Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
SiriusXM solution with Axxera AV615BHM

We've had SiriusXM in our cars for years, but never had one of the "portable" units before. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM Onyx Plus Satellite Radio Receiver would work with the Axxera AV615BHM? Can I plug in to the Aux outlet on the front? Or, is there another model people are installing with these Axxera radios?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
It should work fine. I used one similar to the Onyx for years and am waiting for one of the online deals for a Starmate model.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #3

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
It should work fine. I used one similar to the Onyx for years and am waiting for one of the online deals for a Starmate model.
Thanks for the response. 👍🏻
Old 05-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #4

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
What about Bluetooth? I can't remember if the POS Axxera will allow Bluetooth connectivity?

I upgraded to a pioneer unit that has Bluetooth, so I have XM and installed the app. I can stream XM from my phone, thru my pioneer and it works great.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57 AM   #5

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
We've had SiriusXM in our cars for years, but never had one of the "portable" units before. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM Onyx Plus Satellite Radio Receiver would work with the Axxera AV615BHM? Can I plug in to the Aux outlet on the front? Or, is there another model people are installing with these Axxera radios?
I have an old XM2Go unit that I plug in to the AUX on the Axxera and it works fine as long as I have the magnet antenna in the right spot. I also use my IPOD.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I have the Onyx and it works fine with both the AV614 and AV615. On the AV614 I was able to connect thee radio into the AV2 on the back of the radio. Since my AV614 got swapped out and replaced with a AV615 under warranty I have to use the Aux port on the front of the radio with the AV port on the rear being used for my rear camera mic.

You can also connect into the Sirius app using blue tooth however that will eat up a data plan while rolling down the road and I believe Sirius web access is an additional monthly charge.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
THOR #3761
Dave and the others are correct. We used the front Aux port of our Axxera AV614BH for our Onyx receiver (until we stopped using SiriusXM.) The real trick is getting the Aux input to play music while watching the toad in the rear view camera. For that, you need to press the Menu button, then select the Aux input, make sure you hear your music, then press the Mode button until Camera comes up.

Bluetooth will work also, but I don't believe the Onyx has Bluetooth. I do use my phone to play music and also to get the GPS directions via Bluetooth and it is basically the same process as described for the Aux input.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Dave and the others are correct. We used the front Aux port of our Axxera AV614BH for our Onyx receiver (until we stopped using SiriusXM.) The real trick is getting the Aux input to play music while watching the toad in the rear view camera. For that, you need to press the Menu button, then select the Aux input, make sure you hear your music, then press the Mode button until Camera comes up.

Bluetooth will work also, but I don't believe the Onyx has Bluetooth. I do use my phone to play music and also to get the GPS directions via Bluetooth and it is basically the same process as described for the Aux input.
The AV615 is different than the AV614. On the AV615 bring up Aux and then touch the camera icon on screen to view the camera. Aux volume can be changed while viewing the camera.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
What about Bluetooth? I can't remember if the POS Axxera will allow Bluetooth connectivity?

I upgraded to a pioneer unit that has Bluetooth, so I have XM and installed the app. I can stream XM from my phone, thru my pioneer and it works great.
The POS Axxera does have Bluetooth & I can play music from my iPhone, so the XM app would be an option, but I don't have unlimited data...
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #10

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I have used an XM receiver and plugged it into the AUX port, that works fine and I can still use the cameras and adjust the volume, etc.

If the XM rcvr has Bluetooth that would work as well. I use the XM app and stream from my phone. If you are not using the cameras in that mode, the display on the radio shows what is currently playing. That works the same for iHeartradio as well (there is shows the station currently played).

I don't know if any of their receivers have Bluetooth though.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #11

THOR #6523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioRanger View Post
I have used an XM receiver and plugged it into the AUX port, that works fine and I can still use the cameras and adjust the volume, etc.

If the XM rcvr has Bluetooth that would work as well. I use the XM app and stream from my phone. If you are not using the cameras in that mode, the display on the radio shows what is currently playing. That works the same for iHeartradio as well (there is shows the station currently played).

I don't know if any of their receivers have Bluetooth though.

John
It sounds like from the responses that the Onyx unit will work with my Axxera and I can just plug in on the front. XM over Bluetooth isn't an option since I don't have unlimited data in my phone.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
We connected the ONYX to the rear AUX audio port, then connected an output from the rear camera switch to the AUX rear video in.

This way I can see the rear view camera at all times, instead of a blue screen showing s DVD warning....
Old 05-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #13

THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
The AV615 is different than the AV614. On the AV615 bring up Aux and then touch the camera icon on screen to view the camera. Aux volume can be changed while viewing the camera.

It must be nice! I guess they listened to customers and made an improvement.
FMCA - F457085
Old 05-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #14

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #2757
Quote:
Good morning! I have the Windsport 29M and I have the SiriusXM portable and yes you can plug her in the front AUX...enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_164715.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	4832   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_164905.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	4833  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_165205.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	4834  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
It must be nice! I guess they listened to customers and made an improvement.
If your referring to Thor, no they did not listen to customers. Axxerra quit making the AV614 and that is why my last (second) AV614 was replaced with an AV615 under the extended warranty. Although it is still a low end unit it is far superior to the AV614 is some regards.
FMCA - F432054
Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #16

THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
If your referring to Thor, no they did not listen to customers. Axxerra quit making the AV614 and that is why my last (second) AV614 was replaced with an AV615 under the extended warranty. Although it is still a low end unit it is far superior to the AV614 is some regards.
I was referring to Axxera (or whoever makes those) but it sounds like the AV615 is an upgrade to the AV614 as well as the new model.
FMCA - F457085
Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
I don't think my Axxera is all that bad. The only improvement I see would be is if you could turn the display to face the driver. When you look direct on the video is bright, but like some TVs, when you look at an angle it appears dark.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
I didn't realize that Axxera made televisions but that is what is replacing Seikis in the new models.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Quote:
The POS Axxera does have Bluetooth & I can play music from my iPhone, so the XM app would be an option, but I don't have unlimited data...
Hey Tex,

I don't have unlimited data either, if you stream on the network, it uses very little data. So far, I've found it to be cheaper then activating another radio on my account. To stream music off an existing radio is only $4.00 per month.

Plus, you can turn off the turn the app and and off with XM in the fall if you aren't using year round.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #20
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Good morning! I have the Windsport 29M and I have the SiriusXM portable and yes you can plug her in the front AUX...enjoy
Dino where did you mount the antenna for the XM radio?