Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2023, 04:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Smart TVs In RVs

Other options, just buy a Roku device or Apple TV device. I am sure Google TV would have a device as well.

I have Roku Stick, in my Navigator and can watch You Tube TV or anything else that is available on Roku box. No need to swap TVs unless they are just junk. To which most TVs today are all Smart TVs and they have access to all you need. i.e. I love Roku and have a box for all my TVs, but I would never buy a Roku TV.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I like Vizio
I have a 70” in my home & love it for the price
IMHO…Vizio is easier to manage than Roku brand tv
Vizio 32” & 40” smart tv is abt $150-170

Currently I have 2 Seiki & 1 Roku in my rig
And I’m ready to replace all with Vizio
Most of my tv viewing in RV is DISHnet with Winegard Trav’ler
Old 05-10-2023, 05:23 PM   #3

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryD View Post
I use a central media server I built which currently streams a signal thru a splitter to the 3 tvs. Problem is that it can only send the same signal. If I move the client onto the tv then the server can stream signals to each tv independently. Allowing the kids to watch one stream and me another. I can do this by adding a streaming input device to the current tv's or just upgrade to a newer, better tv with it built in.
I do that in my RV but streaming from my Samsung Smart TV which also has the Roku Ultra box connected via HDMI. I have a HDMI splitter that connects the Main TV (Samsung 40") to the other TVs in RVs via the other TVs HDMI Input 1. Doesn't matter if I wish to source local OTA, Cable, Samsung Smart TV stream, or my Roku Ultra box stream.

Any brand of TV like Visio or Sony can do the same as Samsung. I was just pointing out for he cost of a cheap Roku box you don't have to replace a TV. If you have Wifi and Roku box, you can make any TV a Smart TV even though it may already be a Smart.

i.e. my wife may stream Netflix via the Samsung Smart TV and I may choose to stream Netflix via the Roku Ultra. Roku does a 100s more channels than a Smart TV. i.e. I can stream our Church live via Roku, but not via our Smart TV.

My underlying point, was to buy best quality TV for viewing, you can easily get the other stuff for any TV, that is why I never considered buying say a Google TV or Roku TV, although I love Roku. I have 7 of those Roku boxes on my account
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-11-2023, 01:19 AM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
I'm looking at upgrading all 3 tv's on my SV34 to ones that have google built in. Anyone else swap? Were you able to go to a larger size or are they pretty much as big as you can go ?
My ACE 30.3 has 1 40" and 2 32" AxxERA TVs. The TVs are NOT "SMART", Only able to receive Over the air and Cable signals. Can Also hook up any HDMI device that can stream. The 32" TVs are in the bedroom and the outside TV. While I might be able shoehorn larger replacements, I do not see the point since I would only be able to go 2 or 3 inches bigger at most. Just not enough extra screen space to justify a larger TV. Another consideration is that that next size up for each of the TVs is too large to fit in the space allowed. For me the only consideration is the ability stream content from services like Amazon or Netflix wirelessly connecting to my 5G cellular router.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 01:35 AM   #5

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
My ACE 30.3 has 1 40" and 2 32" AxxERA TVs. The TVs are NOT "SMART", Only able to receive Over the air and Cable signals. Can Also hook up any HDMI device that can stream. The 32" TVs are in the bedroom and the outside TV. While I might be able shoehorn larger replacements, I do not see the point since I would only be able to go 2 or 3 inches bigger at most. Just not enough extra screen space to justify a larger TV. Another consideration is that that next size up for each of the TVs is too large to fit in the space allowed. For me the only consideration is the ability stream content from services like Amazon or Netflix wirelessly connecting to my 5G cellular router.
Exactly. $30 can make any TV Smart. https://www.ebay.com/itm/26625311187...Bk9SR7Lo04aBYg

My OEM 40" Insiginia Main TV was actually only 39"; so when I upgraded to a Samsung 40", I actually gained 1" by luck But I love it. I also added a Vizio Sound bar that had the woofer built in, sounds great. I got pictures of everything in my RV except for the New Samsung TV and the Vizio Sound bar; so you gonna have to trust me
Old 05-11-2023, 01:41 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Smart tv's have a history of
Abandoning their smart.

Buy the tv and USB stick you like.

My Amazon tv does voice things, 4k, cheap.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 02:01 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Google's streaming hardware is Chromecast. The downside of buying a dedicated "smart TV" is you're stuck with potentially proprietary hardware that might be obsolete in a year or two.

Nearly all TVs today have at least one HDMI port, usually two or possibly three or more. Just buy a basic TV and add a streaming stick. Amazon - Fire TV Stick, Google - Chromecast, Roku. Then there's Apple TV, but requires a monthly subscription.

Most of the plug in HDMI devices are around $30... and they can be updated to some degree. Each device is specific what apps can be installed on them, so check what's available before buying.

I use Android phones and I've always preferred the Fire Stick over Roku because I can install "unauthorized" apps (Geek alert: Fire Stick uses Android OS, Roku is C based).

But if just streaming everyday stuff, most any HDMI pluggable "stick" will make your basic TV a smart TV.
Old 05-11-2023, 02:27 AM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Google's streaming hardware is Chromecast. The downside of buying a dedicated "smart TV" is you're stuck with potentially proprietary hardware that might be obsolete in a year or two.

Nearly all TVs today have at least one HDMI port, usually two or possibly three or more. Just buy a basic TV and add a streaming stick. Amazon - Fire TV Stick, Google - Chromecast, Roku. Then there's Apple TV, but requires a monthly subscription.

Most of the plug in HDMI devices are around $30... and they can be updated to some degree. Each device is specific what apps can be installed on them, so check what's available before buying.

I use Android phones and I've always preferred the Fire Stick over Roku because I can install "unauthorized" apps (Geek alert: Fire Stick uses Android OS, Roku is C based).

But if just streaming everyday stuff, most any HDMI pluggable "stick" will make your basic TV a smart TV.
Chromecast is what I was missing earlier if you just had to have Google TV. You know you can watch Apple TV with Roku. Sometimes I get the Roku Stick confused with the Firestick. I have Roku stick in my SUV. I like simplicity, if I need a TV, it will be a Samsung, if I need streaming device it will be Roku. All the remotes work with al of the TVs and devices. The Samsung TVs automatically connect to our Samsung Android phones & Roku devices to display pictures and stream. No IT Development required
Old 05-11-2023, 03:18 PM   #9

THOR #13932
There is no advantage to built in smart over stick smart.
None.
Zero.
Not as support or tech needs or anything other.
Sticks are toss and replace.

Old tv is 780 capable, new stick makes it 1080.
Old t.v. has YouTube disabled due to company squabble, stick does not, or is $12 to $40 upgradeable.

Old tv has no DVR, new stick saves 2t.

Do as you like. This info is for folks who consider options. Buy the platform you currently use. Be open to change. I'm not even sure you can buy a quality non-smart tv....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goog...erating_system)

Old 05-11-2023, 03:25 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There is no advantage to built in smart over stick smart.
None.
Zero.
Not as support or tech needs or anything other.
Sticks are toss and replace.

Old tv is 780 capable, new stick makes it 1080.
Old t.v. has YouTube disabled due to company squabble, stick does not, or is $12 to $40 upgradeable.

Old tv has no DVR, new stick saves 2t.

Do as you like. This info is for folks who consider options. Buy the platform you currently use. Be open to change. I'm not even sure you can buy a quality non-smart tv....
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goog...erating_system)
Old 05-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #11

THOR #13932
As I stated, the info was for others. Your mind is reasonably set on a plan.
3,000 people might read this thread who are not set.

I guess our group consternation(and honestly, few responders are understanding the whole'why' of it) is due to changing an entire tv IF you can't go bigger...when a stick will do....

Old 05-11-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geterdun View Post
Roku TVs in both cases due to the integrated OTA TV Guide and massive selection of APPs available to install.
That's what we run in our RV for those very reasons. The cable style OTA TV guide is great.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 05:58 PM   #13

THOR #24216
Samsung TV and Roku stick for ours.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:23 PM   #14

THOR #13932
In my shop is this new 4k, enhances to 8k by extrapolation, 75" LG tv.

Note in the first picture that the tv Wi-Fi is so weak that it can't even gather 35k to get YouTube to show the 240dpi(yup) picture. It finally kicked in at 76k and a 240dpi picture, halting,for,10 seconds about every seven seconds, regrouping, going again.

Note that the roku box connected to the same Wi-Fi as the same tv, roku sitting on the tv, in the same sqft as the tv Wi-Fi pickup, is gathering 20meg(a low for today) and has been testing and running 8ksimulate and 4k hdr Dolby all morning long.

This is how a USB roku or other stick changes a tv from a hopeful 480dpi to a guaranteed 2160hdr and Dolby sound.

Just a proof. An extreme example I just happened to have hanging on my wall.
What I said is fact. A USB or HDMI box can change dpi viewability.

It was this conversation which reminded me I had an extra 4k roku (Amazon days, $18. It's cheaper than buying their best remote alone by about half)which might could cure my sorry smart tv connection. It did cure it. Thus, the mentioned testing.
8k simulate(I can't really tell much between 780 and 8k at any distance) and Nakamichi surround blazing most of today.

That's a 4khdr picture using a roku $40 box($18 on sale) versus a 240dpi picture using the smart tv part of the tv.
And if the roku didnt work my rv came with firestick and chrome (And a roku tv)we don't use. So far I won't have to make the 300ft cat 6 run to the shop.(I've already bought the switch box and cable and trenching tools.)

I would expect weak Wi-Fi signal is the gold standard at many/most rv parks(or I've misread a bunch of one-post-then-gone op's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0511231415_copy_1862x1396.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	41936   Click image for larger version

Name:	0511231414a_copy_1862x1396.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	41937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0511231425_copy_1862x1396.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	41938  

Old 05-11-2023, 09:55 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Duck, that is exactly what happened at my Mom's house. She was wanting the fancy Smart TV upstairs, but I did not know of this desire. My brother heard her say; so he bought her a new Visio Smart TV (because money solves all problems right?)

Anyway they connected to the TV's WifI and they could NOT stream anything. It looked like your 1st picture. They confirmed with AT&T the internet connection upstairs was good as other devices streamed with no problem. So my brother calls Vizio, Vizio then sends a technician to the house and they replaced the TV after a Extender they had didn't do any good. My brother was pissed. A month later I come home and connect one of my Roku boxes from RV to her old TV and my mom was just taken back ( crystal clear streaming pictures). I just wanted to show that the old TV was fine. I then connected to the new Visio with similar results. I eventually got the Vizio TV to work, but I had to buy a high quality Netgear Extender to help the TV's poor wifi capability. Had my brother not bought the Vizio, I would have just bought her a new Samsung and threw in a $30 Roku as a bonus.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:40 PM   #16

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
dont want to get into an argument or get so completely off topic but gents, you're misinformed. Upscaling is not the same the same as resolution. Here's an explanation if you care to read more about it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/427091/wha...aling-on-a-tv/

Second, in the examples above the issue you're facing is thru-put. Doesn't matter how good your tv is if you're streaming across a piss poor network connection. Resolve your connectivity and you'll have a better experience. Anyway, to each their own. Im very happy you have a solution that works well for you. In the end, thats all that matters.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:53 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
We use a Firecube (Amazon), because it works with the 2016 LG 4K 65 inch OLED smart TV through a Sony receiver at home and the three 2016 Axxera 32 inch TVs in the coach. The coach came with a BOB that accepts multiple HDMI inputs. Beside Amazon Prime, we have subscriptions to Paramount+ and Peacock, thanks to to T-Mobile's free Tuesdays. Since the FireCube has Alexa, everything can be done by voice if you push the button on the remote to wake-up Alexia.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:11 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
dont want to get into an argument or get so completely off topic but gents, you're misinformed. Upscaling is not the same the same as resolution. Here's an explanation if you care to read more about it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/427091/wha...aling-on-a-tv/

Second, in the examples above the issue you're facing is thru-put. Doesn't matter how good your tv is if you're streaming across a piss poor network connection. Resolve your connectivity and you'll have a better experience. Anyway, to each their own. Im very happy you have a solution that works well for you. In the end, thats all that matters.
In my example it was thru put capability that was a fault of the new Smart TV that was resolved by a simple $30 Roku box was the point I was trying to make. Quality is define as fitness for use. My Mother did not have to buy or get as a gift a new Smart TV to accomplish what she sought. The fact that she got a new Smart TV just exposed a deficiency on that model and opened her eyes what all the the little Roku box or similar could do to her TV. She would have been fine with her old TV plus a firestick or similar once that was known.

On the other point, I believe you can select resolution you want on Roku and if TV cannot handle it will automatically drop. Likewise, you can have it set to Auto ( my setting) and it will automatically set at the best resolution it can negotiate with the TV without sending an error code.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:52 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Oh... so THIS is where all the other "plug-in smart TV" posts went...
Old 05-12-2023, 12:03 AM   #20

Model: SOB
THOR #27719
AKA "Off Topic" posts from the other thread.