Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
Glad to see some more Ohioans. The weather is finally getting nice for camping here also.

Old 05-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #22

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn View Post
Hello Folks,

I have been searching online and in the forum for a ride report for a set of AGM batteries for our Thor Axis 25.6 (Group 24). Lots and lots of posts about Lithium batteries, but with the infrequency we use our motorhome, the $1,400-$2,200 for a set of two is not in the budget.

Our flooded batteries are not holding up above 12.3V for very long, even with a very light load.

Does anyone have experience with AGM batteries lately that have held up well for more than a season and have better than average capacity. Our use profile is relatively low. We don't have an installed inverter, though we may occasionally run a little plug in 400w unit to charge a laptop here and there.

Thanks in advance!
I tried AGM batts and was not impressed AT ALL!!! Went back to flooded and use the Quik-Fill system, plus I added a third batt because I have a 12v powered Norcold that was modded by J.C. Refridgeration in Indiana and it's the bomb. Deka RV/Marine batts from NAPA are very good and half the price of AGM's...
Old 05-24-2021, 07:05 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Thanks for the update - did you go with (2) 12V or (2) 6V Group 31 AGMs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn View Post
Hello All,
For those who find this thread and wonder what the resolution was:

We went with two Group 31 AGM batteries from Batteries+ (Duracell Grey Case). They had an amazing sale, a rebate, and Rakuten 15% cash rebate with the online order for store pickup.

The install was fairly straight forward. The batteries DO fit in the space under the steps, but with no room to spare in the battery tray portion of the area. There is a small lip on the bottom that keeps them from sliding over and slamming into the 100AMP CB.

A few notes:
1. The cross over (parallel) battery cables will be at the limit to where I don't feel the need to remake longer cables. You will need to undo some zip ties that were used to hold up slack that is no longer slack.

2. The feed cable to the 50AMP CB will need to be rerouted to above the tray support, instead of under, very simple and only requires moving the cable from underneath.

3. CAUTION that you don't accidentally short the 100AMP post that comes from the BIM/Cab battery. The cable space is small, and you would think that the post is a ground lug, but it is actually a post in a bushing to connect the feed from the generator and the vehicle battery.

4. These are very heavy batteries. You will want to eat a good breakfast and be careful. They go into the opening at a slight angle and then slide to the front.

Overall, a solid looking installation. I took the opportunity to use red and black electrical tape to mark the ends of the battery cables. (Thor left them all black with the cable colors hidden under the plastic protective tubes). The solar charger is set to AGM now as well (not that I have solar setup yet anyway.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thanks all!! Our ACE 25 year RV tech guy said he will install Interstate Group 31 flooded..he said AGM is not needed. He said the centennial house batteries are useless and being used by many dealers due to cost..

He will installl the interstate for the cost he pays
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:38 AM   #25

State: Nevada
THOR #21367
Agm

Buy them at Costco 79.99 each good enough for what you need by two of them bring them back every 8 months or a year get another one for free keep doing it forever Costco's like that use that Costco card like you own it
Old 05-25-2021, 04:24 AM   #26

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbad View Post
Buy them at Costco 79.99 each good enough for what you need by two of them bring them back every 8 months or a year get another one for free keep doing it forever Costco's like that use that Costco card like you own it
Rangerbad...
You are bad.

(You sound like me)
Old 05-25-2021, 12:36 PM   #27

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbad View Post
So keep stealing batteries from Costco. Sorry but NO That is ethically and morally wrong

My stock batteries have lasted 5 years. I'll replace them after this trip I'm on. Whether I pay $80x2 at costco or $200x2 for agm that's not a lot for 5 years of use and definitely not worth lowering myself to steal them

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #28

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Agree. With halfway decent care your flooded batteries should last 5 years and cost about $75 apiece to replace. Totally works for me.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #29

THOR #20220
Kurt my RV gut said he loves interstate flooded and all his client use them
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 05-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #30

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
As a data point, my original flooded batteries lasted 2 years. I replaced them with AGM batteries, which would no longer hold a charge after just 1.5 years, so I just replaced them. I wanted to go with AGM again, but I was on a trip and ended up getting flooded batteries (deep cycle RV/Marine batteries) due to availability at my location.

I'm starting to think that lithium might be worth the investment.
Old 05-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #31

THOR #20220
Old 05-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #32

THOR #20220
this is interesting see the volts and microwave test
Old 06-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #33

State: Colorado
THOR #22407
Thor Axis 25.6 battery upgrade

Hello all,

I have been following this thread in anticipation of upgrading my Axis 25.6 batteries, but I still have several questions - hoping this group can help asnwer some of them:

1. What battery capacity does the Axis 25.6 come with from the factory? I am assuming it's 2 12V group 24's in parallel - 100AH x 2 = 200AH

2. My understanding is that upgrading to AGM does not improve capacity, AGM just cycles longer, is maintenance free, at around twice the cost.

3. What capacity are folks getting upgrading to Group 31 batteries? [they appear to be 2" longer than Group 24 so I assume more capacity]

4. Has anybody moved from 2x12V in parallel to 2 6V in series? My local Batteries+ rep claims this change will yield 230AH vs 200

5. Has anybody gotten more than 2 batteries to fit, possibly by modifying the tray? My tray measures 28" long x 7" wide x 10" tall

Right now, I am leaning toward 2 6V Group 31 batteries in series (either flooded or AGM) but would really like to know the capacity increase before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, Vic
Old 06-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #34

State: Minnesota
THOR #19857
See my responses in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
Hello all,

I have been following this thread in anticipation of upgrading my Axis 25.6 batteries, but I still have several questions - hoping this group can help asnwer some of them:

1. What battery capacity does the Axis 25.6 come with from the factory? I am assuming it's 2 12V group 24's in parallel - 100AH x 2 = 200AH
>Group 24, something smaller than 100Ah
2. My understanding is that upgrading to AGM does not improve capacity, AGM just cycles longer, is maintenance free, at around twice the cost.
>Some AGM's do offer larger Ah capacity. We went up to Group 31 and likely gained an effective 50 usable Ah
3. What capacity are folks getting upgrading to Group 31 batteries? [they appear to be 2" longer than Group 24 so I assume more capacity]
>We went with the Duracell G31's (grey box) and they fit in the tray. The cables MAY need to be lengthened. I did need to re-route the supply like that goes to the 50AMP circuit breaker to over a frame member instead of under it.
4. Has anybody moved from 2x12V in parallel to 2 6V in series? My local Batteries+ rep claims this change will yield 230AH vs 200

5. Has anybody gotten more than 2 batteries to fit, possibly by modifying the tray? My tray measures 28" long x 7" wide x 10" tall

Right now, I am leaning toward 2 6V Group 31 batteries in series (either flooded or AGM) but would really like to know the capacity increase before pulling the trigger.

Thanks, Vic
Old 06-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #35

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by vealessi View Post
Hello all,

Thanks, Vic

My Chateau class C has 2 group 27 size batteries. I'm not sure if the Axis is the same, but I suspect group 27 will fit.

For me, the biggest advantage of AGM is not needing to add water. With the RV plugged into shore power a lot of the time, the water tends to evaporate and needs to be refilled regularly. Plus, one of my batteries is not completely accessible. Some folks install battery watering systems to make adding water easier.

In my class C, the battery tray extends under the steps, so there is room for 4 batteries. However, the rear 2 will be totally inaccessible for maintenance.

My original flooded batteries lasted about 2 years. I replaced them with AGM, and they lasted only about 1.5 years. I will consider upgrading to lithium batteries next time.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A really rough rule of thumb for amp hours...
24s will get you about 60 ah
27s will get you about 85 ah
31s bump you up to about 105...
YMMV...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:23 PM   #37

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
vealessi asked...

There are very few that announced it on this Forum. That is, 6v (golf cart type) sit too high. I remember one member in his Axis had to modify the steps so that it could close. Something I'm not willing to do

There have been mods listed on this Forum where the front passenger compartment was used as a battery storage for two additional 12v. But even if the current battery tray is modified, you run out of room "side-to-side" due to the chassis frame

Finally, regarding Group 31's...based on the measurements I'm not sure that all brands of Group 31's fit the battery cavity. I know that it would be a very very tight fit to install + attaching the cables & closing the step without any shorting-out.

Personally, I've stayed with the Group 24 FLA's. They're cheap and work fine for me.
Old 06-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Had Kurt rv install 2 group 31 interstate flooded $150 each his cost and $50 to install
Old 06-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #39

THOR #20220
Thx Bob

A really rough rule of thumb for amp hours...
24s will get you about 60 ah
27s will get you about 85 ah
31s bump you up to about 105...
Old 06-03-2021, 04:55 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1622739351
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Here All Week.jpg