Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #28540
Solar install wire routing 2016 24SR

Howdy everyone!

I would like to install a few solar panels on our 2016 24SR and I was wondering about the best wire routing from the roof to an accessible 12VDC of sufficient gauge?

The 12VDC dist panel is under the bed in the back, I was thinking about going down through the closet. There also seems to be a chase of some sort in the bathroom, towards the center of the coach.

I was hoping someone here with a 24SR had done this before?

THX,
-John

Old 11-22-2022, 01:03 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Not acquainted with your model but if you have an absorption fridge with a roof vent you can route the wires down the vent “chimney” to the back of the fridge access panel and from there you can go into the basement or behind a cabinet.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:24 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Your panel cables will go through a fuse, then directly to a charge controller. From the charge controller you want the shortest cable run as possible directly to your house batteries to avoid voltage drop. So your charge controller is going to be very close to your house batteries.

I would work backwards from your batteries... find a logical mounting location for the controller... then look for a pathway behind cabinets to the roof (as Pete said, up the reefer chimney). Many class C motorhomes have the controller mounted on the side of a cabinet just inside the door... with batteries under the steps. The cables are ran inside the cabinet to the roof.

Your solar panels don't hook directly into the power center/fused box. Think of solar as an additional charging source for your batteries.
Old 11-22-2022, 04:03 AM   #4

THOR #28540
Thanks for the replies guys! I do have a fridge and I'm sure it has a chimney. The batteries are under the steps and it's all a fairly short run.
I could mount the charge controller by the use/store switch next to the entry door. That will make an extremely short run between the charge controller and the batteries.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsichtbarre View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! I do have a fridge and I'm sure it has a chimney. The batteries are under the steps and it's all a fairly short run.
I could mount the charge controller by the use/store switch next to the entry door. That will make an extremely short run between the charge controller and the batteries.
Our class C came with "solar prep"... MC4 connection on the roof, cable ran through the roof, under the kitchen cabinets and terminated at a 10amp PWM controller... right beside the use/store battery switch. I put 2 100 watt panels on the roof, swapped out the controller for a 40amp MPPT. Then I ran 1/0 AWG cable from the controller to my GC2 6volt batteries under the steps.

I have no plans on trying to run A/C or any heavy amp draws... just want good reliable 12volts, always charged. For that it was simple AND affordable.
Old 11-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #6

THOR #28540
I don't think my 2016 24SR has a "solar prep" option. I work remotely in my interest would be in having solar to run Starlink and my laptop computer. That's a pretty easy workload for solar and an inverter.
I like the idea of routing down through the closet / refrigerator, I'll let you know how it comes out.

Tags
24sr, solar