Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29M
State: Texas
THOR #2757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
Dino where did you mount the antenna for the XM radio?
Check it out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_164905.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	4839  

2012 Jeep Liberty Sport 4X4 (Toad)
FMCA: F463694
DinoC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:22 PM   #22

THOR #2757
Quote:
Dino where did you mount the antenna for the XM radio?
I mounted the antenna on the roof of the RV, drilled a hole on the driver's side near the top of the window.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #23
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
Check it out...
I may be missing something but I don't see the antenna.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #24

THOR #2757
Quote:
I may be missing something but I don't see the antenna.
Sent the inside pic...sorry...mounted the antenna up on the roof on a 6X6 steel plate...drilled a hole just above the window on the driver's side...ran the cord along the "A" pillar, under the dash then up to the unit.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #25
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoC41 View Post
I mounted the antenna on the roof of the RV, drilled a hole on the driver's side near the top of the window.

Ok thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #26

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
If your referring to Thor, no they did not listen to customers. Axxerra quit making the AV614 and that is why my last (second) AV614 was replaced with an AV615 under the extended warranty. Although it is still a low end unit it is far superior to the AV614 is some regards.
dstankov, where and how did you place your antenna?
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #27

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
dstankov, where and how did you place your antenna?
Not dstankov, however we placed ours under the mattress on the drop down bed over the driver's and passengers area.

Works great, no signal loss, and we can still lower and raise the bed as normal.

Also, no drilling of roof is necessary!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #28

THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Not dstankov, however we placed ours under the mattress on the drop down bed over the driver's and passengers area.

Works great, no signal loss, and we can still lower and raise the bed as normal.

Also, no drilling of roof is necessary!
Thanks, Mo_Mike, I might give that a try. I have an Onyx Plus on order direct from Siriusxm, should be here in a few days. Would really like to avoid any more holes in the roof, if possible. Sorry, I misread and thought it was dstankov who had posted the pictures. That is a nice looking set-up.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 08-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
Thanks, Mo_Mike, I might give that a try. I have an Onyx Plus on order direct from Siriusxm, should be here in a few days. Would really like to avoid any more holes in the roof, if possible. Sorry, I misread and thought it was dstankov who had posted the pictures. That is a nice looking set-up.
No, in this thread, that was dstankov that posted the pictures.. We have done something very similar in the ONYX XM connected to the rear audio/video input to the AXXERA. I also connected the backup camera from our VEGAS to the video input of that connection. Then shorted the VIDEO interlock to ground, so I can have the camera outputs show on the AXXERA screen whenever we are on XM. (This beats the warning about viewing DVDs while in motion on the whole time we are listening to SIRIUS/XM)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
The rear camera display on the Axxera is almost impossible to see if I am wearing polarized sun glasses. Without the glasses, its pretty visible, even in bright daylight.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #31

State: Washington
THOR #6097
I mounted a XM onyx mount in my Quantum. It is wired into the 12volt system. I ran a short stereo cord from the mount into the dash and back out next to the Receiver. This works great. I didn't want to try running an outside antenna so I had a home antenna that I mounted up in the overhead window above the front sleeper. Now all I do when we leave town is grab the onyx off the patio and stick in the holder. Next step is to replace the crappy speakers.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #32

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Virginia
THOR #9303
Replacements for AV615BHM with SXM and NAV

Dopes anyone recommend a good replacement for the AV615BHM that has both SXM and Navigation and still operated the rear camera, etc. I do not want to do a bunch of add-ons like ONYX and portable NAV systems.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #33

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: New Jersey
THOR #8445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbest1va View Post
Dopes anyone recommend a good replacement for the AV615BHM that has both SXM and Navigation and still operated the rear camera, etc. I do not want to do a bunch of add-ons like ONYX and portable NAV systems.

Me too!
Old 10-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #34

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
We've had SiriusXM in our cars for years, but never had one of the "portable" units before. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM Onyx Plus Satellite Radio Receiver would work with the Axxera AV615BHM? Can I plug in to the Aux outlet on the front? Or, is there another model people are installing with these Axxera radios?
Yes, we use a portable unit and it works as designed.
Front aux plug OR transmit to a radio freq.
Antenna lying on the dash at the windshield.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #35

THOR #8503
Tupelo, I did the same thing. Works fine.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
At lest I've learned that the Onyx that is gathering dust in my desk, will soon have a new home!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 PM   #37

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Axxera actually makes one now that has the nav and Sirius in it. Look on Crutchfields website. Looking at the pictures it looks like it may even use the same wiring plugs as the others, so you wouldn't have to cut and splice all the wires.

We already have the 7" rv Garmin and the onyx mounted in our Chateau or I would buy one myself. I really don't care for all the stuff on my dash either.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #38

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #8546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAxis View Post
We've had SiriusXM in our cars for years, but never had one of the "portable" units before. Does anyone know if the SiriusXM Onyx Plus Satellite Radio Receiver would work with the Axxera AV615BHM? Can I plug in to the Aux outlet on the front? Or, is there another model people are installing with these Axxera radios?

I have used a similar SiriusXM add-on in my work trucks for some time. I am pretty sure that there is an auxiliary cable connection out of the Sirius. But there has to be an auxiliary input jack on any radio you want connected in a pseudo hard-wired manner. It is also just one more little wire snaking across your dash and getting in the way of stuff.

But these little Sirius boxes are REALLY designed to transmit a low power FM signal wirelessly, that you have to tune your vehicles radio to receive. The frequencies are easily selectable on the Sirius units, but I have found that if you drive far enough in areas with enough FM radios stations in the area, that there is a LOT of crosstalk, making frequent adjustments of the Sirius necessary. It’s kind of a pain, and probably something you want the Co-pilot doing on the fly, because its just another distraction from the road that you don’t need. For my money (and I really am considering it too), after all of the add-on SiriusXM hassles, I would consider changing out the radio for something that is satellite capable. Think Crutchfield.com.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #39

Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
There is an optional wired FM connector as well, that is what I bought. When I hooked it into my aux input it was only coming out of two speakers, in mono. With the wired FM there is no outside interference, ours is on the same channel all the time, it will overpower any aired signal.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #40

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #8546
That is good news. My only remaining questions about buying this for an RV are twofold: (1) The GPS is probably not 'RV' friendly like the stand-alone Garmins are, correct? (2) I have had issues before at Crutchfield (Blaupunkt in that case) when they say in the ad that the unit is, "compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner." This DOES NOT MEAN that the unit is a satellite receiver, only that (for a fee, of course), an ADDITIONAL Sirius Tuner can be added and connected to it.

Some time ago, I upgraded my dash radio in a Mercedes Sprinter to get some of these extra features. When I found out how much more it would cost me to add the tuner, to get full satellite use, and that the GPS was not directly compatible with Sirius' live traffic GPS (which is AWESOME btw), I wound up just using the SiriusXM App on my smartphone, and using the Bluetooth connection to my radio (works in my Miramar on the Axxera too). This without all the wiring spaghetti across the dash, plus, the APP interrupts Sirius on telephone calls too. In this manner, all of my music library on the smart phone is also available in the coach.

Fun with electrons!