Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2021, 02:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arizona
THOR #19571
Solar question

I just purchased a pair of flexible 100w solar panels from Eco-worthy. I bought them thinking that I could just affix them straight to the roof of my RV. They look impressive and well made, but the broken English manual that came with them says that they must be installed in (non supplied) metal frame and installed with a space between the panel and the underlying surface.
I am hoping that the manual is for the rigid panels and not the flexible ones as a frame kind of defeats the purpose of buying flexible.

I have an email to the company but no response as of yet. Was wondering if this braintrust might have some further insight.

Old 04-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Any solar panel will work better (more efficiently) and last longer if it's mounted with an air gap under it so that it can stay cooler in the sun.

Generally the whole reason people buy the flexible panels is to mount them directly to the roof though. Just know that they won't last the 20 years that a normal panel would and will likely be less efficient than the specs say due to heat buildup.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:02 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Solar panels do get pretty hot. Having them attached directly to the roof can only add to the heat load inside in the summer. Mounting rigid panels with Z brackets is easy and offers several benefits.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:15 PM   #4

State: Arizona
THOR #19571
Thanks guys. After much research, it appears that the recommendation is an underpayment of plastic cardboard and then eternabond tape is the answer.
Old 04-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Nelson View Post
Thanks guys. After much research, it appears that the recommendation is an underpayment of plastic cardboard and then eternabond tape is the answer.
There have been several posts on this Forum abt suggested ways to mount flex panels to provide for airspace.
One method used plastic corrugated sheets.
IIRC...the flex panels were fasted to the corrugated sheets with simple hardware. Smooth bolt heads on underside, washer+nut on top side (so not to damage roof).
The corrugated sheets were cut slightly larger than flex solar panels
Then the modified panel was fastened to the roof with Eternabond tape around the perimeter.