Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Minnesota
THOR #19857
Question Seeking: Quality AGM Batteries... and a place to buy them.

Hello Folks,

I have been searching online and in the forum for a ride report for a set of AGM batteries for our Thor Axis 25.6 (Group 24). Lots and lots of posts about Lithium batteries, but with the infrequency we use our motorhome, the $1,400-$2,200 for a set of two is not in the budget.

Our flooded batteries are not holding up above 12.3V for very long, even with a very light load.

Does anyone have experience with AGM batteries lately that have held up well for more than a season and have better than average capacity. Our use profile is relatively low. We don't have an installed inverter, though we may occasionally run a little plug in 400w unit to charge a laptop here and there.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-14-2021, 12:31 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
You say you want Group 24 batteries, which are small, but the under the step battery compartment on our new Axis 24.1 will hold two Group 31 batteries which provide much more amp hours of energy.

Early this year, soon after it was delivered I replaced the OEM batteries (unlabeled so I don't know the group size) with a pair of 100 amp hour WindyNation Group 31 AGMs from Amazon. See https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't have any long term experience with them, but they seem to be well made. Last month we did a week long trip in our new Axis, all dry camping, and ran the batteries down to about 50% and they charged back up to 100% just fine.

David
Old 05-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
When the flooded batteries in our '15 Windsport began failing about a year and half ago, we upgraded to AGM's. No complaints thus far. Picked ours up from Batteries+ (Duracell brand). If you have B+ in your area, they usually have a great selection and decent pricing.

Just be sure to take several pics from multiple angles before disconnecting your old ones to take in to avoid the core fee..... sometimes the wiring schema is clear, sometimes not so much.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Any of the AGM choices will wokk out better than your current FLA versions.
Duracell Lifeline, and Interstate are where U'd start my search: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I’m still with flooded deep cycle for the two house batteries.

Just traded-in two Costco Interstate Group 24’s that were approaching 3yrs old. One cell in one battery was dead, although as a pair they still held a charge.

So I was shopping for AGM, when I came across the SAMS Club deal price thru Sun-5/16 on Duracell Deep Cycle FLA’s.
The special price for a Group 24 is just $54.74 or $110 for the pair.

I purchased two and am not looking back.
That is...that’s what fits under my steps, and if they last for 24mo I’m good with it.
At minimum, it gets me thru the next two yrs until I again consider upgrading to AGM.
Maybe I’ll even consider the Group 31 switch-out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84EA34BD-0740-47D2-9692-DB10206E7E88.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	30474  
Old 05-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #6

Model: 2014 Windsport 34f
State: Alabama
THOR #6507
Group 27

I purchased 2 AGM Group 27s at Sam's two days ago. Install was easy. Cost $300 for the two batteries. They were on sale, $20 off each. I wanted the Group 31s but could not find after going to 3 different Sam's locations. I checked the batteries this morning and have not experienced any drain on the batteries. I had forgot to plug-in at my house 50amp receptacle, so I am pleased. The batteries were fully charged when I purchased.

I like the idea of having maintenance free batteries.
Toad: (Wally One) 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking (4 Down)
"Welcome to our front porch"
rickymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:02 AM   #7

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #12907
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymac View Post
I purchased 2 AGM Group 27s at Sam's two days ago. Install was easy. Cost $300 for the two batteries. They were on sale, $20 off each. I wanted the Group 31s but could not find after going to 3 different Sam's locations. I checked the batteries this morning and have not experienced any drain on the batteries. I had forgot to plug-in at my house 50amp receptacle, so I am pleased. The batteries were fully charged when I purchased.

I like the idea of having maintenance free batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9998.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	30524

I don’t know much about batteries, so would 2 of these be a good choice for my Vegas house batteries?
Basically the same size as the group 24.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #8

Model: Deposit: Chateau 28A
State: Ohio
THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn View Post
Hello Folks,

I have been searching online and in the forum for a ride report for a set of AGM batteries for our Thor Axis 25.6 (Group 24). Lots and lots of posts about Lithium batteries, but with the infrequency we use our motorhome, the $1,400-$2,200 for a set of two is not in the budget.

Our flooded batteries are not holding up above 12.3V for very long, even with a very light load.

Does anyone have experience with AGM batteries lately that have held up well for more than a season and have better than average capacity. Our use profile is relatively low. We don't have an installed inverter, though we may occasionally run a little plug in 400w unit to charge a laptop here and there.

Thanks in advance!
I found the best information from a locally owned automotive battery store. They are independent from any one battery manufacturer and are family owned. They walked me through the various batteries which included flooded, AGM and Lithium. They actually talked me out of lithium due to the high cost and the fact that lithium batteries would not like our Ohio winter weather. We store our Chateau 28A outdoors. He said for the money AGM is definitely the way to go. For longevity he said 2 AGM Golf cart 6v batteries wired to provide 12 volts of power would last the longest and store more power. A side note: we dry camp (boon dock) most of the time. This is a long way to the point of suggesting searching for a locally owned battery store. If they are not affiliated with a manufacturer they will give you the best advice.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:15 PM   #9

THOR #22687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
I found the best information from a locally owned automotive battery store. They are independent from any one battery manufacturer and are family owned. They walked me through the various batteries which included flooded, AGM and Lithium. They actually talked me out of lithium due to the high cost and the fact that lithium batteries would not like our Ohio winter weather. We store our Chateau 28A outdoors. He said for the money AGM is definitely the way to go. For longevity he said 2 AGM Golf cart 6v batteries wired to provide 12 volts of power would last the longest and store more power. A side note: we dry camp (boon dock) most of the time. This is a long way to the point of suggesting searching for a locally owned battery store. If they are not affiliated with a manufacturer they will give you the best advice.
Where in OH and what dealer? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #10

THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
Where in OH and what dealer? Thanks.
In Piqua, OH. And it’s called Piqua Battery. The guy there took time to talk to me and walk me through all the options. I appreciate that and will go there for all my battery needs. They also sell all kinds of other batteries from tools to specialty batteries as well.
Old 05-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

State: Minnesota
THOR #19857
Post Found! We went the Group 31 Route

Hello All,
For those who find this thread and wonder what the resolution was:

We went with two Group 31 AGM batteries from Batteries+ (Duracell Grey Case). They had an amazing sale, a rebate, and Rakuten 15% cash rebate with the online order for store pickup.

The install was fairly straight forward. The batteries DO fit in the space under the steps, but with no room to spare in the battery tray portion of the area. There is a small lip on the bottom that keeps them from sliding over and slamming into the 100AMP CB.

A few notes:
1. The cross over (parallel) battery cables will be at the limit to where I don't feel the need to remake longer cables. You will need to undo some zip ties that were used to hold up slack that is no longer slack.

2. The feed cable to the 50AMP CB will need to be rerouted to above the tray support, instead of under, very simple and only requires moving the cable from underneath.

3. CAUTION that you don't accidentally short the 100AMP post that comes from the BIM/Cab battery. The cable space is small, and you would think that the post is a ground lug, but it is actually a post in a bushing to connect the feed from the generator and the vehicle battery.

4. These are very heavy batteries. You will want to eat a good breakfast and be careful. They go into the opening at a slight angle and then slide to the front.

Overall, a solid looking installation. I took the opportunity to use red and black electrical tape to mark the ends of the battery cables. (Thor left them all black with the cable colors hidden under the plastic protective tubes). The solar charger is set to AGM now as well (not that I have solar setup yet anyway.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:11 AM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #19571
I bought a couple of Weize 100AH AGM's from Amazon. Seem well made. Perform great with my inverter. So far they've lasted all night with just solar charging.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:20 AM   #13

THOR #22687
Quote:
In Piqua, OH. And it’s called Piqua Battery. The guy there took time to talk to me and walk me through all the options. I appreciate that and will go there for all my battery needs. They also sell all kinds of other batteries from tools to specialty batteries as well.
Thanks, that's just North of us.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:27 AM   #14

THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
Thanks, that's just North of us.
We are in Troy.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:10 AM   #15

THOR #22687
Fairborn.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Springfield Three people from OH, so close together.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:
They actually talked me out of lithium due to the high cost and the fact that lithium batteries would not like our Ohio winter weather.
Can't argue with the high cost, and the possible need to upgrade other systems (such as putting in a DC-DC charger between the alternator and battery pack, and a Converter with a charge program appropriate for Lithium), but in terms of winter: They can't be charged below freezing, so if the BMS doesn't do it automatically (BattleBorn does) you would just need to disconnect them in the winter to keep them from being charged when below freezing.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:21 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Group 24 batteries, 2020 vegas 25.6
01) can I fit the group 31?
02) how much more power or 24 vs 31?
03) kurt repair guy against AGM in cold weather. Folks here in montana do not use.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #19

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Group 24 batteries, 2020 vegas 25.6
01) can I fit the group 31?
02) how much more power or 24 vs 31?
03) kurt repair guy against AGM in cold weather. Folks here in montana do not use.
A group 24 battery weighs 37.5 lbs and a group 31 battery weighs 63 lbs. These are flooded DieHard figures. The more lead the more amp-h per battery.

As for AGM vs flooded in the winter - both use the same chemistry and only difference is in packaging. Most battery websites list a greater CCA for AGM as compared to the same size flooded battery. Both batteries will not freeze if fully charged at temperatures down to -70 F degrees.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #20

THOR #22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Can't argue with the high cost, and the possible need to upgrade other systems (such as putting in a DC-DC charger between the alternator and battery pack, and a Converter with a charge program appropriate for Lithium), but in terms of winter: They can't be charged below freezing, so if the BMS doesn't do it automatically (BattleBorn does) you would just need to disconnect them in the winter to keep them from being charged when below freezing.
Yes that was the other thing I found out after talking with them. We had a Forest River Wolf Pup at the time and I would have had to change all of what you mentioned to install Lithium so decided to not go that route and then we decided to trade for the Chateau 28A so saved the money of switching all together Lol

Tags
agm, axis, batteries