer these days.

Ken
The security system for me is when the RV is in storage unoccupied .

Kev
Old 07-24-2016, 08:57 PM   #19

THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
The security system for me is when the RV is in storage unoccupied .

Kev
Sorry,

I guess I did hijack your thread.

Ken 
Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #20
vkb

THOR #3510
Como .. that is an interesting device .. on the same order as
'find my phone'