Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2022, 08:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 34sw
State: Louisiana
THOR #5232
Shock upgrade

I have a Thor 33sw / ford550 and was wonder if anyone here has replaced their shocks with the
KING brand shocks
My previous RV was a 99E450 I replaced those with
A set of KONI. They really improved ride quality

Old 06-06-2022, 03:03 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
I put bilstiens on my 550.
They are a little stiff to me, I loved my konis on my class A though.
Terry
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:49 PM   #3

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
I put Koni front and back on my 2017 Miramar. So far so good.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:55 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It's not an upgrade, it's a change.
There isn't anything inferior about the ford supplied shocks. Different, not inferior.

I do not know about king shocks vs koni.

Is it ride, longevity, g force, nose dive, differences you're asking about?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:34 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #25236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateaux View Post
I have a Thor 33sw / ford550 and was wonder if anyone here has replaced their shocks with the
KING brand shocks
A set of KONI. They really improved ride quality

I have run King shocks an my 4x4 and sand rails but I really doubt they are designed for the weight and use on an RV. If they made them they would be really expensive for sure. My old sand rail the King shocks were $1800 a pair.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:40 PM   #6

Model: 35SK
State: Arizona
THOR #26201
I have a 35sk which is basically the same, Best solution I could find was an adjustable shock like the RS9000XL, then you can adjust how soft/firm they are. I just did sumo springs and haven't though about the shocks after adding those, that got rid of the body roll and chatter over small stuff.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:12 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Idaho
THOR #27073
I have a Chateau 35SF with the F550 Super Duty diesel. Is your chassis the same? If so, what model of Koni's did you use? I can't seem to find their model for this chassis.

Also, I want to replace the front shocks and when my coach is on the levelers, I have measured 24" of extended length on the front shocks. Is this a problem as most shocks I have found for this truck are a little over 20"?
Old 06-07-2022, 11:24 PM   #8

State: Washington
THOR #25236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Collins View Post
I have a Chateau 35SF with the F550 Super Duty diesel. Is your chassis the same? If so, what model of Koni's did you use? I can't seem to find their model for this chassis.

Also, I want to replace the front shocks and when my coach is on the levelers, I have measured 24" of extended length on the front shocks. Is this a problem as most shocks I have found for this truck are a little over 20"?

I would contact Koni to get the right shocks for your coach.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #9

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I just installed the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks on my '20 Magnitude SV34. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet but the difference in the stock shocks vs the RS9000XL shocks are clearly visible.

The Rancho's are significantly larger in diameter at 2.75" vs 2.0" for the stock shocks. They also have 9 dampening adjustments from soft to firm to dial in the ride to where it is best for road conditions, weight, etc.

The adjustment knobs are fairly accessible so it is no a stretch to pull off at a rest stop and make an adjustment but once they are dialed in I suspect I won't change them much. The adjustability is why I went with the Rancho's vs the Bilstein's.

I originally wasn't going to make any major changes to the suspension but since we are planning on going to Alaska next year and Colorado this year, I decided to make some changes.

I am also considering upgrading one or both sway bars. An 1/8" increase in diameter can improve handling by 30%. The front sway bar is about 1.5" but I was surprised when I measured the rear (where all the weight and height is) and it is only 1 1/4". The aftermarket bars are 1 1/2".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.22.10 AM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	38132  
Old 06-15-2022, 02:51 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I just installed the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks on my '20 Magnitude SV34. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet but the difference in the stock shocks vs the RS9000XL shocks are clearly visible.

The Rancho's are significantly larger in diameter at 2.75" vs 2.0" for the stock shocks. They also have 9 dampening adjustments from soft to firm to dial in the ride to where it is best for road conditions, weight, etc.

The adjustment knobs are fairly accessible so it is no a stretch to pull off at a rest stop and make an adjustment but once they are dialed in I suspect I won't change them much. The adjustability is why I went with the Rancho's vs the Bilstein's.

I originally wasn't going to make any major changes to the suspension but since we are planning on going to Alaska next year and Colorado this year, I decided to make some changes.

I am also considering upgrading one or both sway bars. An 1/8" increase in diameter can improve handling by 30%. The front sway bar is about 1.5" but I was surprised when I measured the rear (where all the weight and height is) and it is only 1 1/4". The aftermarket bars are 1 1/2".
Too bad their vehicle selection system does not include E-Series or F53 chassis.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:16 PM   #11

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Too bad their vehicle selection system does not include E-Series or F53 chassis.

It is too bad. I guess there is less of a market for them outside the truck chassis space.

I saw a Magnitude review with the Bilstein’s and another Magnitude with the Rancho’s. The adjustability and body size sold me.

I saw other reviews where people thought the Bilstein’s were than stock but a little more firm than some liked. Having the adjustability is a big bonus to get the ride best for a specific driver and vehicle.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:15 PM   #12

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
[QUOTE=Chateaux;348914]I have a Thor 33sw / ford550 and was wonder if anyone here has replaced their shocks with the
KING brand shocks
A set of KONI. They really improved ride quality[/QUOT Not familiar with that brand. I put Bilstein shocks on my 2018 Windsport 29m and have been VERY satisfied!!!! Bob Trice
Old 06-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #13

THOR #12751
I just did my first run after replacing the stock shocks in my '20 Magnitude SV34. Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks . I only did about 80 miles but I felt the ride was better over the stock... especially over bridge transitions.

I started off with them on setting #6. I will probably try them on #5 and #7 as well to see if I can notice a difference and then settle in on the final setting.

I also just finished upgrading the rear sway bar with a Roadmaster bar. I didn't plan on it originally but I felt like there was still a little sway in the back end... although the Sumo Springs helped. When I measured the stock sway bars I found the front was 1 1/2" but the rear was only 1 1/4". That seems a little crazy since the weight and height is in the back of the chassis and I would expect a larger bar in the rear.

Roadmaster offered two 1 1/2" sway bar options for the F-550. The differences in Roadmaster components are visibly obvious as well as weight. We'll see how she rides and handles the next time I'm out.

I looked at the Hellwig bar but they are only making them to order for the F-550 (8 - 12 weeks) and the Hellwig rear bar is only 1 3/8".

I'm trying to get the ride and handling as best as it can be before we head to Alaska in 2023 and some rougher road conditions.