Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Arizona
THOR #4868
Solar Install on ACE 30.1

Just looking for a dealer somewhere near Phoenix that sells and installs solar on RVs. If anyone knows of such a dealer that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
I would talk to either: Sun Electronics - Lowest Prices in Solar Panels, Kits, Inverters in Phoenix or https://www.solar-electric.com/ which is in Flagstaff. The one in Flagstaff has an RV repair that does installs for them.
The first gets good recommendations but I haven't dealt with them. I have had good dealings with NAWS in Flagstaff and get propane from the RV repair shop.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:39 PM   #3

THOR #4868
Thank You

Thank you sir! Much appreciated.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:34 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
I am buying a ACE 29.3 in July...I am in the process developing a solar system spec and parts list...for us for mild to mid boondocking.....ideally I might do this in two stages...first a kind of demo setup to see how much we use, then the second phase..our power needs are modest but ideally could run a coffee maker in morning and maybe the microwave for 3-5 a day..

Our unit will come with two batteries and a 1000w, simple inverter.....one thought I have is for stage 1 I install a 2000w inverter with controller and buy a portable solar suitcase...if stage 1 goes well I upgrade the batteries and add panels to the roof (solar panel would be sold on Craigs list)

My other thought for ohase one is to put solar panels on the roof, get a good controller and battery monitor and try a live life with this for a 6-12 month test run without upgrading inverter it batteries.

What are you thinking of? Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 02:51 AM   #5

THOR #4868
Not sure what I need

We've only had our rig a year and have not been boondocking yet, so don't really know what our solar needs are this early in the game. My thought is just to charge batteries and watch a little TV and maybe run an appliance or two. Nothing too hard-core. I would prefer a fixed install over portable though to avoid having to set up something else.

I need to do an assessment of the equipment I intend to run so that I know what size inverter to get. I don't plan on trying to run the A/C off solar, that would just be crazy. Hoping I can get by with a 300-600 watt inverter, not only for cost, but you don't want your batteries to discharge below 50%, and the solar would need to keep up with the drain.

Still lots of homework and forum surfing to get more educated on the whole solar thing. I've watched YouTube videos and they make it look simple because you're seeing it all installed and working. You don't see what went into all that to get it all working!

For now at least I'll put my trust in the generator!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #6007
Thanks....seems like our needs are somewhat similar...I suggest you join the Solar Powered RVs and Boondocking group on Facebook. They have 9000 members and some interesting ideas....I just watched a few more YouTubes, some are quite good...good luck