Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2023, 12:53 AM   #81
MLP

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
That is wicked strength. I wonder how much that Velcro cost? I spent $8.

Here is picture of the back of my oldest Samsung Smart TV with a Visio Sound bar mounted to the swivel bracket. I bought the steel plates from HD the Orange store for $.80 cents each. I considered doing the same for Main RV TV but the Visio Bar has no mounting holes, only slots to hang on.

My plan is to eventually run the exposed wires behind the wall, but to do so I have to remove the mount & TV off the wall. I wanted to make sure I like the Visio which I do. I have plenty of slack on all of the cables.
I had to do this in out S&B master bedroom. I did not care if the wires showed. My YY carbon unit did. Guess who had their way. Well over one year later after removing the TV form the wall and getting the wires behind the wall, the audio optical cable failed. I just got rid of about ten or more I collected over the years two weeks or so prior when I cleaned out some of the garage cabinets. Go figure. So I purchased another and had to pull the TV off the wall again to pull the old cable and install the new one.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #82

State: New York
THOR #18343
Quote:
Other options, just buy a Roku device or Apple TV device. I am sure Google TV would have a device as well.

I have Roku Stick, in my Navigator and can watch You Tube TV or anything else that is available on Roku box. No need to swap TVs unless they are just junk. To which most TVs today are all Smart TVs and they have access to all you need. i.e. I love Roku and have a box for all my TVs, but I would never buy a Roku TV.

Why not? I’ve owned one for four years now! Have never had an issue with it! Also have a TiVo box which is a total piece of. Rap compared to the Roku TV!
Old 05-25-2023, 12:40 PM   #83

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msdpok View Post
Why not? I’ve owned one for four years now! Have never had an issue with it! Also have a TiVo box which is a total piece of. Rap compared to the Roku TV!
For me I don't want my TV locked to Roku, I like to carry my Roku device with me to use on other TVs and my setup is already done (plug and play), generally the quality of a Roku TV is not a high end TV. However my showstopper is prolly I am a Samsung Nut!! We have the luxury of Samsung apps & Roku TV apps on our Samsung TV. With that said I am a Roku Device Nut too, maybe a Roku TV hater. I have 7 Samsung TVs, and 8 Roku Devices (the Firestick in Navigator is on none Samsung TVs).

FWIW, I don't think you have trouble with any modern TV over a 4 year span, even the Hisense TVs that Best Buy were selling for $79 the other day. I just don't want one and would never buy one was my point. If you gave me a free 65" Roku TV, I am not going to take down my 65" Samsung TV and put it up, whereas I would gladly mount that Samsung if proposition were reversed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:08 PM   #84
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
For me I don't want my TV locked to Roku, I like to carry my Roku device with me to use on other TVs and my setup is already done (plug and play), generally the quality of a Roku TV is not a high end TV. However my showstopper is prolly I am a Samsung Nut!! We have the luxury of Samsung apps & Roku TV apps on our Samsung TV. With that said I am a Roku Device Nut too, maybe a Roku TV hater. I have 7 Samsung TVs, and 8 Roku Devices (the Firestick in Navigator is on none Samsung TVs).

FWIW, I don't think you have trouble with any modern TV over a 4 year span, even the Hisense TVs that Best Buy were selling for $79 the other day. I just don't want one and would never buy one was my point. If you gave me a free 65" Roku TV, I am not going to take down my 65" Samsung TV and put it up, whereas I would gladly mount that Samsung if proposition were reversed.
A Roku device will not provide you with an OTA TV guide for the area you are in. That is the main reason for a Roku TV. Otherwise it's just smart TV vs any APP installing standalone device.

BTW, did you see that Roku is making their own TVs now, instead of just licensing the "smarts" to other TV manufacturers such as TCL amd Insignia?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:16 PM   #85

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
A Roku device will not provide you with an OTA TV guide for the area you are in. That is the main reason for a Roku TV. Otherwise it's just smart TV vs any APP installing standalone device.

That is true with my Roku devices, but my all my Samsung TVs come with free Samsung TV+ that has all of the local channels and hundreds more that include TV Guide. Additionally at home and in the RV, all my TVs (Samsungs and Insignias) have a direct TV OTA source that has a TV Guide as well.

BTW, did you see that Roku is making their own TVs now, instead of just licensing the "smarts" to other TV manufacturers such as TCL and Insignia?
No I did not know Roku was making their own TVs. I expect some major shake ups and consolidation related to Streaming Technology. A few years ago, I could barely find YouTube TV on the list of ESPN cable operators to verify that I had subscription to watch some sports content. Now not only is YouTube TV listed on front page of ESPN/Activate, some cable companies are dumping their wired cable services and contracted their customers with streaming services through YouTube TV. YouTube TV is demanding a premium right now because they have simply the best TV plans ever. Simple pricing, no haggling and none of that 1 year promotions that end and you have to start all over

So with high o9ur end Samsungs, Roku devices, YouTube TV and T Mobile Home Internet; we have our home watching experience 24/7 no matter where we are. I hadn't even talked about how they easily they integrate with our Samsung phones nor the wireless YouTube casting direct from computer to TV. Just really awesome. Somebody talk about something and in secs it is on TV streaming.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #86
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
That is true with my Roku devices, but my all my Samsung TVs come with free Samsung TV+ that has all of the local channels and hundreds more that include TV Guide. Additionally at home and in the RV, all my TVs (Samsungs and Insignias) have a direct TV OTA source that has a TV Guide as well..
Are you sure? My Samsung TV with Samsung TV+ starts at channel 1000 and goes through 1534 with ZERO LOCAL CHANNELS. It does have live streaming of network news feeds just like Roku or any other smart TV/device with their own streaming line-up. I can neither confirm or deny that it has an OTA TV guide like Roku TVs do as it is in my house and we are too far away to pick up OTA TV without a tall tower and amplifiers.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:39 PM   #87

THOR #13058
Quote:
Are you sure? My Samsung TV with Samsung TV+ starts at channel 1000 and goes through 1534 with ZERO LOCAL CHANNELS. It does have live streaming of network news feeds just like Roku or any other smart TV/device with their own streaming line-up. I can neither confirm or deny that it has an OTA TV guide like Roku TVs do as it is in my house and we are too far away to pick up OTA TV without a tall tower and amplifiers.
I am 100% sure; unless there is some money involved?

I think the way it works is the TV has both OTA source inputs and the Samsung TV+ App. If you have the OTA signal tuned in, then the Samsung TV automatically appends to the channels displayed on the Guide for Samsung TV+

In pictures; I am showing where I selected the Samsung TV+ app and then guide to show both OTA & TV Plus channels. It is all seamless to us, but of course no OTA signal it will not show.

When we first go to a new area, YouTube TV normally ask if we want the local local OTA or stick with the DFW local stations. I always keep YouTube TV on Dallas local TV and the OTA for the local local OTA, our King Omni Antenna(s) pick up about 40 miles. I had a portable King if the roof top King can't quite get the signals needed for local.

Note: There is separate Live TV app on the Smart TV screen that will only show the Cable or OTA source on the coax and no Samsung TV+
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230525_145803.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	42074   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230525_145547.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	42075  

Old 05-25-2023, 09:51 PM   #88
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I am 100% sure; unless there is some money involved?

I think the way it works is the TV has both OTA source inputs and the Samsung TV+ App. If you have the OTA signal tuned in, then the Samsung TV automatically appends to the channels displayed on the Guide for Samsung TV+

In pictures; I am showing where I selected the Samsung TV+ app and then guide to show both OTA & TV Plus channels. It is all seamless to us, but of course no OTA signal it will not show.

When we first go to a new area, YouTube TV normally ask if we want the local local OTA or stick with the DFW local stations. I always keep YouTube TV on Dallas local TV and the OTA for the local local OTA, our King Omni Antenna(s) pick up about 40 miles. I had a portable King if the roof top King can't quite get the signals needed for local.

Note: There is separate Live TV app on the Smart TV screen that will only show the Cable or OTA source on the coax and no Samsung TV+

OK, so Samsung TV+ does NOT stream local channels. just displays them in the integrated guide.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:14 PM   #89

THOR #13058
Quote:
OK, so Samsung TV+ does NOT stream local channels. just displays them in the integrated guide.
Correct does not stream the local channels, but does display them on the integrated guide, and show them when flipping channels on Samsung TV+

So they have created the perception for the layman user that it is all part of Samsung TV+ No doubt a Smart TV