Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Are you sure of the controllers being included?

Initially when Thor said prewired, it meant just that — wires running from roof down to an area where a controller/charger could be installed and connected to batteries. This makes a lot os sense to me because running any wires up to roof is so much harder after the unit is built. While at the factory, adding a couple of wires is really cheap and easy. I’d hardly consider it 75% of the work, but installing the wires ahead of time certainly saves a lot of effort and time.
the 2019's come complete wired, controller , just no panels.... that's what I was commenting about... why not just add the panels before it leaves the factory,... if it's truth that less than 1% will use solar... why make 100% of the people pay for it...myself,... I would rather see a solar system, that you paid 75% … be complete

I keep hearing that the new thors are easy to do solar,.. just add panels... kinda like Kool-Aid.... just add water... but yet to see where some one did it and post' about it..to me it's kinda like if the tires where setting there flat, and they said all you have to do is add your own air... we give you the tires...to me even though I paid for the wires, and the controller, and the labor to install..it's worthless with no panels...I personaly would like a 300 watt set up on the roof as it's almost there.... I think... I don't wanna buy the wrong stuff... install it and not have it work.... it's doesn't work now...

Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 PM   #22

THOR #12329
I guess what Ive been trying to find out... what is the rest of the kit....what panels go to the system that they installed..... guess I have to call thor...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

......cut...... Solar simply helps to trickle charge your battery(s), nothing more, at least for the vast, vast majority of RV owners.
It's expensive relative to other options for power, or battery charging, and the sun does not always cooperate - usually at the very time you need it.

.....cut.....
I agree that many solar systems up to now have been little more than trickle chargers, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Because of cost, initial systems were typically 100 watts of solar panel in size/capacity, which in reality can’t power much if loads repeat daily. On the other hand, when discussing a system with over 1,000 watts of (nominal) panel capacity, that’s a lot more than any trickle charger.

Air conditioning remains the deal breaker for most RVers. For those who camp in cooler weather and are conservative with electric power, solar can handle a lot of the loads. If we think about all the guys who boondock and run a generator for no more than a couple of hours daily in order to charge their batteries, and who may be limited to about 60 Amps from converter, then we know they are getting by with 120 Amp-hours or less daily. And if that were the case, a solar system can deliver that much most days in order to cut on generator use. And obviously if a camper doesn’t mind running an existing generator to charge batteries, that’s an option that should cost less up front.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Looking for inexpensive solar package set up . Maybe the fold up kind to charge coach batteries .
My batteries are tandem 12 volt . How do I hook it up . 1 to positive side on 1 battery and 1 to negative side of other battery?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #25

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
'low cost' solar packages can be found everywhere....including solar controller and wiring

and yes, positive to positive, and negative to negative of the battery bank...
Old 03-21-2019, 03:53 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
You might want to look at zamp solar in Bend. They are a manufacturer but have dealers all over the area. I am guessing they could help you love in what you need.
I have heard good things about them
Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 AM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Maryland
THOR #5251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
You might want to look at zamp solar in Bend. They are a manufacturer but have dealers all over the area. I am guessing they could help you love in what you need.

Thanks! Just ordered one!
90 watt portable system with extension cable. I’m sure it’ll be used during our boondocking experiences!
Thanks for the info. Easy to hook up just alligator clip to battery bank. And has built in controller.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #28

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonjaf View Post
.....I too, don't want to "hover" in the Southwest for very long. It's beautiful, but, I get bored easy with the desert. I'm more of a woods mountain guy! Last time .....
I used to think the same way, until our trip out the canyon a couple summers ago. I still am drawn to a more hilly and temperate woodland topography, but I'll admit to a sudden closed in feeling as we were driving back East an into the trees....There is something to be said for being able to focus your eyes to infinity...and I love all of the dispersed camping options out there, that we just don't have....

sorry for the side track...back to the solar discussion
Old 03-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21793 View Post
Looking for inexpensive solar package set up . Maybe the fold up kind to charge coach batteries .
My batteries are tandem 12 volt . How do I hook it up . 1 to positive side on 1 battery and 1 to negative side of other battery?
Samlex solar has a 135 watt "suitcase kit" that might be worth a look...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #30

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I used to think the same way, until our trip out the canyon a couple summers ago. I still am drawn to a more hilly and temperate woodland topography, but I'll admit to a sudden closed in feeling as we were driving back East an into the trees....There is something to be said for being able to focus your eyes to infinity...and I love all of the dispersed camping options out there, that we just don't have....
I hear you and beginning to experience a similar thing out here. I've been out here for 2 months and the barren desert is starting to get old.

I spent a few years the Western Piedmont of NC in the Appalachian mountains just east of Asheville as a teenager. Beautiful country and I remember taking it for granted after a while.

I lived in Florida for 1.5 yrs. That got old - fast. Too hot and humid and sand gets in every crack and corner. I'm still finding it in my rig.

You seem to drive out here and then drive back home (east). You're getting that change of scenery makes someplace different all that more appealing and no one can blame you for it. We live in a free country

You're right, it's beautiful out here but it does start to wear on you, just as any place would I imagine. That said, there are some folks that would say I'm dead wrong and disagree.

The grass is always greener...I guess I was born to roam. Live and let live.

Quote:
...sorry for the side track...
me too...
Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #31

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
I installed 400 watts of Renogy solar panels (4 100 watt panels) and a TriStar MPPT 45 controller (with wall remote) in my Outlaw 29H last winter/spring for my trip to AK and the east coast. Bought controller from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, good place. Setup worked very well for me, out of 4.5 months on the road I only stayed at sites with electrical hookups for about 15 days, and only because those locations were cheap! My rig had 10 gauge wire already installed from the roof to behind the electrical panel area inside (that's what they call solar ready), I did all the rest (fishing wires to mount remote etc). The panels on the roof are in series. Also installed 2 cutoff switches between the roof panels and controller, and controller and battery connection. Coach batteries are 2 6-volt Costco golf cart batteries to replace the cheapo OEM Thor 12v ones. Oh, and made the solar panel mounts and panel tilting parts myself because places wanted SO much for that stuff. Can't imagine a rig without solar, for me. I probably spent about $1200-$1300 in parts not counting a couple hundred for the golf cart batteries.

In this photo you can see the system is providing 27.1 amps charging current to the house batteries:

azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 AM   #33

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
We also have a 25.2 VEGAS and just wondered if you had added any solar to your coach. Seriously considering a couple of portable units @ 120 watts since a lot of the time we camp with the coach in shade and the rooftop wouldn't really give us "full wattage", but we could set the portable units in more sun.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 AM   #34

State: Oregon
THOR #6934
I have to admit so far we haven't needed it. We don't boondock for very long. We haven't even added a battery, but plan to.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:54 AM   #35

Model: Quantum PD31
State: California
THOR #14713
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post
I installed 400 watts of Renogy solar panels (4 100 watt panels) and a TriStar MPPT 45 controller (with wall remote) in my Outlaw 29H last winter/spring for my trip to AK and the east coast. Bought controller from Northern Arizona Wind and Sun, good place. Setup worked very well for me, out of 4.5 months on the road I only stayed at sites with electrical hookups for about 15 days, and only because those locations were cheap! My rig had 10 gauge wire already installed from the roof to behind the electrical panel area inside (that's what they call solar ready), I did all the rest (fishing wires to mount remote etc). The panels on the roof are in series. Also installed 2 cutoff switches between the roof panels and controller, and controller and battery connection. Coach batteries are 2 6-volt Costco golf cart batteries to replace the cheapo OEM Thor 12v ones. Oh, and made the solar panel mounts and panel tilting parts myself because places wanted SO much for that stuff. Can't imagine a rig without solar, for me. I probably spent about $1200-$1300 in parts not counting a couple hundred for the golf cart batteries.
AWESOME! This is great information, thanks. I'm already looking at a zamp 540W package. For fits and grins, I went to camping world to ask about there "$59 install anything" special. Turns out... No. They will not install anything that doesn't come from their warehouse. (Surprised?) I asked how much an off-grid system would cost. Guy tells me "Oh, uh, around $2500, I think" Yeah..... Just yeah.
Oregonjaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 AM   #36

Model: Outlaw 29H
State: Arizona
THOR #10400
Yeah camping world pretty much sucks for anything besides browsing for basics you might need ASAP that Walmart doesn’t have while on the road. I used to go there years ago when I had my first camper trailer then some when I had cabover but now pretty much everything on line. I did find a local solar place after I had most everything that was about the same price and was a good info resource for the final wire and connectors etc, and face to face info which is valuable for solar installs. I had convinced myself I was going to install panels in parallel to avoid performance reductions if one or more panels had some shade, but was advised with the MPPT controller I had to do series for efficiency overall and keep the current in the connecting wiring lower (higher voltage input to controller). System worked well configured that way.
azadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #37

THOR #12329
Not to be redundant , but, question is still on the board....what panel goes with the thor system, my coach came set up with every thing but the panel... even the controller is hooked up...leaving everything as is... what panel goes with what Thor installed... can you buy the correct panel from thor...again..this is like an engine with no carb!!!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:48 AM   #38

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
..there is no 'panel' that goes with your coach, it's totally up to you as to which of the thousands of options and places to purchase them.

Thor, or any manufacturer, doesn't determine where you buy your fuel, or food, or solar panels, or satellite antenna, etc...

have fun!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM   #39
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! Pick your panel, and hook it up: power is power!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:57 PM   #40

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by azadv View Post

.......cut...... I had convinced myself I was going to install panels in parallel to avoid performance reductions if one or more panels had some shade, but was advised with the MPPT controller I had to do series for efficiency overall and keep the current in the connecting wiring lower (higher voltage input to controller). System worked well configured that way.

Really nice installation. The picture showing 325 Watts (12 Volts and 27.1 Amps) confirms you’re getting high efficiency out of your system.

Have you observed how much of an increase you get when you tilt the panels? I expect the 325 Watts was with panels tilted towards sun? How much if not tilted?

You obviously know what you’re doing, but to others who may not be as experienced, my only caution is to consider that 4 panels in series can produce fairly high voltage that exceeds ~ 60 Volts which is considered the higher range of what’s safe if “shocked”. So just be extra careful.