Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2021, 10:40 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #25465
Question 2022 Chateau 22E roof space for solar?

Yesterday I purchased a 2022 Chateau 22E that is pre-wired as mentioned for the 2018 thread. I don't take delivery for a couple of weeks and have not been able to see a photograph of the 22E ROOF to determine available space for adding solar. Can someone post an image of a typical roof showing the footprint of existing factory installed items?
My LaMesa sales rep told me NOT to buy panels through her company, and I am already to head out to Southern California and Quartzsite, Arizona in early January. My previous solar experts have sold their business so I need details and recommendations for purchasing and installing sufficient panels to boondock to supplement my 4K generator. Thank you in advance. -- CoolJudy

Old 11-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #42

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJudy View Post
Yesterday I purchased a 2022 Chateau 22E that is pre-wired as mentioned for the 2018 thread. I don't take delivery for a couple of weeks and have not been able to see a photograph of the 22E ROOF to determine available space for adding solar. Can someone post an image of a typical roof showing the footprint of existing factory installed items?
My LaMesa sales rep told me NOT to buy panels through her company, and I am already to head out to Southern California and Quartzsite, Arizona in early January. My previous solar experts have sold their business so I need details and recommendations for purchasing and installing sufficient panels to boondock to supplement my 4K generator. Thank you in advance. -- CoolJudy
Have you calculated your power requirements? Boondocking can be as little as running an absorption refrigerator (off of propane/12-volt) and a few LED lights, to trying to run your AC!

After a rough calculation of your "amperes per hour" need, your budget will most likely dictate your eventual path.

Calculate your battery "bank" based on your Amp Hour (AH) needs. Here's possible examples of a 200 AH setup:

Batteries:
Lithium batteries are all the rage now... but at a premium. Two 100 AH lithium batteries (200 useable AH) will cost roughly $1,600.

Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) batteries give you a good balance between storage and price - and are maintenance free like lithium. For 200 useable AH though, you need 400 AH because you can only use 1/2 of the capacity of a lead-acid battery without damaging it. Expect about $800 total.

The lowest tier are "flooded lead-acid" (FLA) batteries. Expect maybe 75% of the cost of AGM batteries.

A note about batteries: You MAY be limited if you're putting batteries under your steps. Note that lithium batteries can be put about anywhere, as can the AGM batteries... BUT you have to run the wiring to that location. Your "stock" solar prep likely terminates wiring under your entry steps - and the 10 Amp controller is likely close by - on the side of the kitchen cabinet in the entryway.

Solar Panels:
Unless someone has gone crazy installing other things on your roof, you should easily have room for three 160 watt solar panels - for 480 watts total.
Basic panels are about a dollar per watt = $480.

Solar Charge Controller
I would suggest a minimum 40 amp "MPPT" solar charge controller.
A basic one costs around $100

The rest is basic mounting hardware and roof tape/lap sealant. Of course installation is extra. Those are just some starting numbers for guidance...
Old 11-28-2021, 07:36 AM   #43

Model: Chateau 22E
State: California
THOR #25465
I need to do my homework

Chateau_Nomad, Thank you for the detailed response. I haven't taken delivery of my 2022 Chateau 22E, so I'm just beginning my research. I have downloaded the Thor Resources pages which might start me out with the existing electrical draws. Then I need to itemize what electrical items I will carry in my rig. Once I do the math, I will start looking for panels and controllers that will work with the 22E.