Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 02:59 AM   #21

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's why motorhomes come with onboard generators.
Travel Trailers have to use external generators and if a properly sized one is used the A/C runs fine. It's only when you have a limited power generator that you would need/want a soft start kit. RV A/C manufacturers build their units assuming the RV will be connected to a power supply of sufficient capacity. They do not engineer/build the A/Cs to operate with marginal power that will cause an early demise to their product.
Most camping here isn’t motorhomes.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:01 AM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
If they do it is a stupid assumption for the western US at least. Most camping is in National Parks, National Forests, or on BLM land, very few of which have AC power. Most use trailers or pickup campers that do not have generators.

At $10 it should be standard.
If you don't have a generator why would you need it?

Do you think the A/C manufacturers are going to make "Western US" versions and "Eastern US" versions?

And again: why would A/C manufactures engineer/build the A/Cs to operate with marginal power that will cause an early demise to their product. They build them to be run by power supplies of sufficient capability. It's not their intent for the end user to try to get by on a minimum sized generator.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #23

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If you don't have a generator why would you need it?

Do you think the A/C manufacturers are going to make "Western US" versions and "Eastern US" versions?

And again: why would A/C manufactures engineer/build the A/Cs to operate with marginal power that will cause an early demise to their product. They build them to be run by power supplies of sufficient capability. It's not their intent for the end user to try to get by on a minimum sized generator.
To meet customer needs. $10 is less than $1,000 for an additional 1000 w generator.

Yes, manufactures often offer regional variations; e.g. CA pollution controls.

Time will tell if they wake up to the opportunity.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
The closest we come to dry camping is at racetrack. We usually pull in on Friday night and spend night to race next morning. It beats getting up early to drive 60 to 100 miles then race. The 4000 installed in Vegas runs 15k a/c no issue. I have a Champion RV ready 3500 starting watt generator on racecar trailer. It struggles to start 15k a/c. The bigger capacitor may make it easier.

I do this as the purchase/operating expense is low on Champion, $316 delivered and it runs 9 to 16 hours on 3.5 gallons of gas. The RV generator has 485 hours on it, the champion is at least 10 times that. We have been to multi day races where I stop in morning and late in evening to check oil and fill up seemingly days on end. It is 9th starter cord even though it rearly takes more than 2 pulls to start.

I will order the cheaper of the 2 options and try it.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #25

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
I use the Supco soft start on HOME air conditioners. For 10 bucks, you can't beat it. When a unit gets older, parts start to wear and the unit grabs a little more power to start up. You plug this in parallel with the original capacitor and you're done. If you can find the capacitor on an RV unit, the principal is the same.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #26

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
But many RVs want to use as small a generator as possible. I should have clarified: for RV A/Cs.
The purpose of a hard start or soft start is NOT for you to get by using a small generator. It for running an A/C on a low voltage shore power system to prevent damage.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #27

Model: 2018 Siesta 24ST
State: Ohio
THOR #15089
I started the thread so I thought I should clarify: I also emailed Dometic to clarify whether adding the Supco would invalidate my warranty. They responded that the Penguin II model I have already has a soft start capacitor from the factory, so I'd be gaining nothing. Perhaps this is something manufacturers are starting to do, so check your model before installing.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #28

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
I use the Supco soft start on HOME air conditioners. For 10 bucks, you can't beat it. When a unit gets older, parts start to wear and the unit grabs a little more power to start up. You plug this in parallel with the original capacitor and you're done. If you can find the capacitor on an RV unit, the principal is the same.
Just for clarification, the $10-$15 Supco unit is called a Hard Capacitor. Soft Start is an entirely different thing and very much more costly.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #29

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2777 View Post
I started the thread so I thought I should clarify: I also emailed Dometic to clarify whether adding the Supco would invalidate my warranty. They responded that the Penguin II model I have already has a soft start capacitor from the factory, so I'd be gaining nothing. Perhaps this is something manufacturers are starting to do, so check your model before installing.

All A/C compressors
have a start capacitor. Home or RV. A hard start cap is for an aging compressor or a low voltage condition. You don't add a hard start. You change out the original cap and install the hard start. it's just a start cap with a bigger kick. No such thing as a soft start capacitor. That is another Made up phrase in the RV world started by newbies. Soft Start is a trade mark unit made to help with low voltage conditions and/or borderline amperage availability.
It has lots of electronic parts inside. No need to add one just for a properly designed RV generator system.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:13 PM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Big start capacitor vs ramp up soft start are two different things. I just watched the Micro Aire Easy start. Is impressive. 41 amps down to 17 on 15k btu RV unit. I will order as even the Champion 3500 struggles to start. Not cheap, but considering wear and tear on both A/C, generator and wiring, is worthwhile in my application. It will likely quiet unit startup to degree as well.