Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Interesting. My question is whether he has an AGS system and was it working? If we don't have shorepower; our AGS is on constantly; even when driving because it may start to turn on the ACs if the rear of coach gets to hot.

Back to my subtle push of how use of Solar as charger might be a detriment in certain situations is that if you may not otherwise get to see or use your standard AGS system enough to ensure that it is working as it should. I kind of get a thrill / rush when I can be outside talking with someone and my genset kicks on.

Having said that, if it were an option on my rig, I think I would take it. It was not an option for my Sunstar 29ve, nor the AGS for that matter. So I had the dealer installed the EC-30 AGS not seeing any need for Solar.
No ags

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:22 PM   #22

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If you always stay at campgrounds with full hookups, never boondock and have an electric hookup at home/storage... why would you need solar? If you eat out every meal (like today's kids) why do you need a stove in your house? If you live in a condo where you pay to have someone cut your grass, why buy a lawnmower?

Simple "need analysis"...
I don't always stay at campgrounds with full hookups. My last camping trip at a State Park in Colorado was without any service (see picture). We stayed there 4 days. We frequently will camp overnight at Rest Areas, a Wal Mart etc with no hookups and in most case not even need the generator unless it is too hot. The batteries are always 100% charged from the Alternator. When staying multiple days in same location, we can go 2 days off a full charge, but I let the genset run 2 hours everyday anyway to top batteries back up to 12.9 VDC.

What you may be missing is that in my view, I bought a AGS to do exactly what Solar can do but the AGS only fires up when the demand is needed which 80% of time it is not. Right now I gain nothing and see no advantage with Solar, in fact; I view as a net loss because if I had solar I would use my genset less and have yet something else to tinker with; and that I don't need.

We spent 4 days at this State Park with zero utilities. Genset ran by itself usually early afternoon for 2 hours or so and topped the batteries if needed. It is debatable that if I was relying on Solar what impacts we would have had from the trees. Also, I believe all solar owners will need genset as backup related to weather? If so; your back up is my primary.

Like I told you on the other thread, I don't want ANYTHING else on my roof anyway. My electrical system as designed fulfills all our needs. I have never had the new batteries under 12.5vdc; so I have no need to charge with solar. When my genset does start to charge for me that is considered a good thing and I wish I could get it to start more because I would like to use my genset more, if that makes sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20211009_074016_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	34914  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Darn it! Now we need ANOTHER THREAD...

Do you need THREE TVs in your motorhome??

Not naming anyone in particular... "cough cough" dk-

A great example of "Sometimes it's NOT necessarily what you need, it's what you've EARNED to create a comfortable existence!!
Old 11-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
We boon dock mostly about 75% of the time. Our motor home came solar prepped just need to add the panel. But after doing some research on the cost of the panels and adding 2 more 6v batteries it is cheaper to just keep using the Yamaha 2000iv generator we have, it will run for 13 hours on a gallon of gas and our coach has the AGS.
With that said, adding the panels and 2 more batteries is on the list of upgrades, just not very high on the list.
The external generator is a good choice and lasts a long time..
01) we don't have storage
02) pain lugging gas
03) heavy
04) oil changes
05) extra weight
06) wife likes coffee before quiet houses
07) wife hated starting
08) if AC used socks gas
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Hi what is the highest AH on a group 31 AGM & WHO makes???
I found this
Group 31 Dual-Purpose AGM Battery, 105 Amp Hours also
Can a 250 AH group 31 fit in Vegas or all same size and price issue?

6v and 12v AGM batteries are available in 1 to 250 amp hour range. You can use AGM batteries in a variety of applications including solar battery banks, utility and all terrain vehicles, golf carts, and motorcycles.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #26

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
No ags
Got it, that was the genesis of this thread as on another active thread a fellow 2018 Windsport owner had dead batteries and required a jump. We were trying to determine if they had AGS and just learned that they did not either.

No one asked them if they had solar? My guess is no on that front as well.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #20900
Quote:

Different strokes for different folks.
that is what Atreis always says...

That's because it's true! So many times, online, people think there is One Right Answer for all, when there isn't.

Anyway, really don't think you need solar. For others, it's a great benefit. *shrug*
Old 11-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Darn it! Now we need ANOTHER THREAD...

Do you need THREE TVs in your motorhome??

Not naming anyone in particular... "cough cough" dk-

A great example of "Sometimes it's NOT necessarily what you need, it's what you've EARNED to create a comfortable existence!!
We absolutely need 3 TVs, we ruled the Baystar Sport 2813 out because it did not have an outdoor. It was the most expensive of all the models we considered and it had the least value to us, things they put money into; we didn't care about. Good lord who makes a RV without a TV outside

The outside TV is used about 50 / 50 with the inside main TV ( that we converted to Samsung by the way). We tailgate a lot and we convert out backyard near pool into what we call the Sunstar Patio and the Outside TV is used all time. On a nice night we go outside at home and watch a movie on Sunstar Patio and have dinner. It also allows my wife to watch something of her choice if I wish to watch some sports outside. The 3rd TV in the bedroom is used the least, but it is nice when everything else is shutdown to lay in bed and watch TV. We have a switcher so we can have all 3 TVs display the exact same thing, really good when tailgating, all of video and sound is aligned and in sync.

FWIW we have 7 TVs in the house. This is why I can't afford to buy gas for my RV
Old 11-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #29

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
We absolutely need 3 TVs, we ruled the Baystar Sport 2813 out because it did not have an outdoor. It was the most expensive of all the models we considered and it had the least value to us, things they put money into; we didn't care about. Good lord who makes a RV without a TV outside

The outside TV is used about 50 / 50 with the inside main TV ( that we converted to Samsung by the way). We tailgate a lot and we convert out backyard near pool into what we call the Sunstar Patio and the Outside TV is used all time. On a nice night we go outside at home and watch a movie on Sunstar Patio and have dinner. It also allows my wife to watch something of her choice if I wish to watch some sports outside. The 3rd TV in the bedroom is used the least, but it is nice when everything else is shutdown to lay in bed and watch TV. We have a switcher so we can have all 3 TVs display the exact same thing, really good when tailgating, all of video and sound is aligned and in sync.

FWIW we have 7 TVs in the house. This is why I can't afford to buy gas for my RV
We use our outside TV the most.
With our Winegard Trav’ler and DISHnet, we can watch most anything, anytime, anywhere.
And today, with 80 degree temps here in SoCal, we pulled the RV out of the barn and parked in the yard so I can watch football on the outside TV under the awning.

Livin’ the dream!
Old 11-21-2021, 06:51 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Hi what is the highest AH on a group 31 AGM & WHO makes???
I found this
Group 31 Dual-Purpose AGM Battery, 105 Amp Hours also
Can a 250 AH group 31 fit in Vegas or all same size and price issue?

6v and 12v AGM batteries are available in 1 to 250 amp hour range. You can use AGM batteries in a variety of applications including solar battery banks, utility and all terrain vehicles, golf carts, and motorcycles.
125 AH is the most I have seen in any Group 31 AGM 12v. It is made by VMax Tank. vMax tank also make a 6vdc version but they state for RV House application the Solar SLR 125 is the best.

https://www.amazon.com/VMAXSLR125-2-.../dp/B00NLQQE1E

Call Vmax tank directly to see if they can't beat that price?

I have asked for months and no one has ever been able to produce a battery that had more than 125AH in Group 31, most are 110 AH.

Also, if I were you; I would avoid the Dual Purposes AGMs. You seem like the type that is going to want the best of the best. Reason: You don't need a cranking battery, you need the best battery possible for energy AH capacity.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #31

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
We use our outside TV the most.
With our Winegard Trav’ler and DISHnet, we can watch most anything, anytime, anywhere.
And today, with 80 degree temps here in SoCal, we pulled the RV out of the barn and parked in the yard so I can watch football on the outside TV under the awning.

Livin’ the dream!
Yes

and when we are on the road and the DW need to go to a store shopping or something, I have no problem going in the RV as essentially I can still be at home and watch whatever it was I wanted to see. She can take all the time she wants.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2021, 09:00 PM   #32

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
My 2016 Thor Siesta 24ST- Requires some method of charging the Chassis (engine) battery when stored and the engine is not run for a long period. Shore power does not charge the chassis battery. Mercedes has a neg. terminal disconnect alongside the accelerator pedal to preserve battery charge.
Clumsy procedure, and an alternative is solar panel or a trickle charger when plugged in..
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #33
MSK

Model: Palazzo 37.4 Former ACE30
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1590
My Thor Palazzo come with both solar and a residential refrigerator. I store it at an inside facility with shore power. When we are getting ready to take a trip I normally have it parked outside my house for several days. I don't have a 50 amp hook up and although I could run a 20 amp extension cord with a 20/30 and 30/50 set of adapters I would prefer not to. I've found that the solar allows me to run the refrigerator and provides enough charge that it can run through the night and everything is topped off the next day. A "necessity" no, but definitely a handy "nicety".
Old 11-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post
My Thor Palazzo come with both solar and a residential refrigerator. I store it at an inside facility with shore power. When we are getting ready to take a trip I normally have it parked outside my house for several days. I don't have a 50 amp hook up and although I could run a 20 amp extension cord with a 20/30 and 30/50 set of adapters I would prefer not to. I've found that the solar allows me to run the refrigerator and provides enough charge that it can run through the night and everything is topped off the next day. A "necessity" no, but definitely a handy "nicety".
Follow what you say and agree with Solar is great when no shore power is available, but I would think that having AC running when at a home to be a necessity?

When we are camping with no electricity, our fridge is on propane and we can run 2 full days off the AGM batteries without going below 12.5vdc; so not much load. Also we have never camped anywhere where we went 2 full days without driving the RV or the genset running for some need. Consequently, I have never had a moment where I said, gee I wish we had solar.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #35

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Absolutely. 3class A’s and former Sprinter and never had solar. This new Sprinter with 100 watts I don’t plug in anymore unless I am getting ready for a trip. I used to need to plug in all the time to keep the batteries charged up. I added a dual controller so the chassis gets 20%/House 80. The way RV’s usually just sit, solar is a nice addition for maintaining the batteries. Required? No. Very nice to have? Yes
Old 11-28-2021, 01:06 AM   #36

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Follow what you say and agree with Solar is great when no shore power is available, but I would think that having AC running when at a home to be a necessity?

When we are camping with no electricity, our fridge is on propane and we can run 2 full days off the AGM batteries without going below 12.5vdc; so not much load. Also we have never camped anywhere where we went 2 full days without driving the RV or the genset running for some need. Consequently, I have never had a moment where I said, gee I wish we had solar.
The 2022 Thor Vegas/Axis has DC or AC fridge only
That is…no more propane fridge option

So the equation has changed

Everyone (from the current President, down…) is trying to move us away from fossil fuels.

I like solar, but not on cold, cloudy, short winter days.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:35 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:

What kind of batteries and how many AHs? And how do you heat?

Solar can do nothing for my fridge as long as I have the absorption. If it were fully charged, my batteries would be dead 4 hours later and my genset would have to kick on and be used anyway. To be clear, I like and support the move to Solar too, I use Solar in other applications and think it is great. I was just trying to see if Solar ( that I don't have in my RV would give me any benefit) I concluded from earlier responses that if I had to store some place long term with no shore power it would make sense for me.

On a side note, I kind of think my batteries when not in use do not drain anywhere near what most tend to imply. For instance, it has been 6 weeks since my battery has been on shore power and it is still sitting at 12.9 vdc. Now I did drive it about 22 miles 45 minutes during that time. I have 125 AHs available with a full charge.

I can't see buying a new RV anytime soon, but I can see my next RV coming with Lithium's and Solar. But I will buy it like that, not make mine like that because thus far; I don't see the need ( if that makes sense?)
Old 11-28-2021, 01:38 AM   #38

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
... I like solar, but not on cold, cloudy, short winter days.
I like solar... ESPECIALLY on cold, cloudy windy short days in Ohio winter. Even though the MH is covered, I have one 100 watt panel exposed. Plenty of power still gets to the batteries... and the charge controller automatically cycles to keep sulfation at bay - unlike a basic trickle charger.

In 3 or 4 days I'll go out and fire up the genny and coach engine - run a heater and dehumidifier for about an hour. Check the batteries... then button it up for another undisturbed month.

I love my propane stove, propane furnace, propane water heater AND generator. Our only limitation for boondocking is water. All electric for us is ridiculous and not even an option. Solar is merely a supplement to keep batteries charged without running the genny... which we can easily do in cooler weather. But.. we DO run the generator if needed... that's what it's there for.

REPEAT: Solar IS NOT essential by any stretch... but to me it's just like having TVs in your motorhome. They are both WANTS, not NEEDS.
Old 11-28-2021, 01:41 AM   #39

Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
THOR #12484
Quote:

Everyone (from the current President, down…) is trying to move us away from fossil fuels.

I like solar, but not on cold, cloudy, short winter days.
Agree completely.
I miss my propane stove and refer that I had in the Axis. I could boon-dock for days when no A/C was required. This induction and compressor refer sucks battery life. Solar for keeping the batteries charged while sitting and little else is where I’m at.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:05 AM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:

REPEAT: Solar IS NOT essential by any stretch... but to me it's just like having TVs in your motorhome. They are both WANTS, not NEEDS.
Do you make a presumption that everyone WANTS solar? I would NOT by an RV if it did not have a TV where I wanted, but I would and I did buy an RV that had no Solar that I didn't care for.

This thread is about do I NEED solar in my circumstance, and even you are agreeing that it is not essential by any stretch. If I wanted or needed it; I would buy it like I did my AGM batteries, Safe T Plus Sumo Spring etc. oh yes and my new Samsung 40" TV to replace the factory TV that had liquid crystals leaking. I didn't want the factory TV replaced under warranty, I bought my own

It has been 2 years today and the lowest my FLA batteries ever got was 12.2 vdc, and the lowest my AGMs ever got was 12.5vdc. I have gone a full week camping / boondock and never needed solar.

In fact the more I read, the more I am beginning to believe that my coach may not have the parasitic drains that those that crow on solar must have? I may need to re-pose the question?

If your RV is in Use Mode, but everything that you can turn off is off; how long can you go before your batteries drain down to 50% SOC?

Or if it makes the test better turn the Use Switch off? For the record; I have never been able to complete any of those tests (meaning drain my batteries down to 50% SOC) before I needed to do something in the RV My guess is I can make at least 3 months with Use Switch off, and at least 6 weeks with Use switch On and everything off.